RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the family out for dinner yesterday in Niagara Falls and the truck refused to start after dinner.
A message came up saying Key Fob Not Detected when I went to hit the start button. Hmmm, ok, so why did the truck unlock when I hit the unlock with the fob?

So, I tried to remote start it and the truck started! Beautiful!
I then put my foot on the brake and then pressed the start button on the dash like normal and the truck shut off saying Remote Start Disabled.

Tried to restart with the remote again and again - no dice.

Ok again - now starting to get PO'd. Wife didn't have her keys with her so now what? Lets try this all over again - no luck whatsoever!

Insert many curses [email protected]$%#^%$#@??!! Why Ram chose NOT to employ an ignition where you can insert a key is bananas.

So, I removed the key fob battery thinking I have no clue on what to do next and then tried 10 more times with the same dashboard messages - no start despite the door locks activating when pressed at the fob.

Ok, now thinking of ways to set it all on fire. I waited 5 minutes and tried again - no start and same messages.

So I waited another 10 minutes and stepped out of the truck thinking it may have something to do with the seat knowing there is a driver sitting there so I got out.

Hopped back in and the truck started up as normal - WTF?

Drove straight home (an hour away). Pulled in the driveway and shut it off. Restarted the thing 3 times both with the fob and without - started every time.

Started the truck again this morning with the remote - truck started up as normal. Key fob battery is ok too.

Any ideas out there?

·
Super Moderator
4,321 Posts
The wireless signal that remote starts the truck is slightly different from what allows you to keyless entry and start your truck.
If it happens, first try walking away from the truck (out of range of the keyless entry) and try again. If that doesn't work, try using the key fob itself to push the start button in the truck, brake pedal pushed. This is how you start the keyless entry trucks if the key fob battery dies.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Happens in my Jeep occasionally too, but I've never had an issue as problematic as the OP. You *may* have a bad key fob...the electronics could be an issue or maybe an intermittent battery contact issue.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The wireless signal that remote starts the truck is slightly different from what allows you to keyless entry and start your truck.
If it happens, first try walking away from the truck (out of range of the keyless entry) and try again. If that doesn't work, try using the key fob itself to push the start button in the truck, brake pedal pushed. This is how you start the keyless entry trucks if the key fob battery dies.
MAKES me happy to have remote start and a "key" fob, no push button on dash, just saying...... :cool:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the family out for dinner yesterday in Niagara Falls and the truck refused to start after dinner.
A message came up saying Key Fob Not Detected when I went to hit the start button. Hmmm, ok, so why did the truck unlock when I hit the unlock with the fob?

So, I tried to remote start it and the truck started! Beautiful!
I then put my foot on the brake and then pressed the start button on the dash like normal and the truck shut off saying Remote Start Disabled.

Tried to restart with the remote again and again - no dice.

Ok again - now starting to get PO'd. Wife didn't have her keys with her so now what? Lets try this all over again - no luck whatsoever!

Insert many curses [email protected]$%#^%$#@??!! Why Ram chose NOT to employ an ignition where you can insert a key is bananas.

So, I removed the key fob battery thinking I have no clue on what to do next and then tried 10 more times with the same dashboard messages - no start despite the door locks activating when pressed at the fob.

Ok, now thinking of ways to set it all on fire. I waited 5 minutes and tried again - no start and same messages.

So I waited another 10 minutes and stepped out of the truck thinking it may have something to do with the seat knowing there is a driver sitting there so I got out.

Hopped back in and the truck started up as normal - WTF?

Drove straight home (an hour away). Pulled in the driveway and shut it off. Restarted the thing 3 times both with the fob and without - started every time.

Started the truck again this morning with the remote - truck started up as normal. Key fob battery is ok too.

Any ideas out there?
UPDATE!

Guess what?
It's happening again after about 12 months of no issues.
Lots of info out there in Google Land but nothing concrete.
Any suggestions out there?
Dealer claims they need to troubleshoot the truck - yeah right, I was born at night, just not last night...

I found this helpful video in case it happens again but it isn't a fix, it'll just get you going down the road.
There are suggestions to replace the battery but the fob works the locks and has been working fine for the last 12 months since it happened the 1st time.

Any-who, here is the video- the fella looks like Cap's older brother!

·
Registered
936 Posts
UPDATE!

Guess what?
It's happening again after about 12 months of no issues.
Lots of info out there in Google Land but nothing concrete.
Any suggestions out there?
Dealer claims they need to troubleshoot the truck - yeah right, I was born at night, just not last night...

I found this helpful video in case it happens again but it isn't a fix, it'll just get you going down the road.
There are suggestions to replace the battery but the fob works the locks and has been working fine for the last 12 months since it happened the 1st time.

Any-who, here is the video- the fella looks like Cap's older brother!
Thanks for sharing. I've not had an issue but good to know when I do, how to start it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts