RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just installed some locking caps. Any clean or easy way to remove the old DEF cap? I was thinking of getting pliers and ripping it out. Any suggestions help, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,807 Posts
Welcome - First post.

You are one of the first ones to be talking about owning and dealing with a 2017. Couple others have them but it is still rare to see any or talk of them here.

As for the cap issue, you must be in an area of high crime and guess moving is not an option. Looks like you already took off the old cap and replaced it with that other thing with the metal center. Never saw a locking DEF cap so that's a bit of a stumper. Think mine is just tethered on a peg or something like I see in your picture. You don't want that, cut if off. It's your truck Enjoy it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I replaced my DEF cap with an aluminum one, I just removed the cap from the tether and attached the new one to the tether. I don't know if that will work with your locking one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The locking caps look good! Still debating on getting them myself. As far as removing the tether, wire cutters would do the trick and you could get the whole thing off. You could also use a small saw blade, like from a multi tool or coping saw. It really just depends on what you want to remove (just tether or the base of tether also).

·
Registered
339 Posts
just take the pin out holding the tether on, reinsert the pin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Meowskizors, where did you find those locking caps?

·
Registered
13,807 Posts
Great picture. Wish more would show their ideas in picture. Looks good.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The locking caps look nice, do they have different keys? That would be one way to prevent diesel from getting in the DEF tank I guess.
I had seen those but I really have no need for them at this time.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Great picture. Wish more would show their ideas in picture. Looks good.
missed this thread last fall ...
my experimenting with caps , using the stainless one now , heavy , easy to grab ,
top of the cap has to be bigger , or else you grab the filler pipe , and cap is hard to pull out .
it could be made of plastic if anyone finds the right size piece of plastic .

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm glad I read this post. I just ordered those locking caps. I looked at buying the locking door awhile back but couldn't find one that wasn't chrome or at least brushed, I hate chrome. I don't live in a bad area, just when hunting parked on the side of a road, you never know what tree hugger is going by and what they will do.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Dieseldoya , you really are sticking to that " Poor Commoner " theory ..... :eek:
Yeah , $ US 104.95 , plus shipping , plus taxes , plus customs fee , plus
whatever additional surprise fee , we get at our door , on delivery , here in Canada ,
this will be around $ 200.00 Can , I understand what you are saying ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Besides, ammonia will corrode aluminum. Best stick with plastic.
I asked about the DEF-Loc sitting in a urea environment with potential contact by ammonia and was told that the aluminum alloy used for these is not particularly reactive either to DEF/urea solution or ammonia, plus the anodized surface makes it so that no bare aluminum is actually in contact with the urea solution or ammonia.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts