RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this at my 76 station yesterday, new from my last fill up. I was on E and in a rush so had to fill up. Anyone run across this stuff and had any issues?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting. I put fuel in yesterday at my local 76 in California. Didn’t see that on the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Probably the same stuff as Propel. If so I’ve never had any issues. Now days just Costco diesel for me. New tanks, frequent turnover, cheapest for CA prices.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Let me try and add some background and facts to this discussion

First-Renewable Diesel is refined/processed from feedstock of waste vegetable fats and oils. It is not the same as biodiesel. Renewable diesel does not have the drawbacks of biodiesel and seems to meet all the specifications for petroleum based diesel fuel which biodiesel does not. Several companies have proprietary processes to create renewable diesel. Note some processes seem to be able to also accommodate animal fats and others may not.

Second-Chevron purchased Union Oil, Texaco, Gulf and Tenneco over the last 30 or so years. The the process of buying and merging these companies into Chevron various parts of the new merged COmpany were either required to be sold by the US government or were sold by Chevron to help finance the purchase or because the particular facility or brand did not fit into the new vision Chevron had for iteself at the time.

THird-Somewhere along the way the Union 76 brand found its way to Phillips 66 who now controls it.

Fourth-As part of the Texaco purchase Chevron sold the their share of a Texaco/Saudi refining and marketing JV to Shell and that organization became Motiva. In 2017 Shell left the Motiva JV and it became wholly owned by Saudi Refining. Their retail products are marketed at Shell and 76 stations in the Gulfcoast and Southeast US. Motiva licensed the use of 76 brand from Phillips. Motiva licensed 76 stations seem to have the word Motiva to the right of the traditional 76 logo.

Sixth-In 2015 Motiva announced it was going to add a renewable diesel processing unit to its Port Arthur refinery. I presume, but do not know for sure, that that plant is now up and running and would likely be the source of the renewable diesel showing up at 76 stations.

From what I can see it should be safe to use as petroleum diesel and does not seem to have the limitations that biodiesel has on oil change intervals. It isn't clear to me if it has the added lubricity benefit that biodiesel has. It also isn't clear if the 76 renewable diesel product is 100% renewable diesel or just a blend. Propel seems to be 98% renewable diesel.

ANyhow, that is combination of what I know I know and what I think I know about the subject.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Interesting. And thanks for a good explanation, howie12. Renewable is different than biodiesel. For what it's worth, I contacted Propel to inquire about maintenance interval. Bottom line, their fuel is not biodiesel, and is manufactured to the ASTM D-975 spec of #2, and the regular maintenance schedule is followed.
I'm very interested in this 76 fuel if it's the same. I love filling with Propel but I do wish it took off and had more availability.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Big question: How much was it per gallon?? I emailed Unocal 76 to ask for info and where avail. since their website has no mention of it.
This is big news for us Ecodiesel owners in CAL as 76 will have a bigger dist. network than Propel and since the EGR and soot are our problem, especially after the upcoming settlement-ECM flash, renewable diesel burns so much cleaner that is our answer to us not being able to have a GDE tune.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi: firemedic.br... $8.99!!! For that price it should be "Rocket fuel".
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie. "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
Haha, I wouldn't have paid that, the $8.99 was cost for a pack of American Spirits cigs.
I believe the diesel was $3.50ish/gal

·
Registered
772 Posts
Haha, I wouldn't have paid that, the $8.99 was cost for a pack of American Spirits cigs.
I believe the diesel was $3.50ish/gal

Hi: firemedic.br... Where I live those "Native smokes" would contain some "Bud" for that much at least!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi: firemedic.br... Where I live those "Native smokes" would contain some "Bud" for that much at least!!!
Cali is right there after the 1st. Cali grown !

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
It seems to me there will be a limited supply of this fuel since the feedstock is waste vegetable oils and fat and waste animal fat. There is only so much of that available to collect and it is unlikely to be practical to collect it countrywide. High concentrations of restaurants or meat processingare likely to be good locations.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ran a 96' cummins on wvo for almost 5yrs., got greedy or cheap and tried to use to much and not filtered good enough and wore the rings out, surprisingly never had to replace an injector. The engine oil sure did stink when changed. Ran 920miles on $20 of diesel fuel once. Would get wvo hot and strain through t shirt and put in truck, it did smell great!

·
Registered
351 Posts
For renewable fuel, there were restrictions on land from which the feedstock could be grown. Biomass grown on federal lands, tree crops or byproducts, and land only cultivated after 2007 were excluded under the standard.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts