RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were discussing the cost of a possible repair vs plopping down the $4k for an extended warranty that we may or may not need.
From what I've seen on this forum, regarding failures, it seems most would be paying about 50% of what a warranty costs for said repairs.
What are the common failure points: EGR cooler, TPS/throttle pedal ?
Excluding catastrophic failure, what would be the average repair bill for the common failures?

If we don't go with an extended warranty I'll probably do a EGR cooler delete when it fails.
I don't foresee top end problems since the EGR is disabled.

Just trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger on an extended warranty or wait and see what happens.

edit: this is my wife's truck, occasional light towing, always reaches operating temp when driven.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The devil is in the details.

Miles? Age? New? Used?

Where are you buying this extended warranty from? If you buy it from a dealer, be prepared to bend over and get it hard.

Or, go online for much, much less. I bought the Mopar Max Care 7 year, 100,000 mile $100 deductible for $2145. After 12,000 miles or one year of ownership, the price goes up. This warranty is transferable, giving my truck extra value for resale.

I'm getting that age where I can afford it, and I just don't want to deal with any issues. And I got my truck so cheap buying the extended warranty was really paid for ($30k OTD)

Plus since I paid for one, I'm pretty much guaranteed nothing will ever go wrong!

http://www.factoryplans.com

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I can only assume, but the vast majority of all the failures we have heard and read about were covered under the factory warranty.

It is my long standing belief that extended warranties are not worth it.

Personally I would buy a new truck every 2-3 years to maintain factory warranty before I would spend 4,000 on an extended warranty.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Depends on mileage. Factory to 100,000 is a winner. AEM after that is another winner for another 40,000 miles. Put those two "free" warranties together and you just may pass all the mileage and time an expensive after-market warranty would cover.

Also remember that some after-market warranties can be questionable to get to cover anything. Those companies are in the business to make money, not pay out money. You want to make money, buy stock in a warranty company. Think about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts