RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went off advice from here that replacing the rear 2ohm door speakers with 3ohm wouldn't hurt anything. Well, I finally put in my JBL Club 3ohm rear speakers yesterday, and the clarity is a huge improvement, but my bass from my subwoofer is gone. I haven't checked it yet, but it feels like the only bass I'm getting is from the speakers, which appear to be working fine. I have replaced all 3 dash speakers with 3ohm, no issues, front door speakers are factory 2ohm, and rears are now 3ohm, with factory subwoofer. All factory amps.

What is going on here? Are the 3ohm speakers throwing my amp out of whack? What can I do to fix this? Everything was great until I put the rear door speakers in... Would like to find a fix to keep the rear door speakers in there, because the clarity is night and day better.

I do have a Rockford Fosgate 2ohm sub that's on standby ready to be installed as well.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I went off advice from here that replacing the rear 2ohm door speakers with 3ohm wouldn't hurt anything. Well, I finally put in my JBL Club 3ohm rear speakers yesterday, and the clarity is a huge improvement, but my bass from my subwoofer is gone. I haven't checked it yet, but it feels like the only bass I'm getting is from the speakers, which appear to be working fine. I have replaced all 3 dash speakers with 3ohm, no issues, front door speakers are factory 2ohm, and rears are now 3ohm, with factory subwoofer. All factory amps.

What is going on here? Are the 3ohm speakers throwing my amp out of whack? What can I do to fix this? Everything was great until I put the rear door speakers in... Would like to find a fix to keep the rear door speakers in there, because the clarity is night and day better.

I do have a Rockford Fosgate 2ohm sub that's on standby ready to be installed as well.
Is nothing coming out or is it just really quiet? Double check connections.

Keep in mind, a jump from 2ohm to 3 ohm is a 50% increase in resistance... That is a big change.

I'd put the old ones back and see if the woofer comes back to life. You will have your answer then.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,169 Posts
Try reversing the polarity of the subwoofer speaker itself. Also make sure the dual coils are wired the same polarity.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is nothing coming out or is it just really quiet? Double check connections.

Keep in mind, a jump from 2ohm to 3 ohm is a 50% increase in resistance... That is a big change.

I'd put the old ones back and see if the woofer comes back to life. You will have your answer then.
Old ones are gone...can't find any 2ohm rears anyways. Would rather find a fix for this so I can keep the rear speakers in, they made a big difference in clarity. I haven't checked if they have sound coming out or not, but it doesn't feel or sound like it. I will be checking that tonight.

Try reversing the polarity of the subwoofer speaker itself. Also make sure the dual coils are wired the same polarity.
What do you mean reverse it? How would I do that? I have never disconnected the sub or anything, so it's wired as it would be from the factory. All I've done is remove it from the box (while wired) to add poly fill, then put the screws back in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't appear I've lost any volume, or power to the speakers themselves, just the sub. Speakers are very very clear, and front factory door speakers are still pushing hard with bass like they were before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Crutchfield, and they seem pretty much stumped about this, called the guy who installed the speakers, and he verified he didn't touch anything with the subwoofer or the amp. One of the guys I talked to at Crutchfield said to check the fuse. Do these trucks only have one amp? I see fuse F 71 says amplifier. Would the speakers still be working if the amplifier fuse was blown? I'm not sure how these trucks are wired up, not sure if the speakers are wired directly to the head unit and the amp is completely separate or how it was done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your speakers are out of phase it will sound like you have no bass. Most likely easiest to switch the polarity on the sub vs all the other speakers to test this theory.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,169 Posts
^^^^ what he said
It was a bit on the early side I guess when I posted. It may be you rear speakers causing the out of phase. Usually a tip off it's a phase issue, the speaker still moves like it's playing but the sound isn't right.

·
Super Moderator
2,669 Posts
As stated above a couple times, most aftermarket subs nowadays have a switch to reverse polarity if this type of situation occurs so it's easy to test. Obviously the factory sub doesn't have this option so you can either reverse the wires at the sub or at each set of speakers, front doors, rear doors, etc.

Another test I usually do is verify speaker polarity using a 1.5 volt battery to be sure they are all wired the same. Sometimes they are marked incorrectly or the wiring adapters don't keep the polarity in phase.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your speakers are out of phase it will sound like you have no bass. Most likely easiest to switch the polarity on the sub vs all the other speakers to test this theory.
^^^^ what he said
It was a bit on the early side I guess when I posted. It may be you rear speakers causing the out of phase. Usually a tip off it's a phase issue, the speaker still moves like it's playing but the sound isn't right.
As stated above a couple times, most aftermarket subs nowadays have a switch to reverse polarity if this type of situation occurs so it's easy to test. Obviously the factory sub doesn't have this option so you can either reverse the wires at the sub or at each set of speakers, front doors, rear doors, etc.

Another test I usually do is verify speaker polarity using a 1.5 volt battery to be sure they are all wired the same. Sometimes they are marked incorrectly or the wiring adapters don't keep the polarity in phase.
So just doing a rear speaker install can affect the sub? Is everything running off one amp or something? Crutchfield was saying the sub is wired separate. Just trying to learn.

So pull the sub, cut the wires, and reverse them, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing is working. Do I need to have the guy pull out the newly installed 6x9s and reverse the wires or something?

Is the amp trying to push more power to the rear speakers now?

Guys I have no clue here... Not happy right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fuse is fine. I installed a 2ohm 150rms RF sub and it has the same issue. Tried the wires wired up both ways, could hardly tell a difference. The sub is getting power to it, and it is working, but barely enough to make any difference. The front door speakers are putting out way more bass than the sub.

Giving up for tonight. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts