RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know if the replacement ecodiesel engines are upgraded to prevent lower end failure or are they the same time bombs just waiting to blow again???

·
Registered
388 Posts
Soon we will know what the 3rd gen has changed and whats interchangeable.

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
262,000 so far on my time bomb. 371,000 on my first time bomb. Before internal leaking EGR cooler led to low coolant and hot spots that likely led to her pushing a head gasket. I think if it weren't for government mandated EGR soot recirculaters and EGR coolers she might be known as a lil gem.

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
I don't think anybody here believes 5% if it is that is an acceptable failure rate by 100,000 miles for a gen 2 ED. Although I think some new members who have had a failure and read the failures thread might believe its 50%. (joking) I do believe Ram / VM Motori knows why so many gen 2s fail but cannot put themselves out for the liability that could come with acknowledging that. I do not expect the failure rate on gen 3 EDs to be anymore than industry norms.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The problem with these "time bombs" is there's no rhyme or reason to them. I mean, if one could say "serial numbers between this and that are bad". That is one thing. The ONLY reason I assume I have a good engine is simply because it hasn't failed yet. I love my truck and will likely not have an engine failure. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way, but I bet I'm not the only one that crosses my fingers every time I take my family for a ride.
And then when it does happen to you and your bomb does blow up, does it really matter what the percentages are? Anyone with a failed engine still happy about the low percentage of engine failures? When/if my engine blows up, the only percentage that will matter to me is that 100% of the rams I've owned have had engine failures. That too high.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yep, I agree with a lot of what UNSTUCK said.

Ive posted it a few times, this is the best truck that I have ever owned. The thing I hate about it is the potential for it to become the worst at the drop of a hat.

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
If post warranty and having AAA still leaves you driving in fear that one day she may stop. And that you may be in an area where you are stranded without a phone or help. Then the fear is not worth the reward and you should find yourself another vehicle.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I joined the forum to do my research before buying my truck. And even though my oil analyses have been stellar, I still find myself going, "Hey! Was it making that noise before???" Well, at least the truck is now paid off. And it's been so good that I have no need to change vehicles. I really believe it will last the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
922 Posts
I beat on my chest and said; "What me worry?" and headed down the Alaskan Hwy for ten weeks, and had a great time, my Ecodiesel was the least of our worries.

Besides, were retired, not that being stranded will make us late for work or something....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts