RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my air suspension started acting up last year, and Im finally getting tired of living with it. Im researching replacement with standard type coils and shocks, and I think a cost effective system is the Rancho brand and installing them myself.
Model numbers are RS999930 and RS999944 for the fronts and 2X RS999367 for the rears with OEM mopar springs.
Pretty sure I can do the job, only thing is I dont know if their front units will handle the added weight of the diesel since I think they are tuned for a hemi. I would think worst case scenario they might settle a little lower than the supposed 2" lift they are designed for (which I think is a great fit for the Hemi Rebel Ram) but if anybody has experience with this setup on an Ecodiesel please chime in. If I can end up with a 1-2" lift front and rear over the "standard" air supsension height, or at about offroad 1, that would be perfect for my uses.
Thanks.
Oh, and also while Im in there what other suspension joints/parts should I be replacing up front, since I have almost 120,000 miles now.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I don't think the diesel is much heavier than the hemi.

I hate to see perfectly good expensive options like the air suspension butchered.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to have to install coil springs too, but an upgraded adjustable system will be far more affordable than replacing my air system. Plus I wont have to deal with another expensive fix just a few years later, which is what a lot of people are complaining about.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I understand your frustration but if you're willing and able to replace your suspension why not just replace the leaking air springs?

Back in January I picked up a replacement kit composed of springs and compressor from Suncore Industries and have been thrilled that the system has performed perfectly. Typically I would get freeze ups when the temp got below 15 degF - the system would go down to the bumpstops until it warmed up. Came to realize - thanks to @UHBrandt and others here - that there are pinhole leaks that develop in the bladders where they fold over each other. When it's cold the rubber material isn't as pliable and the air/nitrogen leaks out; once it warms up the rubber seals itself and the system operates normally.

I used the AlphaOBD app to deflate each corner as I replaced the spring and the entire job took less than three hours. When I started up the truck it raised and lowered much quicker and has operated flawlessly even through that patch of -5F weather we had for a couple of weeks in February. I will be replacing the compressor that came with the kit and the solenoid block that didn't next week and will refill the system with nitrogen which will (hopefully) eliminate any freezing issues in the future.

A good quality coil spring and shock combo will run you at least as much as the air spring/compressor kit from Suncore and you lose the benefits of the air suspension - at least that was the logic I followed. But it's your choice. Here's a link to the kit I purchased:

Ram 1500 Air Suspension/Compressor Kit

If you have any questions ask away.

Bob

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thanks for the advice from those who recommended keeping my system intact. Even though many have complained online that these systems continue failing, I will give it a shot. I ordered one rear suncore spring, to replace the spring I think has failed. My left rear has been sagging overnight for at least 5-6 months now, and sometimes it drops a couple inches in just an hour or so. Ill seek out instructions on the replacement procedure and hope it solves my problem. And by the way Im in Florida, so its not cold weather that is the problem. Hate to admit its probably the fact that I have have abused it by loading up to 2 tons in the bed a number of times to haul heavy building materials. Other than the error message for the suspension while driving, the truck seemed to handle it fine. Of course I drove super carefully, but hauling two tons for 20 miles down backroads couldnt have helped.
Paying for that now, and Ill leave those loads to my Duramax truck with the trailer from now on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts