RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The guys over at Fourwheeler.com got their hands on a 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel (Laramie Long Horn 4x4), hooked it up to a trailer, loaded it up to near max towing capacity, and took her for a spin. While some 2WD versions of the Ram 1500 Diesel are rated to tow up to 9,200 pounds, the Laramie Long Horn 4x4 is rated to tow 7,300 pounds. Rather than a boring flat ground review they decided to push the 3.0L Diesel into some knarly grades exposing it to an impressive 11,000 foot elevation changes. The highlights include quiet operation and plenty of power. John Cappa, Editor in Chief of Fourwheeler, said:

The first thing we noticed is how quiet the 3.0L EcoDiesel is. It's a pleasure to tow with. It’s far more relaxing to drive than the rumbling and sometimes guttural Hemi V-8 gas engine, which has an appeal all its own. Our 3.0L backed with the eight-speed transmission and 3.55 axle gears was always able to maintain a minimum of 55-60 mph on our brutal test route. While ascending the steepest areas on the route, which included the 6 percent grade of the Grapevine, we had our foot to the floor and the V-6 was spinning at 4,000 rpm for several minutes in order to maintain 55 mph. On less steep sections the little diesel quietly motored along between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, and still had enough reserve power to make passes.
If you are wondering about fuel economy under max towing capacity and unloaded you will come away very pleased with their results. Remember folks, they tested under some pretty nasty grades:

During our harsh max-capacity towing lap we were able to drag the 3.0L’s fuel economy down to a respectable 13.8 mpg. We say respectable because many 1/2- and 3/4-ton gas trucks have trouble mustering even double digit mpg on this section of highway at full towing load. With the trailer unhitched, it’s easy to take the EcoDiesel’s fuel economy into the the high 20s. The 3.0L diesel in our Ram purred at 1,900 rpm at 75 mph. On a 440-mile highway, mountain, desert, and Los Angeles traffic infused trip we managed to reach 26.1 mpg without much effort. This kind of mpg performance gives our EcoDiesel Ram about a 700-mile range between fuel stops when unloaded. We're sure that frugal hyper-milers could do far better than us and easily reach 30 mpg or better with an unloaded truck on mostly flat highway commutes.
There you have it folks. A fully loaded out 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel Laramie Long Horn 4x4 --that's a mouth full-- pulls some very impressive numbers (no pun intended)

Source: Fourwheeler

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
From my experience with the 2.8l VM, you don't want to keep it at 4000 RPMs. The EGTs skyrocket, and the engine starts to get hot. I have no issues towing my 4800lb "Box" at 55 to 60, WOT, at 2700 RPMs in the Jeep. This is from experience towing Northbound on Hiway 15, Future Interstate 99, in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is there a way to monitor EGTs from the cabin? I didn't see anything from the manual that was posted. If not, the Edge performance Monitors are killer when it comes to monitoring EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
274 Posts
On the Towing question:
I know that ratios amount alot to the rated towing capacity but is that just for performance or can it destroy the differentials? for instance RAM HEMI with 3.92 gears give it around 10K towing, the 3.55 is ~8.5K and the 3.21 is ~6K. If I had 3.21 gears and tried to tow 8,000# would it just be a turd and stay in low gear pulling the load? or would there eventually be physical damage?

Reason I ask is because I am empty most of the time and have 1-300lbs of tools and gear for work in the cab/bed or tow 2-3K However every few months I need to tow 5-7K would the truck rated at 6K towing self destruct or just be a turd for the day?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
On the Towing question:
I know that ratios amount alot to the rated towing capacity but is that just for performance or can it destroy the differentials? for instance RAM HEMI with 3.92 gears give it around 10K towing, the 3.55 is ~8.5K and the 3.21 is ~6K. If I had 3.21 gears and tried to tow 8,000# would it just be a turd and stay in low gear pulling the load? or would there eventually be physical damage?

Reason I ask is because I am empty most of the time and have 1-300lbs of tools and gear for work in the cab/bed or tow 2-3K However every few months I need to tow 5-7K would the truck rated at 6K towing self destruct or just be a turd for the day?
IMHO, it would put more stress on the transmission. 3.55 is a good gear for this truck. I made a chart up, and compared it to my 3.73 in my Jeep, and even compensating for tire size. I wouldn't go 3.21 unless you aren't going to be towing much, or you live in a very flat area.

Is there a way to monitor EGTs from the cabin? I didn't see anything from the manual that was posted. If not, the Edge performance Monitors are killer when it comes to monitoring EVERYTHING.
Only way to monitor EGTs is with a Pyrometer inserted into the exhaust. When I get mine, that is one of the first things that I want to do. And, because this vehicle has a DPF, a higher gauge is needed due to the extreme temperatures during regen mode.

·
Registered
274 Posts
IMHO, it would put more stress on the transmission. 3.55 is a good gear for this truck. I made a chart up, and compared it to my 3.73 in my Jeep, and even compensating for tire size. I wouldn't go 3.21 unless you aren't going to be towing much, or you live in a very flat area.
unfortunately 3.21 isn't offered with the diesel only 3.55 and 3.92 as of yet according to the build and price site so I may be good with the 3.55

Only way to monitor EGTs is with a Pyrometer inserted into the exhaust. When I get mine, that is one of the first things that I want to do. And, because this vehicle has a DPF, a higher gauge is needed due to the extreme temperatures during regen mode.
Not sure about this truck but my work fords and my 03 Dodge Cummins monitor stock and can be viewed through the OBDII with the Edge insight

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
LCR;274 Not sure about this truck but my work fords and my 03 Dodge Cummins monitor stock and can be viewed through the OBDII with the Edge insight[/QUOTE said:
If the truck has a built in Pyrometer, then you can access it from the OBDII. I can't tell you which trucks do or don't. I know my Jeep Liberty doesn't, and I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold for one. This one, I will do whatever is easier, which may be post turbo on the downpipe if it doesn't have a pyrometer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have no Idea what all the info on the spread sheet means but I'll put it together tomorrow.

Also didn't realize that TDs would come WITHOUT a pyro from the factory. Seems like a no brainier on something that gets that hot, I guess light duty diesels don't get near as hot as in a 3/4 ton truck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That kind of fuel mileage while towing is quite impressive. I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and when I tow 7000 pounds I average about 8-9mpg according to the computer. I've seen as low as 7mpg though :(

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have no Idea what all the info on the spread sheet means but I'll put it together tomorrow.

Also didn't realize that TDs would come WITHOUT a pyro from the factory. Seems like a no brainier on something that gets that hot, I guess light duty diesels don't get near as hot as in a 3/4 ton truck.
I don't know of any off the top of my head that comes with a pyro. Banks Power | Why EGT is Important

Also, that chart was made so I can compare my Jeep to the Ram. But, it will give you some info on the gearing of the Ram. I used the Outdoorsman with the LT 17" tire option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
unfortunately 3.21 isn't offered with the diesel only 3.55 and 3.92 as of yet according to the build and price site so I may be good with the 3.55
I tried ordering my truck with the 3.92 and after it was sent off I got a call saying its not a valid option even though the website, and the build sheet had the option for it. Perhaps I just have bad luck but I'm fine with the 3.55. Everyone really should go to the Tow Chart before they purchase to see what the model you want can do. Higher end models have less payload and max towing due to weight. I'm fine with the max towing because I don't haul that much. However I'll have to be careful with payload.
My trucks specs are:
MAX PAYLOAD
Before Driver 1,009lbs
MAX TOWING
Before Driver 7,500lbs

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
Thanks.

Looked up that chart and found out my towing load on the one I have ordered is something like 7,850 lbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also, as a reminder to everyone, or for those of you who don't know, payload effects towing.
For example say your max payload is 900lbs after you as a driver. In this example you can tow up to 8000lbs. If you put your hypothetical 500lb 4 Wheeler in your truck bed you would have 400lbs left for payload and 7500lbs left to tow.

Now keeping that in mind you want to have a recommended 10-15% tongue weight. If you went with 10% you could only haul a trailer that is now 4,000lbs even though you can technically haul more. Why so little?
500+400=900... No payload left for more tongue weight... Depressing I know...

·
Registered
279 Posts
depressing for sure Smitty, each time I look at the tow chart and see the Laramie Longhorn at Max Payload

859lbs

that's me, my son, my nephew, dog, fishing gear and a cooler.......
that's about it... man that is a bummer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I feel the same way. I almost cancelled my order to go with a 2500 outdoorsman with the Cummins. It would of been cheaper then the 1500 I got. The only reason I didn't besides gas is because I'm upgrading from my 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 4.8L V8. With a rear axle ratio of 3.72. It's max towing is 6,800lbs. And I believe it's payload is less then 1000lbs. I've never exceeded either so I don't really need more right now. But that was an extended cab so I never had more then 1 passenger for any length of time. With my new crew cab I'll have for at least 8 years (that's when the extended warranty ends) I may have more. It'll be the nicest truck out of my friends so we'll all pile up on mine when we go some where + the efficiency. I'd be okay with the payload if trailer tongue weight didn't effect it. But I'll live. If I ever need more I'll just have to trade her in for something better.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I thought the jeep guys where talking about something that just Olga in and then there is an app that you can see all the engine details. I know this is of little help. If I wasn't so lazy at the moment I would do a search on the jeep forum. I have a 12 week wait for my truck so maybe in a month or two I'll give it a look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
depressing for sure Smitty, each time I look at the tow chart and see the Laramie Longhorn at Max Payload

859lbs

that's me, my son, my nephew, dog, fishing gear and a cooler.......
that's about it... man that is a bummer.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that if you didn't notice the 859lbs includes a 150lb driver. That's why my Payload is "larger" then what the website says. It's the same size, I just weigh more then 150 lol.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that if you didn't notice the 859lbs includes a 150lb driver. That's why my Payload is "larger" then what the website says. It's the same size, I just weigh more then 150 lol.
Don't we all! I was told that the 150-lb weight is an average of all 5 occupants including adults and children. Kinda dumb but they have to have generic standards, I guess. Personally, I look at all the weight ratings with a grain of salt. They seem to be based more on regulations than safety. Other than the stock tires the Ram appears very solid and capable of safely handling much more than the official numbers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Agreed. They should just give raw numbers before driver and let us figure it out. I have the optional air suspension. So my thought is 1,009lbs... If I load it to max and go over a bump the additional G force would way over load the suspension... They would of had to take that into consideration thus meaning I should be able to out a little more weight in it. Say an extra 2-300lbs if I'm staying on smooth terrain.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts