RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tried ordering my truck with the 3.92 and after it was sent off I got a call saying its not a valid option even though the website, and the build sheet had the option for it. Perhaps I just have bad luck but I'm fine with the 3.55. Everyone really should go to the Tow Chart before they purchase to see what the model you want can do. Higher end models have less payload and max towing due to weight. I'm fine with the max towing because I don't haul that much. However I'll have to be careful with payload.
My trucks specs are:
MAX PAYLOAD
Before Driver 1,009lbs
MAX TOWING
Before Driver 7,500lbs
Hi Mr.ASmith9: I'm a brandnew member here and it was your post that prompted me to finally join so's I could tell you my story.I too wanted the 3.92 gears but since I didn't know if it would ever be available I finally just ordered the truck w/3.55's .2 days later(March 3rd)I got a call from my dealer informing me that the 3.92 option was finally opened up.I had him change my order since it had been placed only 2 days before.I got an email from the Chrysler supply team manager cofirming the change was made.Yippee.It may not be too late to change yours depending on order status/progress.Ask your dealer if he can.Let me know how it goes.Good luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm also awhere and concerned about limited payload in the EcoD CC Laramie I've ordered.Mainly I need to carry 5(all over 150 lb.)people and it's close to payload limit but doable.One thing that makes me feel at ease is a truck shootout I saw online testing the Ram as well as all other major 1/2 ton trucks for towing,hauling, on and on.The Ram CC 4x4 with air ride won the cross country course having the best time empty as well as w/1000 lbs in back and 2 people in cab.I believe it was stated it was actually over the GVW limit but had to be tested this way because all the other trucks were too.And it still won.Maybe the payload limits are set a little on the conservitive side? Hope so

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Mr.ASmith9: I'm a brandnew member here and it was your post that prompted me to finally join so's I could tell you my story.I too wanted the 3.92 gears but since I didn't know if it would ever be available I finally just ordered the truck w/3.55's .2 days later(March 3rd)I got a call from my dealer informing me that the 3.92 option was finally opened up.I had him change my order since it had been placed only 2 days before.I got an email from the Chrysler supply team manager cofirming the change was made.Yippee.It may not be too late to change yours depending on order status/progress.Ask your dealer if he can.Let me know how it goes.Good luck
What did that change your final numbers too, Before driver (add 150 to Payload and towing.) I'm at work so I can't look it up. I'd appreciate the shared info!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm also awhere and concerned about limited payload in the EcoD CC Laramie I've ordered.Mainly I need to carry 5(all over 150 lb.)people and it's close to payload limit but doable.One thing that makes me feel at ease is a truck shootout I saw online testing the Ram as well as all other major 1/2 ton trucks for towing,hauling, on and on.The Ram CC 4x4 with air ride won the cross country course having the best time empty as well as w/1000 lbs in back and 2 people in cab.I believe it was stated it was actually over the GVW limit but had to be tested this way because all the other trucks were too.And it still won.Maybe the payload limits are set a little on the conservitive side? Hope so
I think they are very conservative. Without going into a discussion of what payload actually means (for that discussion see http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...w-much-weight-do-you-put-payload-ratings.html), I'll just point out that the Ram's air suspension can carry--according to 2013 owners who have tried it--roughly 2000 lbs of payload before going into its protection mode, and even then the truck is still drivable. I would worry more about having a well-balanced load that does not stress the tires and axles than I would about overloading the air suspension, driveline or brakes. Assuming common-sense driving, of course.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'll just point out that the Ram's air suspension can carry--according to 2013 owners who have tried it--roughly 2000 lbs of payload before going into its protection mode
Good to know!

·
Registered
189 Posts
What did that change your final numbers too, Before driver (add 150 to Payload and towing.) I'm at work so I can't look it up. I'd appreciate the shared info!
I think this is where the 9200 lb tow rating I've seen thrown around all over the I-net comes from.I didn't go on the rating site yet to see specific #'s for the truck I've ordered.It did tick me off when I found out some of the review trucks were 3.92 geared and I couldn't even order one at the time.Again now I'm glad the dealership draged it's heels,for what ever reason,before ordering my truck to allow me to change.As far as payload,mainly I just want to carry me and 5 passengers so I'm not too concerned if it does creep over the limit by a few lbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think this is where the 9200 lb tow rating I've seen thrown around all over the I-net comes from.I didn't go on the rating site yet to see specific #'s for the truck I've ordered.It did tick me off when I found out some of the review trucks were 3.92 geared and I couldn't even order one at the time.Again now I'm glad the dealership draged it's heels,for what ever reason,before ordering my truck to allow me to change.As far as payload,mainly I just want to carry me and 5 passengers so I'm not too concerned if it does creep over the limit by a few lbs.
Glad to know you got it. I called the dealership and they said I can't change my order because of the status of my truck and where it's at in being built. That honestly pissed me because my initial build sheet had it on there. It looks like the 3.55 dropped the tow rating down 1,000 lbs. But Payload stayed the same. I've decided I'm just not going to worry about it and if I haul something heavy keep an eye on my temperatures.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Glad to know you got it. I called the dealership and they said I can't change my order because of the status of my truck and where it's at in being built. That honestly pissed me because my initial build sheet had it on there. It looks like the 3.55 dropped the tow rating down 1,000 lbs. But Payload stayed the same. I've decided I'm just not going to worry about it and if I haul something heavy keep an eye on my temperatures.
I just looked up the specific tow rating for the truck I've ordered(CC 4x4 5'7"bed Laramie w/3.92) and it appears to be 8550 lbs.I assume thats with someone about half my size(150lbs.)at the wheel.As you mention the payload doesn't change with the gear ratio.I wouldn't get too concerned etheir about going a little over your 3.55 rating.Same tires,brakes and weight.With 8 spds you could just lock out whatever gear you felt was too high in the hills.I'm sure someone out there knows better then me but doesn't the ability to safely start a trailer in a hill without the risk of hurting the truck play a big part of the tow rating?One thing I like about the 8spd vs, the 6 spd I have now is the 1st overdrive(7th) is 9% lower then the 6spd.(5th).Thats a + 135 rpms @1500. even with the same rears.I'm in that gear most of the time and it's a little high for some of the driving I do.Also the 8spd has a MUCH lower 1st.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased a new EcoDiesel last month and have about 3200 miles on it. Highest MPG was on a 200 mile trip from southwest Colorado to Denver and avg was just over 30. Current mileage is 23.4. Love the truck and I am a long time Dodge owner. I do have an issue with the check engine light coming on and have been to the dealer several times. Story is it is a programming issue and they are waiting on factory fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased a new EcoDiesel last month and have about 3200 miles on it. Highest MPG was on a 200 mile trip from southwest Colorado to Denver and avg was just over 30. Current mileage is 23.4. Love the truck and I am a long time Dodge owner. I do have an issue with the check engine light coming on and have been to the dealer several times. Story is it is a programming issue and they are waiting on factory fix.
Thanks for posting, this is very useful; I'm considering an EcoDiesel order in a few months and am trying to get my hands on real world fuel economy info. Which rear axle ratio do you have, 3.55 or 3.92? Also, did the factory fix ultimately solve the CEL issue?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for posting, this is very useful; I'm considering an EcoDiesel order in a few months and am trying to get my hands on real world fuel economy info. Which rear axle ratio do you have, 3.55 or 3.92? Also, did the factory fix ultimately solve the CEL issue?
That member hasn't been on this site in like 4 months, but welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Curious about real MPG #'s from 3.92 vs. 3.55

I would like to know what the numbers are for fuel mileage on the 3.92 and 3.55 4x4 trucks are before I place my order. Thanks

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I would like to know what the numbers are for fuel mileage on the 3.92 and 3.55 4x4 trucks are before I place my order. Thanks
The 3.92's will usually only get you 1-2 mpg less on the highway. Around town is negligible. If you're going to tow heavy very often, I would get the 3.92... If not 3.55's. I have 3.55's and have towed 8500 lbs without issue. Plenty of power.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
3.55 4x4 longbox crewcab. Sticker says 18/22/27 (city, mix, highway), and I've averaged anywhere from 20MPG (winter) to 24 MPG (summer) when stock. I've got a tune on the truck now, and on summer fuel was getting about 26, and am around 22 now on winter fuel. That's all hand-calculated miles divided by gallons of fuel.

You'll see a lot of members with fuelly signatures for a reason. Outside of a very small and very vocal minority, most of us are getting exceptional fuel economy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
like others have mentioned ill ad my experience:
I have a crewcab ED 6'4" bed 4x4 3.92 and in summer i averaged city/mix/hwy = 19/22.5/26.5 but thats because of the area i live in and im sure it varies depending on road terrain.

3.55 4x4 longbox crewcab. Sticker says 18/22/27 (city, mix, highway), and I've averaged anywhere from 20MPG (winter) to 24 MPG (summer) when stock. I've got a tune on the truck now, and on summer fuel was getting about 26, and am around 22 now on winter fuel. That's all hand-calculated miles divided by gallons of fuel.

You'll see a lot of members with fuelly signatures for a reason. Outside of a very small and very vocal minority, most of us are getting exceptional fuel economy.
^^^ +1

I towed 800+ miles a 2600lb car plus open car trailer down and up canyons and mountains and into high altitudes and averaged 16-18 mpg the entire trip. overall it is great. My only wish, is if the ED could tow 15,000 lbs in CC trim =(

but we cant have everything now can we lol

21 - 38 of 38 Posts