Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 34 months and 60k miles:

0 check engine lights
0 no-starts
0 fires
0 blown engines

30.6 MPG lifetime actual, via Fuelly, had limited trailer towing so far.

2 trips to the dealer.
Trip 1, Tail gate recall and a steering wheel squeak (fixed). Trip 2, EGR cooler recall.

7 oil changes that I did myself: Rotella T6 and 5 Mahle filters, 1 OEM and 1 K&N.

3 OEM fuel filters, self.

2 Cabin Filters and 2 Air Filters, self.

Truck:
Purchased new 2018 4x4 Tradesman Crew with 6’4” bed. Chrome and Convenience package options, with carpet delete and running boards. Purchased from Fleet Sales. MSRP $45,155 Paid $33,358
I installed engine block power cord, tail gate slow open, Tri-fold Tonneau, and 2 additional 150db air horn/train horn sets. The horns are for my amusement at traffic lights. A many flying cell phones I have seen along with as many flying fingers.

Observations:
It’s a diesel not a gas engine. I plug it in overnight when the temps are below the mid-40s F. I ALWAYS allow the engine to run for a minute or two before moving the truck and drive it genteelly until warmed up. I mostly drive the truck like a grandpa (which I am) setting the cruise on the open roads in the mid-60s most of the time, but not afraid to drive it strong. However, I currently own another vehicle that I have been certified at 252 mph, I’ll drive it if I want to go fast. It's seen a LOT of Interstate miles.

Shhhh..secret : It’s been tuned since 3500 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
25 Posts
Great post RansomT. Thanks for the info. I've thought about an air/train horn in the past. Given your upgrades I'm going to see if there is an easy aftermarket for my '21. Its also a safety issue given all the idiots out there but bet you've had some funny moments after blasting it!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
About the same as mine at 115,000. Tuned and do your own service. Also getting about the same mpgs. My last 2005 hemi Ram was equally trouble free for 300,000 miles, btw.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Sounds like a great truck so far.

I dont know how yall get a lifetime average of over 30 mpg though. I can and have gotten more than 30 mpg over a tank but it takes trying and dencent weather and a vast majority of low speed hwy and no towing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great post RansomT. Thanks for the info. I've thought about an air/train horn in the past. Its also a safety issue given all the idiots out there but bet you've had some funny moments after blasting it!
I also relayed my horns in with the OEM horn, so all 3 blow when I hold down on it. There is a lead wire that goes above the fender that blows the OEM horn that was easy to act as the tigger for the relay.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a great truck so far.

I dont know how yall get a lifetime average of over 30 mpg though. I can and have gotten more than 30 mpg over a tank but it takes trying and dencent weather and a vast majority of low speed hwy and no towing.
I've almost come to the conclusion that the "lighter" trims (e.g. Tradesman) make a difference in mpg. But, it is a big gal being a crew with a standard bed.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Longhorn 4x2, 2019 Jeep Warngler Sport 2dr, 2019 Harley Road Glide Ultra
47 Posts
Similar story with my 2016 right at 60K miles now. Had an electrical gremlin at 100 miles (yes, first week of ownership) which was fixed in one visit. Had all the standard recalls and oil changes. Only other dealer visit was both front wheel bearings that went out at around 50K, wasn't expecting that, but that's the only out of pocket repair I've ever had. I can get 30mpg on the highway if I keep it under 70. Tows my 6K RV trailer with no issues. Truck is quiet, trouble free and actually quite fast! It's a Longhorn, so very nice inside too. Might of had a tune, not confirming . . . Love the truck! Next up is preventative fluid replacements, thinking transmission fluid first.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I've almost come to the conclusion that the "lighter" trims (e.g. Tradesman) make a difference in mpg. But, it is a big gal being a crew with a standard bed.
Mine is also a crew cab short bed tradesman, 3.55 gears also. I believe I did better with the original GDE tune. The EPA compliant tune doesn’t seem to be as peppy or quite as good a mileage.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The only advantages of getting older= you get better mpgs as you tend to drive slower, and of course senior discounts, haha.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The only advantages of getting older= you get better mpgs as you tend to drive slower, and of course senior discounts, haha.
Hi: HYDREX... Getting old isn't for "Sissy's. I traded in a Nissan Frontier w/170,000 kms on it due to constant SES lights (Spend entire savings). What I got to replace it has had more MIL lights (More income lost) than I care to deal with. They seem to be the bane of my existence.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you get bored, buy an old Subaru. I bought my girlfriend's old 98 Outback. Since I bought it, been replacing parts every week=$$$. Bought it to save miles on my Ram, but spent way more fixing it than it's worth.. It's like "whack a mole" fix 1 thing 2 more pop up. Does make me appreciate the super reliable Ram.

Reactions: Ecosparky
1 - 12 of 12 Posts