RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE NOTE:

The original video here notes an issue with compatibility between the BAK Industries Roll-X cover and the AMP Research bed extender. Newer models of the Tonneau cover don't have this problem, and a quick call to BAK will get you retrofit parts to solve the problem. :) The new video showing the old and new parts, and the problem solved can be seen on page 5 of this discussion.

Ordered these just ahead of the truck arriving, and as luck would have it, both popped up today.

I ordered the Bak Roll-X through a local dealer (LineX of Kirkland) and the bed mat came via Amazon.

When I picked up the Roll-X today, the shop asked if I wanted it installed. I said no, that I could handle it. The owner suggested I get a friend to help and that it would take a couple hours at most.

I installed it alone in about 35 minutes...LOL It's a bit unwieldy, but I managed. The side bars weight a couple pounds each. The Tonneau itself weighs around 40 pounds or so. Pretty light weight overall.

No drilling, 6 simple clamps, and I opted to use the wing nuts that came with it, as opposed to the other nuts to secure the Tonneau to the side bars...mostly because I didn't have the second size wrench needed to tighten them, and the wing nuts were in the same package. Either way I'll double check them for tightness periodically. (They have lock washers installed with them, so *should* be fine.)

The Tonneau itself simply lays flat on top, you secure the end near the cab first, to the side bars you clamps along the bed rails. Hand tighten the nuts, roll the Tonneau out to the tailgate, check for fit and positioning, then roll it up and tighten down the nuts. Tough to mess up, and I nailed it on the first try. Instructions are provided, but they aren't really needed, so the pictures do a great job of making it easy to understand what you need to do next.

Couple things to keep in mind:

• while a rubber seal is provided for the cab-end of the bed, and the tailgate end has seals, you should not think of any Tonneau as being "waterproof" - it will not be. It will keep most water out and if you're putting stuff back there in wet weather that's sensitive to water, maybe move it into the cab to be sure it'll stay dry. ;)
  • its vinyl over aluminum. Both material get hot in the sun, and the aluminum can burn your hand - which is why both sides, underneath, come covered in felt where you're meant to roll the cover up.
  • the vinyl is not "adhesived" to the aluminum core underneath, so you will see a bit of flapping at highway speeds, but it's minimal - certainly less than traditional vinyl tonneaus

Here it is rolled to the front. Note just behind the bed rail (in front of the roll) is the nylon strap for securing it in the rolled position. Just under the roll is the corresponding clasp for the nylon strap to securely hold the roll in place - out of the way, yet not against the cab itself.

Latching at the tailgate end is pretty clever. You can see the horizontal rectangle here, with the white plastic tang on the right end - the rectangle presses down on the pad (held to the sidebar with the brass piece and wingnut), and the white tang clicks in under the sidebar latching things securely. To open, pull the cord to the left of that rectangular part and the tang retracts, allowing you to open the cover. The tailgate does need to be opened to open the Tonneau - secure, if slightly less convenient.

Here is the cover down and locked into place - note the white tang clicked in under the side bar.

View of the cover in the down and latched position - SUPER low profile. Secure and fits very well. I'm impressed...and for $899 I'm damn glad I am...LOL (Savvy eyes will note I removed the rear seat headrests from the truck to improve visibility.)

I drove the truck after this install and it was as expected. Simply sat there, looking good with almost zero rippling of the vinyl. The latching is secure, with no play in the system. Rolls up, above the rail level, so preserves as much bed space as possible. Love that it's secure - making the bed a lockable space now, and with a weigh rating of over 200 pounds and the aluminum core under the vinyl fully covering the bed, it'll take a lot of work to get in there with the tailgate up and locked.

I would recommend this Tonneau to others. I called Bak and they confirmed the model that fits the 5'7" bed for my truck - their site doesn't have it sorted yet, but they have it, and it fits. A quick call will net you the part number, then order from wherever you like.

The installation couldn't have been simpler. It took me longer to break down the box for recycling than to install this thing. One wrench, one guy, a bottle of water and 35 minutes of time.

Installing the bed mat was literally seconds of work. Net result was exactly what I wanted - thick rubber on the bed of the truck to improve traction and protect the liner, which protects the bed...yes, I get the overkill at play here.

What can I say about the bed mat? Its a mat, it sits in the bed. It's held in place with a combination of friction and gravity (its heavy - like 30 pounds or so). Fits perfectly in my bed, too. Love that it's thick - like just shy of a 1/2 inch thick. Should easily stand up to my random bouts of DIY and motorcycle hauling. ;)

I'd recommend this to others, and at $76 it hands down trounces the Mopar unit for value - they want $298 for theirs...uhg.

Updated to include video:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I thought you were bashing the Dualliner because it traps water and grit? The bottom of the dualliner is the same DeeZee rubber mat, that can be lifted out, and cleaned under. BUT... it adds plastic to the bed walls for protection.

But I agree... a rubber mat on the floor of the bed is great.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you were bashing the Dualliner because it traps water and grit? The bottom of the dualliner is the same DeeZee rubber mat, that can be lifted out, and cleaned under. BUT... it adds plastic to the bed walls for protection.

But I agree... a rubber mat on the floor of the bed is great.
Not bashing. Often the case is people will install and forget, as its more steps and hassle to uninstall, clean and reinstall. I realize part of this thinking is me projecting some of my own bias on people, but the fact remains, more steps is often a hindrance to some folks. Not that these steps are difficult, they just convince themselves the job is bigger than it really is, delay, etc.

In fact, I've been thinking of that thread and the product. After putting in the bed mat, I started wondering if I actually wanted a full carpet kit... then looked at prices and decided to leave it as is for now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought the DeeZee bed mat from Amazon too. I really like it and have had no issues with things like gas and oil splashing on it. The rubber really saves the knees when moving around.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OP, have you installed the fixed brackets from Bak? Charly told me they have a simple fix for the problem you're seeing with the extender. They'll ship it free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had not seen this thread before today.

I just purchased a BakFlip for my new Eco. I was very tempted by the Roll-bak. It was the attached video that made me go back to the bakflip. I have the exact same bed extender. The latch system at the tailgate makes the two incompatible in my mind.

Really appreciate that video Sportsguy... didn't know it was you.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a 30+ minute chat with Charly at Bak this morning. He's sending me items he thinks will fix my problem - once I'm back next weekend, I'll see if I can get this sorted and pop up a revised video. BAK offers simply excellent customer service - they "heard" people complaining online about this issue, and engineered a fix. I'll reserve judgment until I work on my setup and have something to report.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ya I emailed with Charly and sent him a link to your video and asked about that problem. My Limited ED is on order and I've been searching for a cover and the Roll-X seems to be the best if they fix this problem.
I look forward to your update.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya I emailed with Charly and sent him a link to your video and asked about that problem. My Limited ED is on order and I've been searching for a cover and the Roll-X seems to be the best if they fix this problem.
I look forward to your update.
Funny thing was when he hopped on the call with me, he said "I think I just received an email from you..." I laughed, told him it wasn't me, but that it was likely another member here. He loved how active we all are about reaching out. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had a 30+ minute chat with Charly at Bak this morning. He's sending me items he thinks will fix my problem - once I'm back next weekend, I'll see if I can get this sorted and pop up a revised video. BAK offers simply excellent customer service - they "heard" people complaining online about this issue, and engineered a fix. I'll reserve judgment until I work on my setup and have something to report.
Sports guy, Since you've had your roll-x for a while now do you still like it? I must have missed somewhere what problems your having with it. I want a roll up cover but don't want it inside the bed. I don't need it to stop and lock in the middle of bed either so this one works for me. either open or closed. Bak gave me a price of 799 today and considering it very seriously. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sports guy, Since you've had your roll-x for a while now do you still like it? I must have missed somewhere what problems your having with it. I want a roll up cover but don't want it inside the bed. I don't need it to stop and lock in the middle of bed either so this one works for me. either open or closed. Bak gave me a price of 799 today and considering it very seriously. Thanks!
Yes, still like it. I thought I captured the problem in the video. Basically, the pads that stick out to force the system to close and lock block a tailgate extender from flipping forward inside the bed. The extender is fine when deployed, but cannot be flipped forward past the closure tabs, nor can the model I have (AMP Research) be installed from the reverse position.

It seems BAK has stepped forward with a solution. We'll see. As I visualize the problem, I'm not sure what their solution could be. Charli explained it to me, but I couldn't rationalize it mentally. I'm leaving for Europe on about an hour, so haven't had time to review the directions he sent me either. It'll have to wait until I'm home next weekend.

If you're not using a bed extender, this is hands down a winner. Install is simple. I managed it myself with the help of a couple hand clamps. Start to finish in about 35 minutes. Rolls up above the bed rail near the cab. Never touches the cab, straps hold it in place well when rolled. Well designed. You'll see aluminum shavings around during and after the install. Not wear, just from the manufacturing process. You'll see the end of them after a few weeks of use as all the tiny bits work loose from their spots. Not a lot of them, but shiny aluminum is obvious to my eye, so I noticed them.

Be sure to keep the mechanism lubes. White lithium grease works.

Deploying the cover is super easy. Open tailgate, pull on either side of the cord, roll tonneau. You can close and latch the cover with the tailgate up or down, but opening the cover requires the tailgate be down, obviously. Very secure.

I find the vinyl needs to be scrubbed well to keep it clean and shiny. The surface lends itself to grabbing a light coat of dirt. A good hand scrub, then a cleaning with a decent vinyl cleaner should do the trick.

The cover, like almost all, does a solid job of keeping water out of the bed. But water can and will get in. No easy way around this, imo. I haven't seen water moving across the top of my bed mat, though, so what little can get in is easily channel to outlets via the bed's design.

Duane

·
Registered
76 Posts
REVIEWED: BAK Roll-X tonneau and DeeZee Heavyweight Bed Mat (now w/VIDEO)

Glad you like it. I ordered mine on 9/9. Someone at the factory dropped the ball and it did not get shipped until yesterday (2 days after it was supposed to be delivered). Anyway, I should have it by next week. Looks like a well built cover.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts