RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Administrator
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometime around mid July of 2016 FCA revised the oil requirement for the Ecodiesel.

The latest Diesel Supplement to the Owners Manual for all year Ecodiesels states:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

The Mopar Tech Authority Application also reflects this revision:
DS-WK Oil Spec Change.png

This is the place to post any additional information such as FCA issued TSB's and/or Ram Owner Notifications concerning the revised oil specification.

Let's use this thread to get a list together of oils that meet the latest specs.

View attachment TSB-18-078-16 Oil Spec Change.pdf

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,864 Posts
So. Does t6 meet the specs? It would be nice to see a uoa of 5-40 vs 5-30 out of the same motor
While searching for MS-10902, I found this MOPAR catalog-
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/chemicals/chemicals.pdf
It is from 2012, so it is a bit old, but it gives a reference.

It shows the MS-10902 under the MOPAR 15W40 API CJ-4 oil as well as Shell Rotella T SAE 15W40. Those are run of the mill CJ-4 mineral oils.

I believe the keys to be 5W40, synthetic, and CJ-4. That makes a long list.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree. it's hard to imagine what other Shell Rotella the new FCA manual is pointing to other than T6. I'm banking on it - bought some today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my truck to the dealer for an oil change yesterday. I didn't look at the invoice until I got home. I was surprised to see that they had installed Shell Rotella T6 HD full synthetic. I was going to phone the dealer to inquire but I guess that is not necessary.

Very glad to see a much better oil is now approved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm glad to see the change but I just shipped $100 in 5w-30 Amsoil about 3 weeks ago for a change....now what do I do with that stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
When will this become official? Is there a website or a memo so that a warranty claim can't be refused if switching to the new revision? Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shell has $5 off per gallon rebate up to 4 rebates per person for Rotella T6...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Rotella T6

I looked at the Rotella T6 PDS and it didn't mention MS-10902, so I asked the Technical Help Desk at [email protected]

Here was the reply-
Hello Lunar Module,
Yes, Rotella T6 5W-40 meets the MS-10902 specifications. Thanks for your interest in Rotella!

Regards,

Keith Perry

Shell Technical Information

(800) 237-8645 Option 3, 1

Email: [email protected]

Technical data sheets and MSDS may be found at: www.epc.shell.com
Here is the T6 PDS
View attachment GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140008546848_201604130543.pdf

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Is this Deja vu? MS-10902

While searching for MS-10902, I found this MOPAR catalog-
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/chemicals/chemicals.pdf
It is from 2012, so it is a bit old, but it gives a reference.

It shows the MS-10902 under the MOPAR 15W40 API CJ-4 oil as well as Shell Rotella T SAE 15W40. Those are run of the mill CJ-4 mineral oils.

I believe the keys to be 5W40, synthetic, and CJ-4. That makes a long list.
It would seem to me that the MS-10902 spec is even harder to find than MS-11106. I searched for this spec on the net and all the usual places. No luck. I asked about it on BITOG, but no one really seems to care much about it because it was previously only tied to the Cummins 6.7 and there is a little statement that states "Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used." There is no such statement for the EcoD, so that rules out a couple of oils that I'd prefer to use over T6.

I sent an email to the Engineering Standards department at FCA. Hopefully they will forward a copy of MS-10902 to me. I was lucky that they sent me a copy of the previous spec, so fingers crossed.

Here are the responses from Chevron and Mobil-

Chevron DELO LE 5W40
Delo 400 LE does meet CJ-4 and ACEA E9/E7, but we do not meet MS 10902 for Chrysler.
Glenn
Edit- When I pressed Glenn at Chevron LubeTek, he told me that MS-10902 and Cummins CES 20081 are the same spec.
Me:
Glenn,
I saw reference to MS-10902 listed on page 90 of the 2014 Chevron Recommendation Guide that shows MS-10902 with (Cummins CES 20081) in parenthesis.
DELO 400 LE 5W40 is Cummins CES 20081 approved, yes?
I ask because this lube guide makes me think that MS-10902 and Cummins CES 20081 are, in fact, the same specification.
Glenn:
The Delo 400 LE does meet Cummins CES 20081, and you are correct that would translate to MS 10902.
Me:
So then it is acceptable to use where MS-10902 is required?
Glenn:
Yes
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40
The MS-10902 is a newer engine oil specification from Chrysler. Mobil does not have a product approved against this specification.
I asked them to please send this to their real technical department because I think it may just be a small oversight in recording approvals/certifications.

Edit-
Here is the reply from ExxonMobil-
Me:
Steve,
In another place I found reference that MS-10902 and Cummins CES 20081 are, in fact, the same specification.
Could you confirm this for me please?

Steve:
Lunar,
That is what I believe to be true, yes. Our Products Technical Advisor told me that the CES 20081 oil can be use where the MS-10902 specification is used.

Steve W. Scott
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Products Technology

ExxonMobil Fuels, Lubricants & Specialties Marketing Company
Email: [email protected]
US: 1.800.662.4525 (Fax: 1.262.313.2316)
Canada: 1.800.268.3183 (Français aussi)

·
Registered
83 Posts
put it in the truck for the next change
That oil doesn't meet the new spec. I'd argue that I'm then being noncompliant for warranty purposes...?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
That oil doesn't meet the new spec. I'd argue that I'm then being noncompliant for warranty purposes...?

I would argue that FCA has made no effort to notify you or me of the change and it is compliant with what it says in the book they gave you. If they felt strongly about it they would be sending us all a package advising us of the same. They would also be making an attempt to notify independent garages and oil change facilities. It is not a reasonable expectation for owners to check the website for spec changes before every oil change and I expect more oil changes are done at independent garages and by owners than by dealers and many dealers cannot get it right either.

I don't know or understand the reason for the change and personally, don't believe that the lots full of Ecodiesels awaiting shipment are waiting for an oil change. If they need different oil surely the least costly and quickest way to do so is ship them and tell the dealers to make the change.

Anyhow, don't be concerned about the warranty or being in compliance. However if you personally believe the change in oil spec is critical then use T6. I am just trying to point out that FCA's actions are inconsistent with the change being critical and surely, if they have determined it is, they are competent enough to make all owners aware of same.

All the best,

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
See edited post #16
Updated reply from ExxonMobil.

1 - 20 of 411 Posts