RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let me say that I know about pickup ride and work.
This will not be a work truck for me, I want a suburban substitute that gets MPG. I think this is the truck for me. Likely my last new vehicle.

So here is the question.

Does the ride improve with the air suspension over the stock?

A lot better? A little? Is the A/S worth the extra cost?

My 2004 Hemi(bot new) is beating my back a lot in my old age.

Wife got remodel with new carpets throughout, I get a 2015 diesel, I hope. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
OldMiner….
I was able to test drive air suspension vs non-air vs 2500 all back to back on the same loop…I ended up purchasing the air suspension…but for different reasons than ride quality…
Here are my observations:
1. I did not notice a big improvement in ride quality from non-air to air…if anything, for me, the non-air may have ridden slightly better
2. Because of the way it's programed, it's not like you actually get to choose ride height on the highway….so I was about to order non-air
3. When I dug further, to me the big advantage of the air is the self-leveling aspect… if load up the bed or hook up a trailer, the suspension will level the truck - for me that's what drove the purchase of air…
4. I plan on occasionally putting my motorcycle in the back, so the ability to put it in "kneel" mode will make loading unloading easier

Since I've had the truck about a week, there are other things to consider….
1. Aftermarket wheels and tires….the air suspension makes it more challenging and limits the options of what you can do in this area if it's something you want to do….
Without air, you can decide to lift the truck in different amounts, and that expands your wheel/tire options….
2. Weight/payload/cost..It weighs more, it's still unclear to me whether the additional weight decreases payload, or if the capability of the bags offsets the additional weight. And of course, the cost…

Others on this forum probably have more detailed info regarding the payload and specs…overall I'm quite happy with how the truck rides..

·
Registered
701 Posts
I thought ride was a little better with air, especially at highway speed. At slower speeds not much different. It was better at high speeds because it lowers automatically to Aero mode to 1) give better aerodynamics and save fuel, 2) gets better emergency handling because center of gravity is reduced; has tighter feel and handling, 3) to me, has smoother ride, just like my Mercedes air suspension offered at high speeds. Also, my kids and wife love the lowest Entry/Exit mode which is only available when parked. For those that tow, self leveling is a great feature for safety and handling. I love playing with it. I was like you, and was about to buy one of many SUVs (in diesel), so I wanted a good substitute with road manners close to the good German autobahn cruisers. I can cruise at 85-90 and feel very stable as it is riding in Aero mode, and get improved mpG vs standard suspension. Get it or you will always wonder if you should have.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Air suspension is the cats ass for towing and hualing a load! Self leveling is worth it alone... I agree with blecher, not much difference at low speeds but hwy driving seemed smoother to me!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
OldMiner….
I was able to test drive air suspension vs non-air vs 2500 all back to back on the same loop…I ended up purchasing the air suspension…but for different reasons than ride quality…
Here are my observations:
1. I did not notice a big improvement in ride quality from non-air to air…if anything, for me, the non-air may have ridden slightly better
2. Because of the way it's programed, it's not like you actually get to choose ride height on the highway….so I was about to order non-air
3. When I dug further, to me the big advantage of the air is the self-leveling aspect… if load up the bed or hook up a trailer, the suspension will level the truck - for me that's what drove the purchase of air…
4. I plan on occasionally putting my motorcycle in the back, so the ability to put it in "kneel" mode will make loading unloading easier

Since I've had the truck about a week, there are other things to consider….
1. Aftermarket wheels and tires….the air suspension makes it more challenging and limits the options of what you can do in this area if it's something you want to do….
Without air, you can decide to lift the truck in different amounts, and that expands your wheel/tire options….
2. Weight/payload/cost..It weighs more, it's still unclear to me whether the additional weight decreases payload, or if the capability of the bags offsets the additional weight. And of course, the cost…

Others on this forum probably have more detailed info regarding the payload and specs…overall I'm quite happy with how the truck rides..
Air suspension on 1500 trucks is four corner, with no springs involved.

On the 2500, I believe its only rear, and assists the coils, which actually provide the "ride" you experience.

·
Registered
281 Posts
while i would definitely purchase the a/s option again, in aero mode i don't think there is substantial difference in ride quality. i made a 200 mile trip in aero mode & then made the same trip back in normal ride height & definitely found the ride to be more comfy in normal mode. at an expense, however, of 1.2 mpg. yes, surprisingly, it does make a difference. besides, it's just cool!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I owned a 2012 Limited Crew 4x4 hemi for about two years before my diesel replaced it (and an 09 Big Horn crew 4x4 before that.) I think the air springs give slightly more chop over sharp bumps than the old coils, not enough to be bothersome but to my backside it is noticable, sporty is a good description. But, the advantages of the air suspension outweigh that minor issue, load leveling, the ability to lower while loading or unloading, aero mode, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts