RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating purchasing/installing the Rigid Industries LED grille on my '14 ED. I've watched a few installation videos with Hemi's and one Cummins. The Cummins installation video showed some fabrication, and I'm wondering if anyone has installed it yet. If so, any technical/installation/wiring advice and/or information would be greatly appreciated, as well as product review.

Links to videos/articles anyone who's looked into/installed the grille and found helpful would also be greatly appreciated.

Below is a link to the website showing grille:

Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ha not at 2K

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looks cool but not 2k cool. If I spent 2k on that light/grille guard they better send Kate Upton to do the install in the buff.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Rigid is known for being built like a tank, but you can buy about 7 of the knockoff Chinese ones for the same price. I'm all for paying a bit of a premium for made in the USA products, but Rigid pricing is crazy. I put $22 eBay 4-inch LED spot lights on my Land Rover and they work well enough for the 15 minutes a year I use them

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if it can be used with the active grill shutters on our trucks. With the light bar flush mounted in the grill, it would be sticking back a ways - my concern is that it sticks back far enough to contact or interfere with the shutters. Ideas anyone?

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
2K could light up your truck from front to rear and your house and Christmas tree and make a low rider proud. What is it made of titanium? It does look cool though. I am still looking for rear light bar that does not interfere with the hole for lowering the spare or require splicing for backup lights.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I ride a 2004 GoldWing that cost about $22k when I bought it. A friend of mine paid about $40k for one with stuff like this on it - his trunk is filled with transformers, bike weighs about 100 pounds more than mine. Spends hit time winning awards in bike light shows; however, he doesn't scrape any footpegs in the twisties. If it melts your butter, go for it! Life is short - enjoy what you have left.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i should have one on my truck in the next couple months. not sure if you want to wait that long. But, i know when they test fitted it at the wharehouse that they were made aware to look for the grill shutters.

as for people saying it is too expencive. why didnt you build your own truck? would have been cheaper. and the cheap chinese bars are just that. cheap crap. they work "decent" for the $20 they cost, but the housings fade, theyre not as bright. the list goes on. Oh, and rigid's warranty. well, its pretty much awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Coming from a jeep wrangler, RI makes the best lights hands down. You get what you pay for when it comes to off road lighting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Agreed it's extremely expensive, and their profit margin may be astounding. But it's like any company these days thats top of the line, particularly one with a military/govt application. The US govt. probably has purchasing contracts and Rigid knows they're going to pay it, so I doubt the price will come down anytime soon. Fact remains it's top of the line. Yeti coolers are in the same boat. A cooler that does an alright job is nearly an 1/8th of the cost, but people will still buy the Yeti Cooler bag just to take to the beach for 350 bucks because it outperforms the rest.

I'm assuming majority commenting on this thread own a vehicle that cost significantly more than most similar sized trucks, and usually 4 grand more (or more) than the gas engine vehicle on the same chassis.

·
Registered
232 Posts
BlueMerleBC

I am still looking for rear light bar that does not interfere with the hole for lowering the spare or require splicing for backup lights.
Not to take away from the OP. The light bar fits above the hole for the spare tire. The one I have plugs into the trailer wiring harness but if you want the reverse lights you will have to splice into the wire harness going to the tail/reverse lights which I did. I looked like you for one that you didn't have to splice in but I couldn't find one. It was very easy to splice in. When it warms up I will hard wire the rest of it.

Brake light bar.jpg
Brake light bar tire hole.JPG

Reactions: BlueMerleBC

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have about 10k in extras added to this truck. Some people drive cars that cost under 10k. However I would never add 2k worth of lights to the grille. Rigid is by far the best but not worth 2k in my book. I would build a fire on the side of the road every 10 feet before spending 2k on them lights.

Reactions: RB33

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Not to take away from the OP. The light bar fits above the hole for the spare tire. The one I have plugs into the trailer wiring harness but if you want the reverse lights you will have to splice into the wire harness going to the tail/reverse lights which I did. I looked like you for one that you didn't have to splice in but I couldn't find one. It was very easy to splice in. When it warms up I will hard wire the rest of it.

View attachment 5078
View attachment 5079
Thanks. Manufacturer????

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No worries BlueMerleBC, constructive criticism is always welcome in my book and nothing taken personal. Does anyone know of another manufacturer that's comparable in material and a little more reasonable they wholeheartedly think is a better investment for the money? I'm interested in a matte black finished, stainless steel constructed aftermarket grille that has a flush mounted LED light bar. If someone had a sure shot plug n' play alternative they found for half the price and didn't see any real downsides to I'd definitely look into and consider. That would make it easier to justify the 2.5K Road Armor steel bumper & winch underneath.

UpToNoGood, not sure if you just mistyped and understood or if you are just misunderstood, but the 2K includes the grille. I'd hope at least 75% of that cost is the grille itself. The light bar is nice, but its mostly the material and construction/design of the grille that really has me interested.

·
Registered
232 Posts
LedGlow 60" with the reverse lights.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am interested in the grill as well but 2k is a little steep. If anyone knows of a middle of the road one on price that was also decently made please post a link to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts