RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, just back from another RV trip and my 2017 Tradesman Ecodiesel hit the 40k mile mark on our way home.

I bought this truck from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho in April of 2018 for a great price, $30,000 OTD. The tune and a good Mopar Maxcare 5 year/100,000 mile warranty up the price to $34k.

Looking back, I have had mostly zero problems with my truck. When it was new I had a minor coolant leak on that little hose from the oil cooler to the transmission. I cured that with some good hose clamps. And that is all, no issues, runs perfect.

I attribute my good luck with my truck to having a GDE tune and heavy use towing our RV. Over half of the miles are towing miles. And in winter taking care to get the engine hot, everytime.

I still get on average, 14.5 mpg towing, and up to 31 mpg not towing. I average about 24-26 mpg in summer, 18-22 mpg in winter.

This is a great for truck towing, I still can be amazed at the pull I can get towing up a hill.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Great to hear.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal on the truck. I paid 35 i think for my '15, but its a cc with aluminum rims and a few other options. Just goes to show how good a time it was to buy after the emissions stuff came out. I regret not getting a second one for my wife at that time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I concur on the Ecodiesel's towing prowess! Mine is about ready for the 90,000 mile oil change. Except for getting water in a wiring harness, caused by my driving thru deep water, no problems. 1 tip to get better winter mpgs, might work for you= I keep a bulk 275 gal tank of #2 summer diesel at my house and use it thru the winter, but I watch the 10 day forecast and if it's getting below 15F will blend in 50% #1 and if it's going to get below 0F, I run straight #1. I use Diesel Clean winter additive in winter. At least here in Maine, they start cramming crappy winter diesel down our throats early on. I found a free 275 gallon tank and bought a cheap 12volt diesel pump with a Tractor Supply 2 micron filter. Nice looking TT.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I concur on the Ecodiesel's towing prowess! Mine is about ready for the 90,000 mile oil change. Except for getting water in a wiring harness, caused by my driving thru deep water, no problems. 1 tip to get better winter mpgs, might work for you= I keep a bulk 275 gal tank of #2 summer diesel at my house and use it thru the winter, but I watch the 10 day forecast and if it's getting below 15F will blend in 50% #1 and if it's going to get below 0F, I run straight #1. I use Diesel Clean winter additive in winter. At least here in Maine, they start cramming crappy winter diesel down our throats early on. I found a free 275 gallon tank and bought a cheap 12volt diesel pump with a Tractor Supply 2 micron filter. Nice looking TT.
I have no place for a big tank. But I do use Diesel Kleen too since new.

The TT is one of those tanks, still going good for a 1994 Coachman. We would like a newer model, but we can never find a floor plan we like, and we really like how this one is laid out. Everytime I think I see an RV TT that I like, I read the reviews about how it falls apart, and that just stops me cold. So I'll keep on fixing it and use it up. I keep up on the axles and suspension, I just had to replace an axle last week. We use the hell out of it. I've rode it well over 50,000 miles.

I added two 100 watt solar panels and a 1200 watt inverter this year, pretty great set up. I can make toast, watch tv, run the Fantastic all night, and it all recharges the next day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts