RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my ecodiesel about 8 months. I have a stage 2 SFT tune and full delete. I have seen multiple videos of ecodiesels letting out black smoke with no problem, i’m not sure if it’s my tune that restricts it or if there’s something else I would need to do. I don’t want to blow a bunch out, just a little bit. I have a full delete pipe all the way out the back. The only time it does anything is on a cold start if it’s 30 degrees or less.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
I have had my ecodiesel about 8 months. I have a stage 2 SFT tune and full delete. I have seen multiple videos of ecodiesels letting out black smoke with no problem, i’m not sure if it’s my tune that restricts it or if there’s something else I would need to do. I don’t want to blow a bunch out, just a little bit. I have a full delete pipe all the way out the back. The only time it does anything is on a cold start if it’s 30 degrees or less.
You have to request a smoker from the tuner. It's juvenile but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Any real tune over 50 hp for these WELL smoke under heavy throttle that is all the stock turbo can keep up with. If your tune from sft runs that clean its a stock like tune. multiple people with there tune have found on a dyno little to no power gain over stock. They could do a tune revision for more power but thats hit and miss with them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with BOUNTY HUNTER! You build a tune these days that rolls coal, then you're just asking for problems with the EPA, and IMO that makes it that much harder for guys that just want their truck to run better, forget the rolling coal and grow up. I got behind a Cummins at a stoplight & the guy had a selectable tune that had so much fuel being delivered that the engine was loading up badly and belching and burping, frankly if you wanna do that crap I hope the excess fuel washes the lube off the cylinder walls and fries your engine.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
102 Posts
Maybe I'm too old so I'm Not condoning or recommending but...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any real tune over 50 hp for these WELL smoke under heavy throttle that is all the stock turbo can keep up with. If your tune from sft runs that clean its a stock like tune. multiple people with there tune have found on a dyno little to no power gain over stock. They could do a tune revision for more power but thats hit and miss with them.
For that do happen do I need to email them?

·
Registered
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
74 Posts
I have never personally wanted an engine to "smoke" because the circles I ran in understood that a smoking engine (with the exception of 2 strokes) was a bad thing, it either meant wasted fuel or burning oil with a gas engine, as far as your truck, like other have hinted at I would go "Gray man" (Blend in) with the truck or you may receive some "attention" you don't really want ;) :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
lol, mainly just curious on how come my 60hp tune doesn’t do it but others do. Didn’t know if it was an sft thing or what.
to understand this, you have to understand what causes the black smoke. Black smoke is caused by partially/unburned fuel. this incomplete combustion comes from a lot of fuel getting dumped in to the cylinder with an inadequate supply of air.

your 60hp tune does not smoke because they tuner is not a goofball. They are commanding the correct amount of fuel for the airflow and rpm.

SO... if you want to roll coal, you have to tell your tuner to screw up the tune and command too much fuel.

Be warned though - when you roll coal you are doing a number of things that are not good.

1) Pollution - im not a greenie, but i appreciate the efficiency and power of a diesel.
2) High EGTs - you are beating on your turbine and exhaust valves.
3) law enforcement scrutiny - you will get noticed depending onwhere you are. If you find a greenie cop, they will ticket you.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
to understand this, you have to understand what causes the black smoke. Black smoke is caused by partially/unburned fuel. this incomplete combustion comes from a lot of fuel getting dumped in to the cylinder with an inadequate supply of air.

your 60hp tune does not smoke because they tuner is not a goofball. They are commanding the correct amount of fuel for the airflow and rpm.

SO... if you want to roll coal, you have to tell your tuner to screw up the tune and command too much fuel.

Be warned though - when you roll coal you are doing a number of things that are not good.

1) Pollution - im not a greenie, but i appreciate the efficiency and power of a diesel.
3) law enforcement scrutiny - you will get noticed depending onwhere you are. If you find a greenie cop, they will ticket you.
All true 60hp tunes well smoke the turbo can not keep up with the fuel required at that power level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Okay, I understand. Id rather not screw up my tune, just seen videos with people who have 40hp tunes and theirs rolls coal, I was just wondering if anyone knew why my 60hp tune didn’t or if it was an sft tune thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts