RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:unsure: I'm currently on vacation hauling a 5700 lb Toyhauler. RV Famcamp @ Hill AFB in Layton UT.
Yesterday my transmission began doing something unique; as it shifted up it felt like it was slipping a gear (missed shift on manual transmission). Today we headed 78 miles up to Evanston WY and I noticed it again in town. Return trip through the Uinta mountains AZ and at 10,000 elevation I got first error (P076f). Pulled over and plugged in my OB2 monitor, cleared code and proceeded on. Upon arriving in Kamas I got my second code (P1d9a). At this point I'm pissed because I just reprogrammed the transmission with SKT update to address an OD issue while towing. These errors are without the trailer connected so no towing.
I'm thinking it needs to go to dealership in Layton and get checked out. I have an extended warranty coverage.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since you just tuned the trans, and I assume you were running the tune at the time you had the errors, I would call SKT and troubleshoot with them first. If you can rule out the tune, then take it to the dealer

Reactions: ms14796

·
Super Moderator
2,572 Posts
And you may want to put the factory Trans Tune back before the dealer visit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just reading a bit about the codes makes me think it is tuning related. As stated above, return to stock tune and see if the issue persists. Then you'll know to contact SKT or a dealer.

Also, to reiterate, definitely return to stock before taking into the dealer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did restore the factory tune to no avail. The transmission is toast. I'm in the process of getting a new replacement.

·
Registered
212 Posts
well, at least it was relatively quick and painless to troubleshoot. too bad it resulted in a big repair, and outside warranty too i'm guessing

Reactions: ms14796

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an extended warranty that covers it. Unfortunately it will cost me $570 to get the tranny expedited to Reno NV along with the deductible for warranty. 2nd time truck has failed on vacation. Stranded with a 28' Toyhauler and no truck.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
These transmissions are pretty bulletproof. What year truck and how many miles?

What did SFT say about the codes? I wouldn't let SFT touch my truck, but that's me. My truck is worth more to me than what a bargain tuner has to offer.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2015. 68,000 miles.
Actually the SKT tunes have been excellent. Great customer service and truck runs like a scalded dog, or rather did. Ran across a # Neverbuyadodge and a Canadian couple towed their RV to Arizona and their transmission went out. Stranded for 2 weeks.
Mine is toast so getting a new replacement from Flint. I'm done with this POS! 2nd time It has broken down on vacation.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I blame the tune. And your only basis for 'excellent' is the customer service and 'runs like a scalded dog'?

How many miles on the trans when the tune was installed? How many miles running the trans tune before the first code?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased both tunes after my engine fire and AEM update 2 years ago. I towed 3450 miles the following summer with a 4000 lb Toyhauler. Never had any issues. This year I started out 31 May heading to Layton UT via grand canyon. It was after I arrived in Reno that I had problems. So estimate is 12,000 miles on the tune? I have 68,000 now.
So what proof do you have it's the tune and not just a defect in the transmission?
BTW...I'm a Diagnostic Imaging Engineer and IT tech. Been rebuilding engines and transmissions since 1976.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes and no. On the flats I use normal transmission and I don't go over 70mph. If I'm hitting steep hills or mountains then I will switch over. As far as I can see I've never really seen any difference between the two.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I don't like how mine runs at all without tow haul on. It tries to upshift WAY too fast without tow haul.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
So what proof do you have it's the tune and not just a defect in the transmission?
All speculation, before I knew how many miles you had driven with the trans tune. These transmissions are generally trouble-free.

Unless you have hard facts to show what caused the failure, it could be anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree...arrived in Sparks at RV park Thursday afternoon from Layton UT. Friday our son came over so we decided to head up to lake Tahoe. We were driving around the east side of the lake in stop/go traffic when it just started missing gears. Shifting to 2nd RPM shot up so I got off the pedal and let it shift. Repeat until it locks in 5th. I could clear the code and it would run fine for about 5 miles and then act up again. Just for grins & giggles I loaded the original trans tune with no affect. Transmission mechanic checked it out and said it was toast.
I'm all about saving $$ so I don't jackrabbit my truck. I get avg 23 mpg city and 29-33 hwy. I tow at 65-70 with cruise on the flats pedal in the hills. I discovered cruise control tends to abruptly shift into 5th on long upgrades so massaging the pedal I can keep it in 6th.

·
Registered
966 Posts
This is unfortunate and like stated previously, these trannys are pretty reliable and stout.
A diagnosis that declares a transmission toast is not always accurate either. Some can be saved by replacing specific components, valve bodies etc.

It's odd that it will run fine for 5 miles then act up. Indicates non-mechanical breakdown but I'm also not a tranny technician.

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update #2...I finally received my truck back on Friday, 10 Jul 2020. Kudos to the Lithia Chrysler service dept in Reno. They went overboard in making sure I was first up for service due to our vacation crash. So work started on Monday, paid $470 to expedite shipping from Flint plant. Transmission arrived on Thur, removed old one same day and Friday at 11:30 I was driving.
Footnote: They also performed the recall on the Vo8 and EGR cooler. I wasn't expecting that and was a bit pissed since I now have the factory tune which wiped out my SKT tune. Travel home was a nightmare compared with my trip out...constant downshifting on ANY incline. I traveled hwy 95 south to Las Vegas on fairly level desert hwy. If I used tow/haul the transmission would hold to 3000 rpm before shifting. I finally took it out of T/H and that seemed to cure the high RPM issue. The other thing I noticed is the marshmallow under my right foot. I was consistently having to push to the floor to get the engine to pull my 5600 lb trailer. Heading up steep grades @ 65 mph the transmission would downshift to 4th gear (worst I experienced with SKT tune was 5th on 8% grade) forcing me to slow down to 55 to keep from blowing the engine. My fuel mileage crashed to 12.8 mpg from 17.3 ( I recorded every fill-up on the trip) [ SKT Tune: 3438.9 miles @ 199.14 gal Diesel = 17.26 mpg...Factory VO8 tune: 1502.6 miles @ 117.4 gal Diesel = 12.8 mpg]
I am currently home shopping for a new Silverado 1500 duramax 4x2. I've reached out to 5 dealerships looking at either Purchase or lease depending on which one gets me the best deal. I really want to lease the first time with this new engine on the off chance there's issues. So far from the test drive this thing kicks ass and keeps on going. No lag what ever.
Also yesterday I also got a new CEL...P20ee SCR error. And the fun just keeps going on! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes. Sounds like your truck has been castrated since the tune was overwritten.
Good luck finding the best deal and a truck that's right for you.
Keep us posted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts