RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't order any running boards with my truck, I didn't think I needed them. However now that I have the truck, I think it would be a good addition. Does anyone have any recommendations? I think I would like some chrome/stainless steel ones to match my truck's fenders etc. The Mopar ones (which I think are the "official" ones?) are $517 (reduced from $600): *Ram 1500 Side Steps (Part No: 82211500AF)

On Amazon I can see a bunch of Lund ones, like this for just under $300: Amazon.com: Lund (22858783) Chrome 5" Oval Bent Nerf Bar, (Set of 2): Automotive. I wonder if these ones are any good though

Grateful for any recommendations

thanks

George

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had Iron Cross Nerf bars on my 2005 Dodge. They had a lifetime warranty and they look like new when I sold my truck a couple of week ago.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
09 14 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab Deluxe Iboards Running Boards Nerf Side Steps | eBay

I bought these. They were inexpensive (big deal for me) and looked like they would work, Wife thinks they are not big enough. She complains about everything. Bought a S & W Governor and a Silver International O/U 20 ga. last night at "steal" prices. No complaints there though.

Oh ...as for the boards they mounted easily, do not bend when stood on or even jumped on. If they remain a non-issue for me that's good. There are lots and lots of products to choose from under $200. No need to spend more.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm a little on the cheap side. BUT... I don't want garbage. (so it's Value for my $$) On my last truck, I bought some basic stainless steel bars from eBay... and after 4 years of Pittsburgh winters... they looked NEW still !! So... without hesitation, I ordered a new set for my new ED.

So, before the questions are asked:

1) YES... they hold my 240 Lb butt, without bending
2) They ARE stainless, and showed ZERO rust/corrosion after 4 years.
3) They fit PERFECT to the factory holes.
4) They were shipped from CA to PA in about 4 days, from the time of payment.
5) They are only $120 !!!

I really can't see paying $300~$400 on a name brand, when they aren't any better. AND, my feelings on a "Life Time Warranty" is that it's always a gimmick. Most of us don't keep our trucks long enough to put that kind of warranty to the test.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161196942466

·
Registered
273 Posts
09 14 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab Deluxe Iboards Running Boards Nerf Side Steps | eBay

I bought these. They were inexpensive (big deal for me) and looked like they would work, Wife thinks they are not big enough. She complains about everything. Bought a S & W Governor and a Silver International O/U 20 ga. last night at "steal" prices. No complaints there though.

Oh ...as for the boards they mounted easily, do not bend when stood on or even jumped on. If they remain a non-issue for me that's good. There are lots and lots of products to choose from under $200. No need to spend more.

I like the style of these. Do they have a "solid" feeling when you step on them ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't order any running boards with my truck, I didn't think I needed them. However now that I have the truck, I think it would be a good addition. Does anyone have any recommendations? I think I would like some chrome/stainless steel ones to match my truck's fenders etc. The Mopar ones (which I think are the "official" ones?) are $517 (reduced from $600): *Ram 1500 Side Steps (Part No: 82211500AF)

On Amazon I can see a bunch of Lund ones, like this for just under $300: Amazon.com: Lund (22858783) Chrome 5" Oval Bent Nerf Bar, (Set of 2): Automotive. I wonder if these ones are any good though

Grateful for any recommendations

thanks

George
George,

Here's what I put on my crew cab. Made of a composite material/polymer covered in chromed stainless. Took 1 hr 15 min to put first side on and only 1/2 hr for the second side. Nice wide 5" step and look good against the Granite Crystal color. Free shipping right to your front door and in less than a week time frame. Just my .02....
Lund 5" Oval Nerf Bars - Lund 5 Inch Nerf Bars for Trucks

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Solid. Like I said, I jump up and down and nothing. Three mounting brackets use existing holes in the truck. They could be wider but again, it's fine for me. That's my wife's opinion.

Dr. Honda has ones I was going to get. Just decided I did not like the round style with flats where you get into the doors. I often walk around on mine to clean the roof,, windshield or whatever. I have the same footing wherever I go.

Get what you like.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
captainmal has the best picture because it shows the most important thing (to me) for any bar - how many mounting brackets do they use... if its only 2, forget it. so kudos to you capt for your perfect angle! that said, for the guys who went with some of the different bars, do you mind a quick follow up if they used 3 brackets or only 2? Especially you Qu1nt166 and are those full cab length bars?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
why is 2 mounting points a "Forget it" situation?? How much weight do they need to hold? Like I said... mine don't move, and I'm 240 Lbs. OK... if they were rock rails... sure. But these are only steps. Mine have 2 mounts, but they are beefy, and the font one extends to a cab mount. (not just to the body)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Anyone know of any black wheel to wheel rock rails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
No kudo to me. I was too lazy to get out of my boat. Took the picture from the stern while it was up on the dry rack. Had to go back because I forgot my cell phone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a little on the cheap side. BUT... I don't want garbage. (so it's Value for my $$) On my last truck, I bought some basic stainless steel bars from eBay... and after 4 years of Pittsburgh winters... they looked NEW still !! So... without hesitation, I ordered a new set for my new ED.

So, before the questions are asked:

1) YES... they hold my 240 Lb butt, without bending
2) They ARE stainless, and showed ZERO rust/corrosion after 4 years.
3) They fit PERFECT to the factory holes.
4) They were shipped from CA to PA in about 4 days, from the time of payment.
5) They are only $120 !!!

I really can't see paying $300~$400 on a name brand, when they aren't any better. AND, my feelings on a "Life Time Warranty" is that it's always a gimmick. Most of us don't keep our trucks long enough to put that kind of warranty to the test.

2009 2014 Dodge RAM 1500 Crew Cab New 3" Round s s Side Step Nerf Bars Running B | eBay

mmm - when I went to the site and put in the details of my truck, it said this: This part is not compatible with 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 3.0L 2987CC 182Cu. In. V6 DIESEL DOHC Turbocharged

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Can't speak for Dr. Honda but I found that notice often. Think it's because some retailers did not update their product for 2014.

Try saying you have a 2013 and see if it works. The trucks are the same.

Reactions: parco

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
mmm - when I went to the site and put in the details of my truck, it said this: This part is not compatible with 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 3.0L 2987CC 182Cu. In. V6 DIESEL DOHC Turbocharged
I know. Basically eBay's system hasn't updated yet. The link I posted will fit, without any modifications.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
So are the factory wheel to wheel steps no good ? Or are they just too overpriced ?
They are very good. But they are +$600 And... if you are ordering a truck... it can add another 3 weeks to the build time !!!! Basically, once the truck is built at Warren... then Are sent to another shop to have the steps and/or spray in bed liner put in. That shop has gotten back logged.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know. Basically eBay's system hasn't updated yet. The link I posted will fit, without any modifications.
Ah OK thanks. Are 3" ones sufficient (I guess it comes down to personal preference)? I've never bought any before, so I am not sure if I should go 3, 4 or 5 inch. I don't want them to look too out of place (so maybe the 5 inch are too big), but I don't want them to look like they don't fit. Until Dr Honda sent this information, I was going to go with these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FNWYJS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2EEKGPHM50NLD&coliid=I2WBRVAHVP0D3U But if people can tell me that the 3 inch ones are fine, then I'll go with that one

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a set very similar bought from ebay (could have been the same set) that Dr. Honda had on my previous truck and would concur with his synopsis and I live up in the mountains east of Pittsburgh and would venture a guess that I get at least twice the salt and they held up fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jeff,

Yes full cab length and they come with (3) heavy duty brackets that like most fit right into the body's pre-made holes. You can walk back and forth on them as well. I liked these due to the amount of salt and grit that is used on our local roads in the winter. Hopefully they will hold up better than the painted ones I have used in the past. Sorry for the crud on the images, every farmer is spreading their manure and fitting ground. Kind of hard to keep the truck clean this time of year.
20140427_164302.jpg 20140427_164315.jpg 20140427_164356.jpg

captainmal has the best picture because it shows the most important thing (to me) for any bar - how many mounting brackets do they use... if its only 2, forget it. so kudos to you capt for your perfect angle! that said, for the guys who went with some of the different bars, do you mind a quick follow up if they used 3 brackets or only 2? Especially you Qu1nt166 and are those full cab length bars?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts