RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 2015 crew cab 4x4 eco Diesel with 67K miles. For those of you that have followed my posts you will recall I had the dreaded Service Electronic throttle message multiple times. Many parts were replace each time at the dealership with assistance from FCA star folks and a visit from the FCA Engineer. I sent a letter to FCA and they offered me an MSRP to MSRP replace at $0.20 per mile or an Employee pricing and all of the year end incentives to get me in another RAM. I enjoyed the 2015 fuel economy and the way the truck handles and rides so moving up to a 2017 with FCA financial assistance was a great plan. Other than the different color the two trucks are similar in options. The new one has a 3.92 rear instead of the 3.55 I had. The 2017 also has heated seats and LED lights in the bed which I did not have. I kept the grill cover and rubber floor mats from the 2015. The dealership replace a return fuel line prior to my delivery as it was leaking on their trip from another dealership. They also installed new running boards (same style) and swapped tires in the service dept. (cooper XL tires were just on 2015 for 400 miles). I now have driven it for 1000+ miles and enjoy the new truck. Fuel economy is much lower so far but winter fuel, breakin and different rear are many variables.
FCA and dealership treated me very well and I was glad to move up to the 2017 model with a reset on the warranty vs keeping the 2015 that had many warranty repairs and nearing end of 100K warranty .

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Congratulations and good luck with your new truck!! I've read about dozens of buy backs and FCA giving incentives to purchase another FCA product,basically it seems like FCA tries harder than the other manufacturers to keep folks happy and buying FCA products. Some folks you'll never make happy, Nice thread ....

·
Registered
156 Posts
The one thing I really wish my truck had was the 3.92 gears instead of the 3.55. Where's the pictures of the new truck?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
The one thing I really wish my truck had was the 3.92 gears instead of the 3.55. Where's the pictures of the new truck?
Why? Run one gear lower in the transmission for a similar final drive ratio. 3.55 and 3.92 are pretty close when talking axle ratios.

Reactions: howie12

·
Super Moderator
2,669 Posts
Nice to hear a positive story for a change when dealing with FCA. Congrats on the new truck and Hopefully it will be better than the last.

Reactions: VernDiesel

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Nice to hear a positive story for a change when dealing with FCA.
Totally agree. Although I have not had the problems that the OP did, the ones I have had have been a pleasure to deal with FCA on. Its easy to fire off negative posts swearing off any more RAM products when problems occur, but there are times when a good solution (like this one) can be worked out. I'm glad that the OP posted his story.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why? Run one gear lower in the transmission for a similar final drive ratio. 3.55 and 3.92 are pretty close when talking axle ratios.
Can't go one gear lower than first when you're starting it with a load in tow! On top of that, it's less stress on the drivetrain due to the greater mechanical advantage from the lower final gears.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, good to hear a positive report on dealing with FCA. Post up a pic!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Can't go one gear lower than first when you're starting it with a load in tow! On top of that, it's less stress on the drivetrain due to the greater mechanical advantage from the lower final gears.
Never had an issue in first pulling max weight. Strength issue is kind of negated by reduced pinion gear size as you go lower.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
Congrats on the new truck Johnny. Seems if you have a good dealer / relationship you have good experience with FCA if not you don't. Summer fuel & a tune mileage will likely be the same or only slightly less than your old truck.

First gear while great with this quick shifting trans is so low the trucks will easily move far more than max tow regardless of 3.55 / 3.92. I suspect he would rather have the 3.92 because sometimes towing heavy on a grade you can't both run a lower gear and maintain the speed or coolant temp of a 3.92. But like the mileage thing the difference isn't normally dramatic. Just IMO. Or maybe it's just that he likes Rams extra 1,000 pound max tow rating that comes with it. I just like that Ram gives realistic tow ratings unlike some Mfgs numbers. 13k with an aluminum 1/2 ton not this cat.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. I applaud you for posting a positive story, which I know occurs more than what is being reported. However, no pictures yet? come one!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to locate another granite colored truck but could not find another with options wanted , especially the bench seat and trailer mirrors and brake control. They found a black one about 150 miles away and they brought it in to their dealership within two days. I used Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer when I got it home and it looked great. I'll post some pictures once I get home from NY. It is so full of salt right now it looks closer to the granite color than black! Next week the dealership will Line-x the bed.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Sure seeing some salt-covered trucks entering Florida the last couple days. It must be a mess up north.

Will wait for pictures. Hope this one is super enjoyable.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
Where you located Henfield maybe one day we can work that out. That's is if you are willing to also put your truck in the test. I've talked about this before it wouldn't be hard to do some basic timed from to, achievable speed, & temp comparisons on say a long say 6 percent grade with say an 8k TT in tow. Not talking about burning up the trucks. It could be done on one test with each truck.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
The trucks would have to be comparable in every way but axle ratio. Similar tires, cooling systems, tunes, etc.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I suspect your mileage will go down from the 3.55. I see people here that state they get upwards of 26mph and I can't really get above 21 (of course I have the 3.92 and a FWC on full time now) but I drive conservative and would have expected around 25mph.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
I suspect your mileage will go down from the 3.55. I see people here that state they get upwards of 26mph and I can't really get above 21 (of course I have the 3.92 and a FWC on full time now) but I drive conservative and would have expected around 25mph.
I have towed a low profile load about 3000 lbs on a 16 foot flatbed in 7th gear with 3.55's and gotten 21 mpg, the gears are not what is getting you 21 mpg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts