RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So These are the options I know I want; 17"wheel& tires, Trailer brake, antispin/limited slip rearend, bench seat. Price will be a big issue for me so I'm trying to stay as simple as possible, but if I go with a tradesman I'm thinking I will want the popular and ext. appearance and might as well go with protection group. That adds up to be right around $38k for a tradesman, but a base Outdoorsman with all those options and more is $41,600. Just wondering if the outdoorsman would really be worth the extra money? I would be using the truck as a daily driver, but I work 12 hr shifts so the week is equally split between work and outdoor adventures. It would be on just as many hunting and fishing trips. I would be pulling a 18' aluminum river jet boat that weighs a hair under 4k lbs. So would I want to stay with 3.55's or move to 3.92's and are there any other options I should be thinking about? For some reason the dodge dealer in Southern Oregon never gets trucks with anti spin differential and that is very important option for me since the truck will be driven off road. Hope you guys can give me your 2 cents and opinions

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I say go with the outdoorsman, it comes with a heavier suspension and definatly 355's, it's a daily driver with occasional tow of 4K.... definatly want the 355's....

This is a fast truck unless you are towing up near the max a lot or in mountain areas you don't need the 392's

Don't forget to shop around to as many dealers as you can, and negotiate like hell!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered a Tradesman 4X4 Crew Cab with many of those features plus a CD, review camera and trailer tow group. Invoice was $39,710. We are going to take incentives off this invoice price plus you can find additional discounts at several sites. $1000 for business owners, $100 for AAA or AARP. etc... Didn't know they made diffferent strength frames for different models. The only thing I ma disappointed in is that you can't get a sliding window in the Tradesman.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Frame is the same suspension isn't and I think it's a different tranfercase aswell a borg warner I believe

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Mine is a 4 x 4 Tradesman Quad that has most options available. It had an MSRP just over 40.

No clue that there's a different transfer case in it compared to an Outdoorsman. Thought they were all the same. The rear springs on the Outdoorsman are heavier that I think all other models. My solution was to spend $160 and get a set of Timbren bumper stops. Loaded my toy hauler on. It sunk an inch, hit those Timbren's and stopped. Still have to pull it some for a real test.

·
Registered
132 Posts
the transfer case is the same on the outdoorsman as is on the tradesman, no auto 4wd. I wanted the outdoorsman but when I did all the numbers I could get all the options I needed for 3 grand less by loading up the tradesman. I would stay with the 3.55 and as Capt. mentioned there are options for the rear suspension sag. (within reason). make sure you get the limited slip rear end, I am not even sure why it is not standard equipment. my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I say go with the outdoorsman, it comes with a heavier suspension and definatly 355's, it's a daily driver with occasional tow of 4K.... definatly want the 355's....

This is a fast truck unless you are towing up near the max a lot or in mountain areas you don't need the 392's

Don't forget to shop around to as many dealers as you can, and negotiate like hell!!
This.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm not exactly sure which models have the borg warner, but I know in outdoors man has a "heavy duty" suspension

·
Registered
279 Posts
Todd, I am wrestling with the 355 vs 392, but it/s hilly here in PA, and I'll probably go 392. For you 355 especially with the 17s will be the way to go.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think the Outdoorsman only has heavier duty shocks, not springs. I want an Outdoorsman with 17” wheels so I can run larger than stock tires (~34s, maybe 35s; slightly larger than the tires than come on the 20s). Even if I go with aftermarket wheels, I don’t want to be forced into the more expensive 20’s.

I’m leaning towards the 3.92s, as I don’t want to be disappointed for power running up hills. I tow light, but do it today with a Cummins, so I have high expectations.
With 3.92s the engine will need to develop, (and the transmission transmit), less torque than 3.55s under all conditions. The engine will need to spin a few more RPMs, which this engine can handle with ease.

I think I’ve mentioned this before; they did not design the 3.55s/3.92s to work with this engine/transmission combo, as they’ve been offering those ratios for years. They nixed the 3.21s for the Diesel, so obviously they thought 3.21s would be over-geared. If they offered 3.73s the debate would be over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 17" wheels were still greyed out on Friday as were RamBoxes here outside Atlanta, but the dealer said their allocations would be confirmed on Monday so things might change tomorrow. Claim to be largest in area and have less information than the tiny one closer to me. Hoping for the 17s back on the Outdoorsman and may finally get to submit my order without having to wait for 2015 and December for delivery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my towing will be all up and down hills, I live in the Rogue valley elevation 1500-1600 feet any lake I will go to will be 5-7000 foot in elevation in the cascades.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The borg-warner part time transfer case come on the st, slt, and outdoorsman 4x4 models the rest of us get the on demand transfer case

·
Registered
230 Posts
Except for CC 6'4 bed trucks, they get the on demand box. I have seen the 5 position boxes in SLT, Big Horn and Outdoorsman models with the CC 6'4 option.
Interesting... I have an SLT CC 6'4 on order (May 17th Build date). I didn't think I was going to get the 5 position...BONUS :) Hope you're right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Every US SLT, Big Horn and Outdoorsman I have seen a interior picture of has had the auto option in it. Try searching dealer inventory for SLTs on the lot and interior shots.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol sorry man!

I'm sure either way u will be happy! I hope lol

Reactions: gleb
1 - 20 of 24 Posts