RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck tossed a P20EE code coming home from hunt'n this weekend. I've also been hearing a bit of what I call small car exhaust sound were there is a low vibration that I don't recall before. I have also noticed a lot of that smell you get when the exhaust system is cold and the DEF isn't going through the full chemical mumbo jumbo up into the cab unless I put the system on re-circulation. Appears to be building up under the truck and the second I back up it gets sucked in like a cow in the manure pit.

Had to wait 10 days for an appointment. Coming up in a week now.

Wish me luck. Kind of hoping for a complete new exhaust system.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
Maybe you could check the flange between the DPF and SCR? If the bolts broke that may be the source of the vibration, and if it melted the DEF injector wiring or hose that would also explain the P20EE code and odd exhaust smells

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had this pop up a couple of months ago. Took me a month and a half to get an appointment and get parts in, but the dealer replaced the downstream NOx sensor. Been OK for ~2 weeks and ~500 miles. This is with no exhaust smells or anything like that though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe you could check the flange between the DPF and SCR? If the bolts broke that may be the source of the vibration, and if it melted the DEF injector wiring or hose that would also explain the P20EE code and odd exhaust smells
I could but I won't. Snow, wet, cold, gravel parking area. I'm going to have to wait until I can get it to the dealer. I was hoping it would just blow the DPF on back right off the truck.

Thanks for the pointer, however. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had that code twice while tuned. Contacted MRTunning and fir 150 dollars had DEF system shut off via tune. N9 more engine codes. I don't live in an emission check state

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had code pop up today for first time, same deal with the smells and recirculating air in cab. 2017 37500 miles GDE compliant.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had code pop up today for first time, same deal with the smells and recirculating air in cab. 2017 37500 miles GDE compliant.
Well, it was 0 degrees F this morning. I saw the smoke. It appears to be at the flex pipe off the DPF. #@$%ing hell. The fumes are so bad right now when I take the kids to school I have to run with the windows down until the exhaust gets warmed up and then I still run with the windows down as much as possible on the highway. Sounds like a massive air leak when I hammer it. Engine light went away but the code is still in active memory.

Now I'm worried I'm stuck with the bill. I wonder if motor/transmission mounts may have gone out and that put undue stress on the pipe resulting in "premature failure". At least that is what FCA will claim. That's going to cost me about $2000. Too cold and too much snow to crawl under to examine myself. Dealer can't see it until Thursday a full 10 days after I called.

I've had this problem before on my former Jeep Patriot when the transmission mount died and to much stress on the pipe broke it. In that case a local shop was able to splice in a connection that was leak tight and solid. In this case I just don't see being able to splice in a new flex pipe. Exhaust at 1200F is not friendly to those situations, I suspect.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
634 Posts
Glad to hear you pinpointed the issue but sorry to hear it's the flex pipe. You're right it's not an easy (or cheap) repair.

Reactions: phprof

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good and goodie news. Dealer automotive technician has confirmed the flex pipe is broken, shot, rotted. It will be covered under the AEM extended warranty so new DOC/DPF and gasket set is going in. It will be a week or more before they have the parts but other than that I'm good to go. He didn't find any issues with the transmission/motor mounts. That's a relief off my shoulders.

Rack'n and pack'n.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Good and goodie news. Dealer automotive technician has confirmed the flex pipe is broken, shot, rotted. It will be covered under the AEM extended warranty so new DOC/DPF and gasket set is going in. It will be a week or more before they have the parts but other than that I'm good to go. He didn't find any issues with the transmission/motor mounts. That's a relief off my shoulders.

Rack'n and pack'n.
Hi: phprof... I'm just glad this problem didn't put you under enough stress to brake!!!
Rootn' tootn' shootn'.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After over a month, my local dealership finally got in the parts and fixed my DPF. Report said that the welds at the pipe and DPF canister were broke. I asked about a possible bad motor or transmission mount putting increased stress on the pipe via flexing but they said they were fine. Any ideas from the crowd if this could be a problem? I know a guy with a nice garage and we could do some investigation out of the snow.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Your motor and trans mounts are likely fine. No reports of them failing in this platform.

Reactions: phprof

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your motor and trans mounts are likely fine. No reports of them failing in this platform.
Thanks much. I had a Jeep Patriot prior to this. 7 years in the transmission mount collapse and the extra flex broke the exhaust pipe behind the cat. Fornuately it was far enough away the could fix it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts