RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

I have a 2014 1500 ecodiesel in my shop , it had the problem with the SCR cat , and it was beginning to count down from 200 miles to 0 that it would't start anymore .
Fitted it with a new SCR cat , and got the code P2BA9 along with de p20EE just as described in the service bulletin . so far so good .

updated Pcm with latest calibration ,
erased all codes
checked def injector quantity (30 ml)

Did the tank level reset it was 50%
filled a gallon of add blue

and went for a n hour highway drive , after that the message was still there saying car wont start anymore
put it out and indeed it wont start ,

did the hole Scr healing procedure again , after i reset the pcm so it would drive 60 mile again , same result , but after i tunr of the car it wont restart , and i couldnt program it again to do the 60 mile drive .
Tried everything but it just wont work with a hard DTC P241D (forced engine shutdown) but this is the only DTC i get , not anyother DTC has set since then .

After i reflashd the PCM again , i can get the DTC reset and i can get it to drive for another 60 mile , but that message wont clear , did 4 SCR healing trips of well over an hour with constant speed of 60 mph .
i dont get any codes , but the message just wont clear .

I hope someone has a good idea

Thanks
Frank

·
Administrator
8,658 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Frank. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Unfortunately, I can't offer any help. Hopefully you will get a reply from our member/vendor "GDE" with some advice.

·
Vendor
1,198 Posts
If you're stuck in inducement (P241D active), you can command the mileage extension so that you/the tech can drive the vehicle for healing; however, healing only takes place if the fault that caused the inducement is able to run and achieve a passing result.

To run the commands you indicated above then you must own or have access to a WiTech (the dealer scan tool). WiTech will indicate which fault was the one causing inducement. In your case, the P2bA9 fault is the culprit however this fault only runs when a refill is detect in the DEF tank.

To get this diagnostic to run again, you have to drain the tank (at least 2+ gallons) and then trigger the tank level reset so that the detected level drops down. Key off and wait for the ECU to completely power down (30s-2min typically). While ECU off, refill the DEF with 1.5+gal then key on. The refill detection will then trigger and the P2BA9 fault will be ready to run again. From there you need to drive the vehicle again for a while until the diagnostic runs and completes. The P2BA9 fault is the SCR efficiency check after refill (checking for wrong/bad DEF included), so make sure you're using good DEF that's not compromised or expired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GDE , we are a US Car dealer , and i have the Witech . i did exacly what you said , i drained the Def tank , and willed it up with 3 gallons of new addblue , then i did the level reset procedure , and after that key off and filled another 1.5 gallon of add blue . then i drove it for more than an hour with steady speed on the highway (did this hole procedure 4 times now) but i just cant get rid of the message , and the car wont start after its been turned of .

Also after this i cant in anyway extend the milage to get it started again , but to reflash the pcm !

very strange issue !

·
Vendor
1,198 Posts
You might need to do the test drive at a lower speed, say around 45mph. There are different modes for the inducement and the monitor needs certain requirements to run. The other option is to have the customer get the GDE tune as we can turn that code off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will try , to get that code off i have to ship pcm i assume , im from the netherlands so that is a bit difficult (but not impossible ) but i think it is best then to directly go for a complete dpf delete as i do much more with the 2500 diesels , in my opinion the way to go , all this shit on and around the engine doesnt make them reliable as you should aspect , this truck only has 40k on it and has been in my shop for almost a week now .

is there any other wat around this , so i can get my customer his car back , i will do the healing again tomorrow at lower speed after i drain and will the deff and keep u posted

Thanks for the effort
Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
will try , to get that code off i have to ship pcm i assume , im from the netherlands so that is a bit difficult (but not impossible ) but i think it is best then to directly go for a complete dpf delete as i do much more with the 2500 diesels , in my opinion the way to go , all this shit on and around the engine doesnt make them reliable as you should aspect , this truck only has 40k on it and has been in my shop for almost a week now .

is there any other wat around this , so i can get my customer his car back , i will do the healing again tomorrow at lower speed after i drain and will the deff and keep u posted

Thanks for the effort
Frank
Frank any luck? My truck is doing the exact same thing, and my dealership cant solve the problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
21 days in a row at the dealer and they cannot fix yet even with FCA help. Case escalated to case manager. Customer service claims I will have a call by tomorrow evening from a case manager.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Service manager called yesterday they are replacing the PCM today and hoping that will solve the recurring issue. I will keep you posted shaker223.....fingers crossed!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Email received. Case manager reviewing. I should have some sort of answer by 12/31/15. 22 days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked my truck up this morning, replacing the PCM has fixed the reoccurring display. The dealership put 150 miles on it since the PCM replacement, and no CEL or display message. I drove it to work from the dealership (about 15 miles), so far all is well.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Hard to believe all the refreshing of the computer module did nothing but another control module fixes it.

That means there are defective control modules. Give pause for thought about all the refreshing being done, both by dealers and aftermarket upgraders.

Hope it works but if it does not, let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hard to believe all the refreshing of the computer module did nothing but another control module fixes it.

That means there are defective control modules. Give pause for thought about all the refreshing being done, both by dealers and aftermarket upgraders.

Hope it works but if it does not, let us know.
You should see the laundry list of things they tried to fix this thing, multiple reflashes, healing processes, forced regens, driving 100 miles, 50 miles, etc... Not to mention replacing the SCR, both O2 sensors, and finally the PCM. Trying to wrap my head around this one, but fingers crossed and knock on wood, I pray this has solved the problem. I will keep you all posted either way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts