RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Should widespread problems with Uconnect be considered a safety issue?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 and the screen started to delaminate 2 years ago. A few weeks ago it started registering ghost inputs that have gotten quite bad. I have a video that shows it going nuts on me, turning environmental controls off and on, changing settings, turning on backup camera, all while driving. Somone in the passenger seat took the video. What I'm trying to figure out is why this isn't recall worthy as all the distraction along with the environmental changes seem like a safety issue to me.

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
Welcome(y), first post NEWAY:LOL: , and I think it probably should be considered a safety concern, another case that Stellantics should "stand up" and correct the issue, BUT should not require a recall IMO because the progression of this happening is not a sudden interruption in vehicles performance or immediate operation(s) IMO, but it should be addressed

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,898 Posts
The screen issue is a common failure of the factory installed '18 radios, but don't think it's a widespread enough problem to warrant a recall. Dealerships were replacing these radios under warranty for this particular problem.
It is possible to replace the screen/digitizer on these radios.

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
I know I wouldn't like that :oops: :cry:👎

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The screen issue is a common failure of the factory installed '18 radios, but don't think it's a widespread enough problem to warrant a recall. Dealerships were replacing these radios under warranty for this particular problem.
It is possible to replace the screen/digitizer on these radios.
I’ve talked to two dealers. One refused to talk to me without a diagnostic charge. The other said I’d have to pay the cost of a replacement when I mentioned trying to get it taken care outside of the warranty period. Basically after four years I’m dealing with major functionality issues with my vehicle. It may be my first and last Ram because this is simply unacceptable to me.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,898 Posts
I’ve talked to two dealers. One refused to talk to me without a diagnostic charge. The other said I’d have to pay the cost of a replacement when I mentioned trying to get it taken care outside of the warranty period. Basically after four years I’m dealing with major functionality issues with my vehicle. It may be my first and last Ram because this is simply unacceptable to me.
The vehicle is out of warranty, do you expect them to work for free? Not everyone has the failures, so it's a big crap shoot if something is going to fail considering the hundreds of thousands of these radios that were used across the entire vehicle line up.

I always get a chuckle when people throw out the "this is the last Ram I'll ever own", as there's people who've said the same thing coming from every other truck manufacturer out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Too much is tied to the screen. Ordinarily I’d agree on something like this but did you watch the video? The delamination also started at 2 years but was causing no problems until just recently. This was a defect, not a problem from abuse or overuse, especially given that for 18 months I was hardly driving it.

I also don’t expect the dealer to work for free, I expect the manufacturer to acknowledge defects.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
Too much is tied to the screen. Ordinarily I’d agree on something like this but did you watch the video? The delamination also started at 2 years but was causing no problems until just recently. This was a defect, not a problem from abuse or overuse, especially given that for 18 months I was hardly driving it.
Was the delamination documented at the dealer when the vehicle was covered by warranty?
The non-use for 18 months doesn't matter either.
In my previous working career I'd get people who would say that they expected warranty on their "widget" because they didn't live in the house for the first two years as it was an investment home and now at the 3 year mark, expect warranty that expired after the first year of ownership....not occupancy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was the delamination documented at the dealer when the vehicle was covered by warranty?
The non-use for 18 months doesn't matter either.
In my previous working career I'd get people who would say that they expected warranty on their "widget" because they didn't live in the house for the first two years as it was an investment home and now at the 3 year mark, expect warranty that expired after the first year of ownership....not occupancy.
Nope, sure wasn’t. This is a well known defect, not a random thing. If this happened in 1% of vehicles I’d say I was a whiner.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
The vehicle is out of warranty, do you expect them to work for free? Not everyone has the failures, so it's a big crap shoot if something is going to fail considering the hundreds of thousands of these radios that were used across the entire vehicle line up.

I always get a chuckle when people throw out the "this is the last Ram I'll ever own", as there's people who've said the same thing coming from every other truck manufacturer out there.

IF I quit buying/driving the vehicles I had issues with that I felt this way, I'd be down to riding a bike or walking, or well never mind..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: but I do understand the frustration when a high dollar part fails, I was sick when my VP44 went out on one of my CTD and the cost associated with it, also that it was known for failure under two conditions, X number of heat cycles, and if the inexpensive lift pump went out and caused you big bucks with no warning of low fuel pressure, that why now, I try to learn as many things about what I'm driving as possible;)

as far as the OP's situation, I think the way I read it these issues started showing up in what would have been the warranty period???, I could be wrong:unsure:, that'd be twice today already:oops::LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

IF I quit buying/driving the vehicles I had issues with that I felt this way, I'd be down to riding a bike or walking, or well never mind..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: but I do understand the frustration when a high dollar part fails, I was sick when my VP44 went out on one of my CTD and the cost associated with it, also that it was known for failure under two conditions, X number of heat cycles, and if the inexpensive lift pump went out and caused you big bucks with no warning of low fuel pressure, that why now, I try to learn as many things about what I'm driving as possible;)

as far as the OP's situation, I think the way I read it these issues started showing up in what would have been the warranty period???, I could be wrong:unsure:, that'd be twice today already:oops::LOL::LOL::LOL:
The delamination started literally at 359xx miles. But I had absolutely zero issues with it until the last two months or so. Let us not pretend that this isn't a known issue. I see people claiming their dealers did it out of warranty all the time due to massively high failure rates. I've had stereo repair shops say they are seeing it a lot on these 8.4" screens. It is up to Stellantis to address this. If I could simply turn the screen off I'd do that for now. I can afford the replacement no problem, but this is obviously a common defect. You sell me something defective, you make it right.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2018 and the screen started to delaminate 2 years ago. A few weeks ago it started registering ghost inputs that have gotten quite bad. I have a video that shows it going nuts on me, turning environmental controls off and on, changing settings, turning on backup camera, all while driving. Somone in the passenger seat took the video. What I'm trying to figure out is why this isn't recall worthy as all the distraction along with the environmental changes seem like a safety issue to me.
Hello,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Please send us a PM, our team would be happy to look further into this for you.

William
Ram Cares

• Helpful
Reactions: somdeco
1 - 16 of 16 Posts