RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm jealous I will admit it! That said you said you got if for $10,000 less than what they normally sell for... what do they normally sell for?
I watch cleans ones like that go for $20,000+ on eBay. Usually they are out of Oregon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Really clean ones that are either close to stock, or properly upgraded with receipts sometimes go as high as $25k. A few unique specimens have gone close to $30k. That's usually with mileage well north of 150k too. Honestly if the dealer listed mine as an auction given the mileage, condition, and that it hasn't been messed with save for the camper shell, this would probably fall in the 20k-25k range. Well maybe not now. possibly before or after this COVID mess gets over with.

I saw this one recently, its been sitting for a couple weeks. $26k. Trim level higher than mine with nearly 100k more miles.

Side note, I laughed at this. Got in my jeep to move it this afternoon and just about put the clutch pedal through the floor. Got used to the heavy clutch in that 2500 pretty quick.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Side note, I laughed at this. Got in my jeep to move it this afternoon and just about put the clutch pedal through the floor. Got used to the heavy clutch in that 2500 pretty quick.
Hear that. My 2004 Cummins had one of those clutches. As I aged the darn thing seemed even more firm. Went to replace it at over 200,000 miles and the thing was still like new. Unfortunately I had it out because of a transmission input shaft and that two piece flywheel failure so changed it anyhow. My old Ford tractor is like that today.

That's one reason I walk with a limp.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Nice thread!!! Here’s a couple of older Cummins.The owners are a couple of early 20 year olds who pressure cleaned My houses yesterday.The silver one is a 98.5 with a 24 valve he payed 7 k with 130,000 miles perfect condition. The kid / owner described it as an old mans truck ...

This beige one is a 2005 my friend purchased it for his son last year from our local dealership for 15k with 85,000 miles extremely clean, another old mans truck, both where locally owned trucks NO RUST ....

The kid with the beige one was explaining to me he removed his baffle from intake tube to make the turbo sound louder, Now he’s my friends son , so I explained to him it wasn’t installed to quite turbo noise, but what it actually does is to evenly distribute the air flow across the turbo wheel to keep it in balance, without this piece the air flow WILL push unequal pressure on one side of turbo wheel causing premature failure...He listened :)

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
What's nice is that truck is so low in rust. Hell my 2017 probably has more rust underneath.
Depends on where you are. I thought the OP's new truck has a rusty frame. Maybe it is not rusted through but it sure shows lots of surface rust. Must be that condition is good for Colorado and other places that have severe weather conditions with road salt and chemical treatment in the winter.

Sold my old Cummins to a guy from Kentucky. He came to pick it up. Not a hint of rust except where I had some damage from debris behind the bumper. Wife's 2009 Ford Escape had me searching and searching for any sign on even a debris deposit, let alone rust. Perfectly new underneath when I sold it. My Ecodiesel after 5 1/2 years had ZERO rust underneath. None of these vehicles were ever rustproofed or had any kind of paint applied on suspension, frame or underbody panels.

Neighbor just bought a 2003 Dodge 2500 with Cummins. 200,000 miles. The body and frame look super from what I quickly checked. It was used by a local rural owner to pull horse trailers. The new owner had a 1500 that was crashed into and trashed. He wanted something immediately and found this with a sale sign on in a yard. It looks so good he lifted, bought rims, bigger tires, put clearance lights and fender flares on in just the three weeks he has owned it. It sure looks clean to me.

That's why informed buyers of used vehicles come to Florida or source them from here. Unless you ride them on a beach or live in an ocean environment on the East Coast with prevailing winds blowing off the ocean, there is no cause for rust production.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Depends on where you are. I thought the OP's new truck has a rusty frame. Maybe it is not rusted through but it sure shows lots of surface rust. Must be that condition is good for Colorado and other places that have severe weather conditions with road salt and chemical treatment in the winter.

Sold my old Cummins to a guy from Kentucky. He came to pick it up. Not a hint of rust except where I had some damage from debris behind the bumper. Wife's 2009 Ford Escape had me searching and searching for any sign on even a debris deposit, let alone rust. Perfectly new underneath when I sold it. My Ecodiesel after 5 1/2 years had ZERO rust underneath. None of these vehicles were ever rustproofed or had any kind of paint applied on suspension, frame or underbody panels.

Neighbor just bought a 2003 Dodge 2500 with Cummins. 200,000 miles. The body and frame look super from what I quickly checked. It was used by a local rural owner to pull horse trailers. The new owner had a 1500 that was crashed into and trashed. He wanted something immediately and found this with a sale sign on in a yard. It looks so good he lifted, bought rims, bigger tires, put clearance lights and fender flares on in just the three weeks he has owned it. It sure looks clean to me.

That's why informed buyers of used vehicles come to Florida or source them from here. Unless you ride them on a beach or live in an ocean environment on the East Coast with prevailing winds blowing off the ocean, there is no cause for rust production.

Weird, nearly the entire life of my 36k mile 2016 (bought in late '15) Ecodiesel was spent in Fort Myers and Lehigh Acres, Florida. When I moved to Colorado and traded it for my Jeep in 2017, its frame looked better than the 22 year old one this thread is referencing but certainly not zero rust. That's after just 2 years of ownership always parking in a garage at home and an open sided but covered parking garage at work. I always attributed it to the high humidity and at times nearly perpetual rain.

I remember pulling out of my garage during the spring and having the entire tuck instantly fog up on me from the humidity. I think that was mostly because my garage was in shade and always quite a bit cooler than ambient. Heck, the bolts holding my seat mounts were covered in rust within the first 3 months of ownership. In fact, the only thing on that truck that didn't have some form of rust that was made out of steel was the mounts for my Luverne mega steps which were very nicely powder coated.

The only place I would expect to see zero rust vehicles 20 years old would be somewhere like Arizona where they don't see salt, much rain, or humidity. For a truck to see no rust in Florida I'd imagine it would have to be almost exclusively used on highway where few things aren't as likely to get tossed up and chip paint. Mine routinely saw gravel and loose substrate roads going to the gun clubs, shooting competitions, hunting, and fishing. As we all know, all it takes to start rust is water and any amount of bare metal and Florida has no shortage of water.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is probably a good place to ask for an informed opinion. What is a 2000 QuadCab Cummins RWD with 100K miles in very good, stock, unmolested, Summer-driven only condition worth?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Since my pond is bone dry and it has not rained seince November - Florida here is a desert in the winter. No comment on water shortage.

As for a 2 wheel drive Cummins in good shape at 20 years of age, around here $18K would be possible. I would think a bit less but people love the diesels with no emissions and not hammered all to heck.

Do a CraigsList search of the Tampa area and you will see them priced all over the place.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I guess droughts can strike anywhere. I remember when I originally moved to north Florida in 2012, it rained or at least sprinkled non-stop from January until early May if it every actually stopped raining it was for no more than an hour. Yard was a swamp the whole time. Just like the drought that's an exception though.

Driving home from work during the spring and early summer in Fort Myers, I got soaked nearly every day walking from the office to the parking garage. Almost like it was on a timer start at 3pm, last until 6pm.

I do miss some of the thunderstorms up here in Colorado. In nearly 3 years I have only had a good thunderstorm once.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I am just south of Tampa. Across the main road is Little Manatee State Park. Upon entrance you will read signs along the road discussing the flora and fauna of this "Florida Desert".

Yes we do get rain from late June until late September about every third day. It will rain in the afternoon for a few hours and each day it sure looks like rain is somewhere. From October until the following June there have been rains. Not often but there have been rainy hours, rarely days. The entire month of March had ZERO rainfall reported by Channel 13 TV in Tampa. Here ironically we had almost 1/4" of drizzle yesterday. First rain I can remember this year, though there might have been some rain in January.

Our trucks rust on top. The sun bleaches out the roof and hood, unless you wax and care for it often if left outside.

Meantime I have not started my new Cummins in close to two weeks. It's a garage queen.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice find!
I think that was about the same year as my late father-in-laws Ram. His last Ram was the light blue, almost robin egg blue. I'm sure it was beat to hell since it was a farm truck. Motor would have been taken cars of but not the interior or exterior. Iowa winters are also not as kind as Colorado winters.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts

Here is my 2004 Cummins with my first of three toy haulers. 6 speed New Venture manual transmission. Sold it at 242,000 miles after I bought and took delivery of the Ecodiesel.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts