RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a issue with my 2016 Eco-diesel. I lost acceleration at points in my driving and then got a message " Service Electronic Throttle Control " I have 113000 km on my vehicle so warranty is up by 13000 km. Dealership said it was going to be a $4800.00 fix. Contacted Dodge to see if they could do anything of coarse the answer was "NO". Even though the soot must have been building up before the light came on. I would like to know how many people this has happened to. This should be a recall cause it is a safety concern if your vehicle fails to accelerate in an intersection this could become a deadly situation.

If you have gotten the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" or are starting to lose power while driving please comment
Last night driving on the freeway my truck started acting crazy. Wanting to die. I almost wrecked getting off the freeway. It was jerking. Trying to die. Revving up. Check engine light came on . Also the two lights for the tire traction / no spin tires. Came on. Then Service electronic throttle control. And service electronic braking system started flashing on the screen. My truck is a 2017 Ram 1500 with 3.6 L motor. I have 40,000 miles on it. It was running great. No warning signs at all. Now I’m starting to freak out after reading all the horror stories. I am going to take it to the dealership in the morning

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
Chris, when you go to the fuel station do you put gasoline in your 3.6 liter engine truck or diesel fuel like the rest of us here on the ram1500diesel forum?

• Haha
Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
190 Posts
No kidding!!

So far I found out that this is covered under FCA recall # W58 and NHTSA recall # 20V-475. The recall was performed on my truck August 2020, but seems like the problem is still presenting itself.
Hi baldsquid,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am now having the same issue with my 2015 RAM ecodiesel. Luckily I was about 2 miles from home and made it but the surging and loss of power was scary at every intersection. Now it is sitting at the dealership and they are telling me it will be 4-5 weeks before they can even begin a diagnosis. I have had all the FCA recalls completed after having to wait almost a year for the parts, a bushing, to arrive. This has been scary and frustrating.

·
Registered
2016 CC Laramie Longhorn
42 Posts
I am now having the same issue with my 2015 RAM ecodiesel. Luckily I was about 2 miles from home and made it but the surging and loss of power was scary at every intersection. Now it is sitting at the dealership and they are telling me it will be 4-5 weeks before they can even begin a diagnosis. I have had all the FCA recalls completed after having to wait almost a year for the parts, a bushing, to arrive. This has been scary and frustrating.
4 to 5 WEEKS?!!? I'd take it to a different dealer if it's an option. I just finished dealing with this issue as well as a couple others. There is another thread on here about this issue and some members talk about a connector under the vehicle driver side. They provide images. That, supposedly, was what the dealer said was my issue. Might be worth a look if you can access your vehicle.

Dreaded Service Electronic Throttle Message

·
Registered
3 Posts
4 to 5 WEEKS?!!? I'd take it to a different dealer if it's an option. I just finished dealing with this issue as well as a couple others. There is another thread on here about this issue and some members talk about a connector under the vehicle driver side. They provide images. That, supposedly, was what the dealer said was my issue. Might be worth a look if you can access your vehicle.

Dreaded Service Electronic Throttle Message
Thank you for the response! I have called every dealer in the area and they are all telling me 3-6 weeks out. I will say after looking at the photos posted the first one I have just noticed just the week before the issue started. It was hanging down to the point I noticed it and someone else did as well standing in a parking lot. Now if I can just get them to take a look at it soon!

Thanks again!
Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a issue with my 2016 Eco-diesel. I lost acceleration at points in my driving and then got a message " Service Electronic Throttle Control " I have 113000 km on my vehicle so warranty is up by 13000 km. Dealership said it was going to be a $4800.00 fix. Contacted Dodge to see if they could do anything of coarse the answer was "NO". Even though the soot must have been building up before the light came on. I would like to know how many people this has happened to. This should be a recall cause it is a safety concern if your vehicle fails to accelerate in an intersection this could become a deadly situation.

If you have gotten the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" or are starting to lose power while driving please comment

·
Registered
1 Posts

Jussi got the light yesterday o my 2015 246 miles new to me 86000 total code says turbo boost wfh dealer is saying we gave you a good deal well lemon law apples if they did not properly inspect it after they got it

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just got it

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
I always wonder about these 1 post users, trolls? for what purpose? hard to make sense out of some of them......

·
Registered
1 Posts

We are currently having the same issue…we bought used snd are still under our 1 year warsnty so I’m hoping it’s covered

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also having intermittent problems with the Service ETC message on my 2016 Laramie, 75000 mi. Mine comes on at random and then usually goes away the next time the truck is cycled (turned off then on). The check engine light illuminates at the same time, but usually goes off after about 2-3 cycles. When the ETC message is active the truck is in limp mode. My code reader consistently shows two codes that repeat - P0192 and P0193 (high and low fuel rail pressure). When their iisn't ano ETC message, the truck appears to operate normally (even if the CEL light is still on).

I've been planning on getting the GED tune at some point, so I might go ahead and pull the trigger on that to see if it will help with this problem. Any thoughts?
I was experiencing these exact symptoms and was diagnosed by the dealer with a bad battery. Have been driving for several weeks without any CELs so it is increasingly looking like the battery was indeed the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just purchased less then a week ago a new 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Limited with the Towing package. While towing a travel trailer, approx. 6100 Lbs for about 4 hours, mainly on the highway with varying grades, without any issues, the
Service Electronic Throttle light came on. My power was cut about 60% and I limped into Paso Robles that night. I went to the Ram Dealer, who cleared the codes, but couldn't find any issues. My Ram was running fine that morning, but still had the message and check engine light on. The Dealer couldn't do anything. While traveling home, about 3 hours into our trip home, and after going up the I-5 Grapevine (step long hill) without any issues, the Service Electronic Throttle light came back on, and back to only having 40% power. I limped into a Ram Dealer in Los Angeles. The Service Dept was closed. I disconnected the battery, reconnected it. The Service Electronic Throttle light was off, only the check engine lite was on. I continued our travel home. about an hour into our travel, the Service Electronic Throttle light came back on, loss of power again, pulled into a rest area. turned off the Ram, about 30 minutes later, turned on the Ram and the Service Electronic Throttle light was off. We headed for another 2 hours home, arriving without any issues. The next morning, out of trailer mode, the Service Electronic Throttle light is not there and the check engine light is not showing either. The truck is running fine without towing our travel trailer. Will be dropping off our Ram tomorrow as we don't want to have this issue while towing our trailer and going up a steep grade, which could be tragic. Hopefully they can repair this or take the Ram back due to the Lemon Law. Thought I would post this, as I didn't see any 2020's and appears still to be an issue. You would think by now, this would be corrected based on the number of posts and the ages of the Rams having this issue.
I had the exact same issue towing I8 from San Diego to Ocotillo with my toy hauler, (7,500lbs). Same truck but 2021 owned for two weeks. Dealer in Escondido says backed up till March!?!? This is for sure a known issue with manufacture.

Loosing almost all power on the interstate while climbing a hill with trailer is a huge safety concern. They should be concerned with the liability!

I’ve own Toyota and Lexus trucks/SUV’s for 20 years and have never had to have my vehicle towed to the dealership.

I will follow up with what’s to come, my guess is an attorney for lemon law and a new Tundra.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would commonly get service electronic throttle light when towing a trailer up hill on the interstate along with the dangerous limp mode. My particular code was P0234 - turbo overboost. Ultimately they replaced the turbo after initially saying it was due to a dirty air filter.

What I found after a few times experiencing this code I discovered if I pull to the shoulder and shut the truck off and restarted it the check engine light stayed on but the service electronic throttle light went off and the truck drove normally.

At least I didn’t have to continue the trip in limp mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same issue towing I8 from San Diego to Ocotillo with my toy hauler, (7,500lbs). Same truck but 2021 owned for two weeks. Dealer in Escondido says backed up till March!?!? This is for sure a known issue with manufacture.

Loosing almost all power on the interstate while climbing a hill with trailer is a huge safety concern. They should be concerned with the liability!

I’ve own Toyota and Lexus trucks/SUV’s for 20 years and have never had to have my vehicle towed to the dealership.

I will follow up with what’s to come, my guess is an attorney for lemon law and a new Tundra.
I was able to get the code read after it happened again. Turbo boost controller. Tech advisor said most likely going to have to replace the turbo.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts