RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
This popped up on my screen a couple months ago. I have the full delete now on new engine which got rid of this popping up constantly when I had the first engine and emissions garbage. $600 later for a boost module on new engine and it was fixed. I figured it was covered under new engine warranty but apparently not. Go figure. It did fix the problem though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So at another dealership they got me in today. Same fault code turbo boost controller. The fix was a software update, it’s a TSB🤷‍♂️ I’m towing Friday so I’ll see if it fixed it.
Software update didn’t work. Still getting the error code. Always happens on a decent grade while towing. They can’t reproduce 🤦‍♂️ Said let’s hook up a trailer and go up a good grade.I’m a couple hundred pounds under the vehicle gross weight and about 1000 pounds under the max towing weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Diesel
I am having the same issue. In February, we were driving 60 on a road and then all of a sudden the CEL and service electronic throttle control error popped up and truck would not accelerate. Had to pull over. engine was off. But the push button start was stuck in run. I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to get it to reset and get it started and over to the dealer. They told me it was just from some loose wires that they forgot to tighten after replacing the battery that they replaced two days before. I think from the same issue. This past week in May, the car did the same thing. They are now replacing the control module and performing a recall that they said would fix the issue. However after reading this forum, it would seem that everyone's dealer is trying different fixes for the same issue. This truck has now left my wife stranded twice and been in the shop for the same reason three times. Considering submitting it for the lemon law. Anyone else get rid of theirs or actually get a fix that stuck?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hi: All... IMHO my lightening bolt was caused by a frantic message from Stella Antics, complete with limp mode, looking for work for the dealers. After a cool down at the Dr's off. ... truck started and ran fine shifting normally but with a MIL light on which eventually went off, no stored messages!!! Some times there's no right thing to do.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had this pop up today while driving on I80 over donners pass. Started the day at 8 no problems from home to reno. On the way home about 80 miles from home it popped up. Didn't notice at first but it had no power. Set at 65 going up a hill it would drop down to 55-60. No acceleration at stop signs or lights. But would slowly get up to 65mph. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
I had mine pop up in July. Dealer flashed updated software MIL- P0299 and P20EE-00. tsbs 18-068-20 rev b. Although I've been told that tsb is only for the 17s.It fixed the issue but haven't tried to run it through the mountains yet.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I had this problem, we could not find the issue. they did the TSB still didn't fix it. Tech tightened intake hose way in the back of the truck and we used the tech tool to run the turbo vanes from 99% to 0% to make sure it wasn't stuck, cause I do NOT drive it hard, so the turbo probably never sees 100%, and so far so good.

the turbo computer has a tolerance for 4psi underboost, if the turbo boost/supply falls below 4psi of the demand it throws a the P0299 code and shuts the turbo down. there's really 2 basic reasons.
1. boost leak between the turbo and the map sensor which can be anything from the sensor itself to the turbo
2. the turbo isn't responding to supplying boost within 4psi, this can be for myriad of reasons.

we're suppose to get limp mode but for whatever reason I didn't always get limp mode.

I am not sure if I had a hose leak at very high engine bay/ambient temps, the only time it'd throw code, or if forcing the turbo to run it's full operating range fixed it.

I do not have a soot problem with my truck, the dealer agreed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks. 2018 Eco Diesel with 64K miles. Dash says "Service Electronic Throttle Control". EGR Recall not completed.

Lots of reading and I think I have a similar problem but the dealership is going about it differently. I was coasting to a stop and heard a tick-tick-tick sound like I picked up a nail or rock in the tire. As I continued to slow, it was not speed dependent, but RPM dependent. I sat at the stop sign and reviewed all gages and everything was well in spec. I turned the corner and there was no power...I got up to about 14mph, heard a whoosh, the engine died, and a note saying "Service Electronic Throttle Control" on the dash. There was a small fire on top on the manifold (under the plastic cowl). The next day, I could smell "burnt" but could not find any fire damage. I pulled the following codes: P0402: EGR A Flow Excessive Detected, P2297: O2 Sensor Out of Range During Deceleration Bank 1 Sensor 1, and P2008: Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open Bank 1. I tried to start it, but it would only turn over and not fire.

Dodge called today saying I needed a $2700 manifold - on back order till mid-October. My Service Advisor said, "the runners were plugged with soot - probably because you don't drive it on highways much". They continued with, "Once the mech gets the intake manifold changed out, he will be able to see if there is a problem with the throttle control valve or EGR".

I've never had an intake manifold go bad, but I've never had an eco-diesel either...is this something that can throw the 'service electronic throttle control' error? Oddly enough, it was not an OBD code that I pulled, but it was still showing on the dash.

Thank you for any thoughts on the matter and certainly for commiserating with me.

AtB,
Snuffy

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Your egr failed which caused the intake manifold failure. If the bypass valve doesn’t seal correctly it allows extremely hot gasses into the intake which melts it and can start fires. The recall is bogus and doesn't fix the issue but maybe the software patch they push during it might.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts