RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by no means a truck guy, I only know how to do basic oil changes and basic maintenance. I will try to describe to the best of my ability as to what happened as to see if anyone has information on this as dealerships aren't open till tomorrow.

I was driving at normal highway speeds about 100km on cruise control till I came up to a hill where I went to give it gas and relieved I had 0 power. I pulled over and lifted the hood to find some smoke and burning rubber smell coming from the top just under the engine cover. I let it sit as I wanted to at least try to get it home as it was the weekend and tow trucks would be expensive. Checked oil and other liquids and everything was fine. Watched the temps and nothing was overly warm to where it could over heat. I then found out that the trucks in what they all limp mode so I was able to get it all the way home in this mode and it's sat there since.

I have no issues starting it. It just goes into limp mode right away but engine doesn't get hot enough to make the smoke come anymore. From my understanding the wire that was burning was on-top near the turbo but can't find any diagrams to figure what the actual does could be.

I do plan on bringing it to the dealership Monday morning but thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas on what it could be. I've seen that it's been an issue but no posts discribe having white smoke of rubber like a wire was burning.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That sure sounds like a EGR ticking time bomb........

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sorry I'll elaborate. A random loss of power and lots of smoke and burning smells accompanied by smoke (or fire) coming from top of engine, sounds like an unfortunately familiar chain of events for those who have experienced EGR cooler issues that then lead to a melted intake manifold. I think OP should use caution and the recall for EGR cooler to his advantage to get truck towed in for recall and service instead of risking it burning the whole truck down. Then again there seem to be some here that would prefer the whole truck burnt so to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There wasn't a lot of smoke once I opened the hood it was just abit and it went away within seconds. Kind of like the smoke from sawdering wires. I think any is kgsues will be covered under dodges 5/100 anyways. Below is where the smoke was coming from best pictures I got.
IMG_20200522_153711.jpg
IMG_20200522_153720.jpg
IMG_20200522_153735.jpg

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Um your intake manifold was on fire and probably due to the egr bypass valve allowing stupid hot exhaust gasses to enter the egr valve. You well likely need a new egr assembly and intake manifold. After the repair get a stage 1 tune that well keep this from happening going forward.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Please post pictures of the intake manifold and any holes in it after a tech digs into it. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts