RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get fed up with something on my truck. Every couple of weeks I get a Service Electronic Throttle Control message on EVIC and it goes in to limp mode. So far each time I've cleared the codes and it is fine for a couple weeks. This time, I'm going to get it to the dealer, but I'm sure they are just gonna clear the code and send me on my way as it won't pop right back up. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
731 Posts
So, you're getting a repeated CEL, you've done nothing to even speak with a dealer, but you're already certain they're not going to do anything AND you're frustrated because it keeps happening. Yep, definitely an is with FCA. Time to lemon law this truck.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
When you are driving and this happens, are you coming to a stop or setting at a light waiting for it to chance or driving in bumper to bumper traffic ?? If you are touching the throttle and brake at the same time that causes that warning to come up. It just takes a slight touch on them to confuse the computer and that is why you get that warning. I know as I have been there and done that both at a light and stop and go traffic and just driving in slow city traffic... It took me some time to train my left foot as I had a habit of touching the brake at times. :confused:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I would explain to the service manager, in a kind but knowing manner, that if they clear the code, it will come back again, as it has several times before. They should have enough experience by now to know the root cause of the problem. Hopefully, you have a service department that actually cares enough to take care of the problem.

I received a shock absorber recall for my truck. I was shocked (pun intended) to find out that the dealership that gave be the best buying experience ever doesn't give a hoot about my recall. I told them where to go and tried another dealer, who has bent over backwards to help me. So, finding a good service department is perhaps 50% of the battle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had this happen a month ago. Took it to dealer. They flashed the pcm? and replaced an o2 sensor and a temp sensor. Been good so far.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the p-codes? that info would be helpful for diagnosis.
GDE, glad you responded to this. The codes are P0299 and U1424. I currently have one of your ECMs on the way to me now, is it likely to correct this issue or should I still get it to the dealer?

To answer a couple of other posts, I'm not fed up with FCA because I haven't even given them the opportunity to correct this. The issue is the limp mode condition, it has always occurred in the evening and I can't have it towed and be without a vehicle when a simple reset will have me on my way in about 5 minutes. I never drive with 2 feet, so I am not on the accelerator and brake at the same time. The fault has always occurred within a couple hundred feet of leaving a parking lot or driveway.

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
P0299 is an underboost code, this is was it leading to the limp mode. U1424 is not on my list, but "U" relates to the CAN bus and communication between modules in the vehicle. How many miles on your truck? Hopefully the tune prevents further occurrences of the code, but it could be a slow response turbo or some other mechanical issue. Let us know if the code returns after running the GDE tune.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P0299 is an underboost code, this is was it leading to the limp mode. U1424 is not on my list, but "U" relates to the CAN bus and communication between modules in the vehicle. How many miles on your truck? Hopefully the tune prevents further occurrences of the code, but it could be a slow response turbo or some other mechanical issue. Let us know if the code returns after running the GDE tune.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just had this happen to me yesterday. Some back story..

I've been having a recurring P26ab code for the 3-way coolant valve. It seems to happen most when driving for an extended period of time at speeds under 60mph. The last time it happened I noticed my transmission temps were about 10 degrees lower than normal when the truck was warmed up. This was the third time I had this code so they replaced the coolant valve.

Fast forward a month and I recently moved from Saskatchewan to Ohio. I pulled a trailer with our belongings and the truck performed flawlessly. Around four days ago I once again got a check engine light. I assumed that it was the P26ab code but I didn't have my OBD reader as it's packed in a box somewhere.

Yesterday when getting on the freeway the truck took a nose dive and lost most power. I could accelerate through gears 1 - 3 almost normally but you could tell there was no boost. In fact, I could no longer hear the turbo at all. I limped the truck home and after 10 minutes of driving I eventually got the "Service Electronic Throttle" warning. Interestingly, the truck doesn't seem to be in "limp mode". I still have all gears and I'm able to get to around 65-70mph but the truck is extremely weak with no power.

I took the truck in to a local dealer and they asked when I last changed the fuel filter. It was changed last oil change when it was due. The tech told me that "RAM is telling us to change them with every oil change". I find that hard to believe as this is the first I've heard of it.

Anyways, it's at the dealer now. They may look at it Monday. At least I have a loaner.

Riley

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just had this happen to me yesterday. Some back story..

I've been having a recurring P26ab code for the 3-way coolant valve. It seems to happen most when driving for an extended period of time at speeds under 60mph. The last time it happened I noticed my transmission temps were about 10 degrees lower than normal when the truck was warmed up. This was the third time I had this code so they replaced the coolant valve.

Fast forward a month and I recently moved from Saskatchewan to Ohio. I pulled a trailer with our belongings and the truck performed flawlessly. Around four days ago I once again got a check engine light. I assumed that it was the P26ab code but I didn't have my OBD reader as it's packed in a box somewhere.

Yesterday when getting on the freeway the truck took a nose dive and lost most power. I could accelerate through gears 1 - 3 almost normally but you could tell there was no boost. In fact, I could no longer hear the turbo at all. I limped the truck home and after 10 minutes of driving I eventually got the "Service Electronic Throttle" warning. Interestingly, the truck doesn't seem to be in "limp mode". I still have all gears and I'm able to get to around 65-70mph but the truck is extremely weak with no power.

I took the truck in to a local dealer and they asked when I last changed the fuel filter. It was changed last oil change when it was due. The tech told me that "RAM is telling us to change them with every oil change". I find that hard to believe as this is the first I've heard of it.

Anyways, it's at the dealer now. They may look at it Monday. At least I have a loaner.

Riley
Let us know what they come up with, I cannot believe the fuel filter would cause this problem unless it was at very high mileage between filter changes.
This has to be way more deeper, like something sticking or maybe the map sensor plugged up.

Hope it is a quick fix, and not a bigger issue!
Best of luck too ya.

·
Super Moderator
3,775 Posts
I find this about the fuel filter interesting too.
Let us know what they come up with, I cannot believe the fuel filter would cause this problem unless it was at very high mileage between filter changes.
Is 100K miles long enough between changes?... Actually he just changed the truck...lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hopefully I hear back from them today. Going back through my records the filter was changed two oil changes ago. So there is about ~18,000 miles on this filter. It could probably be changed, but it's still way under the 30,000 mile service interval.

I queried the tech a little on it and he said it's RAM telling them to change them with every oil change because they're having lots of issues like mine. It could also be a tactic to sell more filters. Honestly, if RAM is going to cut the service interval by 66% I think they can pick up the tab.

Riley

·
Registered
42 Posts
Heard back from the dealer. Initial diagnosis is the EGR tube and cooler are plugged with soot. They're still digging into it and that's all the service tech knew.

Riley

·
Registered
863 Posts
Heard back from the dealer. Initial diagnosis is the EGR tube and cooler are plugged with soot. They're still digging into it and that's all the service tech knew.

Riley
I guess the MAP sensor is not reading correctly, with all the soot build up!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Capt it's typical of dealers,to,throw money at problems with out fully understanding the problem. In the good old days any problem that cropped up ( no start poor power etc.) the first thing I did was change filters. They were and still are considerable less $$$ than these filters on this truck. You would think with all there sensors and diagnostic's that arbitrarily changing the filter would be unnecessary .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts