RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a ‘16 ED Laramie 4WD. I bought it used with 85k miles in Dec of ‘20. I have put a little over 55k miles on it since then and am currently sitting at 140k. The only issues out of the truck that i’ve had to date are a bad def tank, and a blown turbo coolant line.

I will preface this by saying that i have read every possible thread on this particular issue within these forums that i could find. From my understanding, a lot of people are having problems with their MAP sensor being clogged and soot build up from idling too long, or from colder temperatures.

Yet, today, the date of this message popping up, is 106° here in Texas and i drive pretty hard usually doing 5-15 mph over the speed limit at any given time. Truck is definitely in limp mode. As far as throttle control goes, it’s weak and laggier than usual and just has no power whatsoever.

I’ve read that some people have been given the runaround by a dealer where nobody could figure out what the solution was to this particular problem. I’ve read some guy installed a GDE hot tune and it resolved his issues. Another spent $9k in repairs before with no solution. Some say it’s a fuel filter fix.

I’m lost on what the problem actually is and would like some clarity. Having to borrow my dad’s dually to daily around until i can figure out what’s happening, and my wallet is screaming at the thought of dailying a dually with these diesel prices being what they are.

The only code is P0299 which is turbo underboost.

Again, i’ve researched multiple threads and havent found any solid solutions to what might be causing this issue, and most of the threads were fairly dated, so please excuse me if I’m asking a question that’s already been answered elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hi: 32tjr... I had that message once after idling waiting for my wife!!! Drove to my appt. in limp mode.. and parked. After a cooling off period truck started and ran fine but with MIL light lit. Eventually it went out. IMHO I think it was a prompt from Stella Antics due to the fact the dealer needed more work!!! These trucks cost MEGA $$$$'s to maintain. At the moment I'm dealing with an "Improper DEF detected" See dealer. message. I've had lots of these and always buy my DEF from my farm fuel dealer. My RAM service advisor says if the MIL light isn't flashing it's ok to drive it!!! SHEESH!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hi: 32tjr... Added a fresh jug... at least I think it was fresh, to the DEF tank. Started the truck to reset the level gauge and "Poof" out went the MIL light. YEA!!! I'll just wave at the dealer on the way by.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine did the same thing and I got the same code.
1- Clean MAP sensor (1 bolt easy to find on YouTube, took me 15 minutes. It's a TORX bolt so be prepared)
2- Clean EGR tube (2 allen bolts at each end). Again YouTube, 10 minutes max.
3- Haven't heard a bad thing about Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme fuel treatment. For $20 why not try?
I did all three and that code, as well as 3 others, never came back after being deleted with scan tune.
And for the GDE ECU and Tranny tune? Best $1200 I've spent on the truck. And remember: I DON'T WORK FOR EITHER HOT SHOT NOR GDE!!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Mine did the same thing and I got the same code.
1- Clean MAP sensor (1 bolt easy to find on YouTube, took me 15 minutes. It's a TORX bolt so be prepared)
2- Clean EGR tube (2 allen bolts at each end). Again YouTube, 10 minutes max.
3- Haven't heard a bad thing about Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme fuel treatment. For $20 why not try?
I did all three and that code, as well as 3 others, never came back after being deleted with scan tune.
And for the GDE ECU and Tranny tune? Best $1200 I've spent on the truck. And remember: I DON'T WORK FOR EITHER HOT SHOT NOR GDE!!!
Hi: Coachpilot... I'm not one for adding "Snake oil" but Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme really works IMHO. The reason dealers don't sell it is they make more money that way!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi: Coachpilot... I'm not one for adding "Snake oil" but Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme really works IMHO. The reason dealers don't sell it is they make more money that way!!!
When you hear 50% say it works and 50% say it doesn't, then the jury is out on any matter.
Though when I hear 100% of the people that have tried HS Secret D Extreme... well, what's $20 in the grand scheme of things? And my truck has run better than ever (2015 with 144k miles). I've definitely waisted money in much worse ways... like tickets for a Foreigner concert in the 80's!!!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I pulled the map and EGR tube - they were pretty nasty. Dont have any break cleaner, so i scraped it off out with a case knife and then gave it a rub with a microfiber rag similar to that of a teenager with his first playboy.
View attachment 92188 View attachment 92190 View attachment 92186
View attachment 92189
@32tjr - That soot removal can't hurt! Delete the codes, try some of that Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme (I got mine at Advanced Auto) and we'll all cross our fingers for you.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've been replacing the MAP sensor every 30,000 miles. The dealer replaced the first one at 33,000 miles under warranty. I replaced it at 60,000 miles and again at 90,000 miles. I do a lot of short commutes, idling, and towing, plus my truck was stock for the first 93,000 miles. I now have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune, so I'm not sure if it will be cleaner or not. I'll pull the sensor again at the next 30,000 interval (120,000 miles) and inspect.

Reactions: 32tjr

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been replacing the MAP sensor every 30,000 miles. The dealer replaced the first one at 33,000 miles under warranty. I replaced it at 60,000 miles and again at 90,000 miles. I do a lot of short commutes, idling, and towing, plus my truck was stock for the first 93,000 miles. I now have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune, so I'm not sure if it will be cleaner or not. I'll pull the sensor again at the next 30,000 interval (120,000 miles) and inspect.
REPLACED sensor? Why not just clean them?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
REPLACED sensor? Why not just clean them?
According to Mopar, the sensor is a replacement part, not a part that is intended to be cleaned. That's why mine was replaced under warranty. Back in those days, you could replace the sensor for $35 bucks. Overtime, people successfully cleaned their sensors with no ill effects. Now that I know they can be safely cleaned and reused, I'll probably clean the sensors and keep one new sensor on hand.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
According to Mopar, the sensor is a replacement part, not a part that is intended to be cleaned. That's why mine was replaced under warranty. Back in those days, you could replace the sensor for $35 bucks. Overtime, people successfully cleaned their sensors with no ill effects. Now that I know they can be safely cleaned and reused, I'll probably clean the sensors and keep one new sensor on hand.
Hi: biodiesel... That's what my mechanic said but he cleaned it and put it back in anyway. Just make sure you use a MAP sensitive cleaner!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep. This all happened to my ‘18 last week. I maintain all my vehicles so I’m not scared to try and fix myself. But with the throttle sensor alert and showing under boost code from a “fixd” obd reader I was a little worried.
I went by a couple smaller auto repair places. They were gonna take 2-3 wks to even get to it. Well it’s my only vehicle, and I know I couldn’t drive it the way it was. I started googling it and found the YouTube video.
Took me about 30-45 mins total. I sprayed the sensor with a “electronic cleaner”. I was wondering how my egr tube would be since Ive put the gde ecm on it at 20k miles. I’m at 110k now. I was shocked it came out exactly as this picture. And inside the tube. I just got a rag and it wiped out easily. Got it back together, cleared the code and all has been good since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello,

I have a ‘16 ED Laramie 4WD. I bought it used with 85k miles in Dec of ‘20. I have put a little over 55k miles on it since then and am currently sitting at 140k. The only issues out of the truck that i’ve had to date are a bad def tank, and a blown turbo coolant line.

I will preface this by saying that i have read every possible thread on this particular issue within these forums that i could find. From my understanding, a lot of people are having problems with their MAP sensor being clogged and soot build up from idling too long, or from colder temperatures.

Yet, today, the date of this message popping up, is 106° here in Texas and i drive pretty hard usually doing 5-15 mph over the speed limit at any given time. Truck is definitely in limp mode. As far as throttle control goes, it’s weak and laggier than usual and just has no power whatsoever.

I’ve read that some people have been given the runaround by a dealer where nobody could figure out what the solution was to this particular problem. I’ve read some guy installed a GDE hot tune and it resolved his issues. Another spent $9k in repairs before with no solution. Some say it’s a fuel filter fix.

I’m lost on what the problem actually is and would like some clarity. Having to borrow my dad’s dually to daily around until i can figure out what’s happening, and my wallet is screaming at the thought of dailying a dually with these diesel prices being what they are.

The only code is P0299 which is turbo underboost.

Again, i’ve researched multiple threads and havent found any solid solutions to what might be causing this issue, and most of the threads were fairly dated, so please excuse me if I’m asking a question that’s already been answered elsewhere.
Hey there,

If you've taken this in to your dealer in the last two weeks, or have an appointment coming up in the next two weeks, please send us a direct message. We can assist you in the diagnosis and repair of your vehicle.

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am battling this same issue right now. Service electronic throttle, running in limp mode.

Truck was tuned around 65k by previous owner, I'm now around 92k. So far I've cleaned MAP sensor, cleaned EGR crossover tube, replaced fuel filter, checked frame harness and checked the harness right above the brake pedal.

Average speed of the truck is 43 MPH, and my Blackstone oil sample came back perfect 2k miles ago.

Zero codes on ECU.

What else should I try?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I am battling this same issue right now. Service electronic throttle, running in limp mode.

Truck was tuned around 65k by previous owner, I'm now around 92k. So far I've cleaned MAP sensor, cleaned EGR crossover tube, replaced fuel filter, checked frame harness and checked the harness right above the brake pedal.

Average speed of the truck is 43 MPH, and my Blackstone oil sample came back perfect 2k miles ago.

Zero codes on ECU.

What else should I try?
Hi: j98... It's hard to try a dose of Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme in a tank full of fuel while in "Limp mode"!!! The least it could do is clean your injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi: j98... It's hard to try a dose of Hot Shots Secret Diesel Extreme in a tank full of fuel while in "Limp mode"!!! The least it could do is clean your injectors.
I'll give it a try, I ran the recommended dosage 2000 miles ago. Was planning to run another dose at 2500 per the bottle recommendations.

Truck still starts fine but is way down on power. Did notice the filter I pulled out was definitely not a OEM unit.

Truck is down to half a tank from filling up last Tuesday, ive never let it get much if at all below quarter tank.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts