RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel has been great for 2.5 years, and now has 42k miles. Not one single problem ever. I pulled my 6000lb camper a total of 600 miles this past weekend, and dropped it off at storage Sunday eve. Drove it Monday, no issues. Today I get in the truck and get some warnings popping up on dash.....Service 4wd, Service Trailer brakes, and ESC service needed. It still drives smoothly and perfectly, no noises, etc. I took it to AutoZone and they plugged in the reader and got no engine codes. Is there any fix for these annoying lights? Also, I noticed my backup camera isn't working even when shifting into Reverse, using the icon, nothing. In the controls app the backup camera icon isn't even there anymore. I disconnected the negative battery terminal cable for about an hour hoping to reset things but it didn't work. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
One of the batteries in my truck trashed itself about two weeks ago. All kinds of crazy codes unrelated to that came up. Just a guess...

Check your battery and also look for any connector issues underneath.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
646 Posts
My 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel has been great for 2.5 years, and now has 42k miles. Not one single problem ever. I pulled my 6000lb camper a total of 600 miles this past weekend, and dropped it off at storage Sunday eve. Drove it Monday, no issues. Today I get in the truck and get some warnings popping up on dash.....Service 4wd, Service Trailer brakes, and ESC service needed. It still drives smoothly and perfectly, no noises, etc. I took it to AutoZone and they plugged in the reader and got no engine codes. Is there any fix for these annoying lights? Also, I noticed my backup camera isn't working even when shifting into Reverse, using the icon, nothing. In the controls app the backup camera icon isn't even there anymore. I disconnected the negative battery terminal cable for about an hour hoping to reset things but it didn't work. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Your battery is pretty new considering that others have had them last seven years. In case you don't find another fix, you might skim my thread.

What happens if they can't fix it? | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
830 Posts
In the 4th gen trucks there's an electrical harness connector on the frame rail under the drivers seat that comes loose and causes all kinds of codes and issues. I'm not sure if the 5th gen is the same but it might be worth a look. your symptoms sound very similar

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked all the connections I could find under driver's side and didn't find a loose one. Thanks for the advice. What's interesting is that sometimes I will still get the 'Service 4wd" code, but it will shift between 4wd auto, low, and high anyway, and back to 2wd. It's like the light is on, but sometimes it will still shift. Still not sure how you can get "Service trailer brakes" light when a trailer isn't hooked up. I even hooked it back up and the trailer brakes work fine even when light is on. Baffling.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Checked all the connections I could find under driver's side and didn't find a loose one. Thanks for the advice. What's interesting is that sometimes I will still get the 'Service 4wd" code, but it will shift between 4wd auto, low, and high anyway, and back to 2wd. It's like the light is on, but sometimes it will still shift. Still not sure how you can get "Service trailer brakes" light when a trailer isn't hooked up. I even hooked it back up and the trailer brakes work fine even when light is on. Baffling.
What you report is consistent with bad connections, although that doesn't prove that is the cause. I also got "Service trailer brakes" light when a trailer wasn't hooked up. I hope you don't get the thousands of dings and messages I did. I hope you have a good tech nearby. This is likely unrelated to the ED, so any tech familiar with the trucks should be able to solve it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.......had the Eco at the dealer today for a DEF recall software update. While there he cleared the ABS module codes. About 30 minutes later during test drive they came on again. Still drives like nothing wrong with it, but lights are present again.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Update.......had the Eco at the dealer today for a DEF recall software update. While there he cleared the ABS module codes. About 30 minutes later during test drive they came on again. Still drives like nothing wrong with it, but lights are present again.
I'd bet on a bad connection, although it could be a different one than mine. Mine was first diagnosed as a bad ABS module and only two were available in the US. I got one of them and all was fine for 250 miles! Mine did refuse to go into gear a few times, so yours isn't as bad---so far.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after I got it home and it sat for a few hours, I had to run an errand, round trip 30 miles, and the ESC and Trailer Brake lights never came on, but the Service 4WD would go off and on a few times, but still shifted fine. At least my cruise control works now. Any idea where the 4wd shift connection is on transfer case??

·
Registered
526 Posts
My 2014 had the same codes when my battery was failing. No issues since replacing the battery. The difference is my battery was 7 years old. It isn't impossible for your battery to be failing to hold a full charge. Have you had your battery tested?

·
Registered
646 Posts
So after I got it home and it sat for a few hours, I had to run an errand, round trip 30 miles, and the ESC and Trailer Brake lights never came on, but the Service 4WD would go off and on a few times, but still shifted fine. At least my cruise control works now. Any idea where the 4wd shift connection is on transfer case??
Since you've had a number of unrelated trouble messages, I doubt that it's the connector for any one system such as the transfer case/4WD. I count five different messages you've seen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I may have confused the issue with my posts, but I've actually had 3 different ones......Service ESC, Service Trailer Brakes, and Service 4WD system. I did check my battery again and got a reading of 12.36V when truck is not running, and 12.96V when at idle. Sounds a bit low?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I may have confused the issue with my posts, but I've actually had 3 different ones......Service ESC, Service Trailer Brakes, and Service 4WD system. I did check my battery again and got a reading of 12.36V when truck is not running, and 12.96V when at idle. Sounds a bit low?
What's the voltage when cranking? At idle the alternator is working so it reads higher. My old battery read over 12 without load and would still start the truck, but the voltage dropped to about 11.5 when starting and that's when notifications started. These trucks do weird things when batteries aren't 100%.

Out of curiosity, do you have an in service or build date on your battery? I'm wondering if it sat somewhere for a year without charge.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
1,015 Posts
Have your battery load tested. Those voltages sound low but it is your amps that also very important. Todays vehicle rely on a constant state with little amount of tolerances.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You also mentioned ABS module codes, the backup camera, and problems with cruise control. Since the problems are intermittent, it will be hard for techs to track down the source unless the truck strands you somewhere. If it worries you enough, you could stick in a new or borrowed battery, but my money is still on a connector because of the similarity to my gremlins.

Reactions: HYDREX
1 - 18 of 18 Posts