RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its -9*F here this evening and as I backed out of the drive way I got the Service ParkSense error message. I've had that before in very cold weather. This will be the last Winter with my bumper to bumper warranty. I need to make an appointment with the dealer, but they are probably going to let me know that they cannot duplicate the problem. Its gotta be pretty cold for this to happen. I have a squeal in the HVAC fan that is similar...its gotta be very cold for the condition to occur. Any one else have issues with ParkSense in extreme cold weather? I'm curious if new sensors correct the problem, or if this is something where I'll just need to turn ParkSense off when its this cold.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I get the "Wipe Sensor" in the winter all the time. Was told it is either ice/snow forming/covering the sensor or salt buildup nothing they can do about it. Check out the other manufactures sites they all do this in the winter.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
About 2 months ago I went to the top of MT Mitchell, snowing and freezing temperatures,my sensors started giving same codes ,I checked them out and they had a thin coating of ice on them . When I went back down the mountain everything melted and sensors worked perfectly.

Also had a big dragonfly splatter on a sensor,acted same way until I cleaned it off ...

BTW ... I use the parking sensors all the time, very useful when pulling in or backing towards a Prius or any low car , Use caution I almost took out the grill of a new Cadillac with my tow hitch backing in , stopped several inches from the hitch going thru the grill .

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
This icing slushy snow isn’t just a problem with parking sensors-it’s also a problem on vehicles equipped with automatic cruise control. That’s something I believe the 19’s will get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
I get this from time to time as well. For me it is snow and slush or ice on the front. Not a big deal.

My Volvo has lots of sensors and sometimes it will disable thr cruise and foward collision stuff when the front sensors get fouled. Usually slush and ice. I have also had it slam the brakes on in a drive through when it was -25 out. When the car in front pulled away, it left a dense cloud of condensation that the car thought was an object. Slamed the brakes and i looked like an idiot to the guy in the drive through window.

Also, when i was at thr dealer last they flashed a bunch of things and noticed right away that the rear park sense now has a slower speed limit as well as what appears to be lower sensitivity.

I really wish they provided notes on the updates on what they fix and change because it seems like a downgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
He’d to replace a rear sensor, the tech said when you tow you’re suppose to turn off the rear parksense, my thoughts are, why doesn’t the parksense warn me about the trailer, I would turn it off, when I drop the tailgate it goes right off.
Yes the front parksense goes off when covered, possible smoke condensation set off his rears?
Ah, the 19’s will have distortion cruise, can’t wait.

·
Registered
766 Posts
On my 2015, when I plug in the trailer connection, the "truck" automatically turns off the rear parking sensors. Guess somewhere in the software, maybe...Cut excerpt from manual:::

NOTE: The ParkSense® system will automatically disable
when the system detects that a trailer with trailer
brakes has been connected to the Integrated Trailer Brake
Module. The EVIC/DID will display “PARKSENSE OFF”
message for as long as the vehicle is in reverse.

Reactions: dieseldoya

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Other than the usual "wipe sensors" message, this morning I got the "Service Parksense Sensors" message. It's now showing a permanent message in the evic system. Anyone have any insight on what I need to do to clear this message? How to test which sensor may need to be replaced? It has shut the system down and I cant even differentiate if it's the front or rear that's causing the problem.
Any help would be appreciated.
I wont be going to the dealer for this.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Usually the system tells you to wipe either the front or rear sensors to get the sensors to make the system operational again. Todays issues were different. The evic has a permanent message stating to "Service Sensors" . Even after wiping all the sensors clean this morning, the system would not reset or clear itself. I started the truck several times throughout the day to see if I could get the "Service Sensors" message to clear from the evic. No go.

Drove home (60 miles)with the evic lit up and single chime whenever my speed dropped below around 25 kph.
The override buttons near the console wouldn't shut the system down or change anything with the evic message. They wouldn't make front or rear systems functional.
Arrived home and sprayed the 6 front and 4 rear sensors in the bumpers with WD40.
Started the truck up and the chimes have now stopped and the "Service Sensors" message is gone. Obviously water is reeking havoc with the sensors. I'll see how the system functions in the next couple days.
The dealer would have changed a bunch of sensors and kept my truck all day to the tune of probably close to $500 -$700.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So the Service Parksense message keeps returning. I was able to isolate the problem to be the rear only. I then removed the sensors from the bumper, cleaned them, the holders, the wire connections, lubed the connectors and re-installed. The issue persists. I think one of the sensors are bad so I have ordered a set of four replacements from Amazon. They will only take a couple minutes to replace all four now that I've unseized all of the connections and cleaned all the winter shiit from them.
The replacements only come in black so I will need to paint them Argent silver. I'll report back once I paint them and get them installed.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
997 Posts
Just for grins and giggles, try unhooking your battery for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The rear system works for a while then goes into "Service Parksense" mode intermittently then clears itself. This led me to think it was a connection issue but after cleaning all the connections I think it's a bad sensor. I will change each one individually and test the system until I find the bad one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Finally received the 4 new sensors from China. Replaced them one by one until the Service Parksense fault message cleared. It took replacing all four. Then went back and tried all four of the old sensors one by one hoping to at least have some good spares for future. No dice.......what are the odds of all four failing. It doesn't make sense to me. Could the system only recognize four sensors with the same resistance or load value. Could it be set up that way?
Bottom line is the system works again and only cost me $36.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts