RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Service Throttle Position Sensor

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Bustineco's 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after 10k miles care free owning the truck (purchased with 24k, now has 33287), I’ve gotten the dreaded Service Electronic Throttle Control code. I was doing some light hauling and towing helping my brother clean out his new house. Truck runs good, just the code. I’ll schedule an appointment ASAP to have it looked at, and will post my exact experience and results to add to the pool.

I’ve heard anything from cracked boost pipes to bad fuel to loose connectors. I’m eager to see what is the cause.

Regards,

Dave

#7 ·
Update: exact code is P0299 turbo/supercharger Underboost. I cleaned the map sensor and egr diffuser yesterday, assuming this would be the code since they’re so common. Code hasn’t cleared itself, and I’d rather not clear it with the reader until Thursday when the dealership can find out exactly what happened.

From my browsing, it seems that the core cause was a software issue.

Dave

#9 ·
Bit of an update. The dealership turned me away this morning, apparently the only person employed there who is capable of doing the paperwork necessary to complete the AEM is gone, so they rescheduled everything for Tuesday.

Saturday I have to make a trip out to Ohio, so naturally I’d like to have use of the turbo while doing so. I deleted the CEL, took the truck for a drive, and it hadn’t come back on (yet, knock on wood). I’m assuming my cleaning the map sensor was the fix.

Regardless, truck will be going in Tuesday and the tech assured me he will go through all the same steps as if the code were still present. Sorry for the anticlimactic story.

Dave

#10 ·
A code reader is a must for anyone's tool box.

#12 ·
It's likely your intake air duct. After clearing codes it can take up to 500 miles for it rerun monitors on these. The AEM or 3.0 emissions update seems to reduce power on a cold engine when emissions would be highest due to incomplete burning of the fuel. I've done about 40 and only noticed power lag when the engine is cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.