RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everybody, we are very happy to have found this forum of all new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel owners. We are soo excited with our new Slt crew cab Bighorn, it is with no doubt the best light truck we ever owned. My question to all of you is about a major concern must people have about fueling dirty diesel, as we plan to travel a lot into Mexico, Baja specially, we are deeply concerned about bad quality diesel south of the border. I have found out that Mopar has a severeduty diesel filter fot the Cummins engine that is attached to the frame of the truck, does anyone knows if this kit will work with a ram 1500? thank you

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
First off, welcome to the community BAJA! :) Congrats on the new truck...and you need to understand a tradition we have here - the posting of pictures. ;) So post 'em if you got 'em...pics of the truck, that is... :D

I don't know if the Mopar system will work on the 1500, but please understand they are very different trucks so it's unlikely its a bolt on affair. That said, ANYTHING can be made to work. ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
The stock filters on the 2500/3500 were rated at 7 microns and the severe duty were a bit better at 2-3microns i think (5micron if you used an aftermarket drop in filter on the stock canister). Bosch reccomended at least 3 micron filtration on the cummins as well as the Ecodiesel. From what i have heard so far, i beleive the stock filter on the Ecodiesel is 3 micron which is what Bosch recommends so you should get adiquit filtration but i would probably cut the service interval in half (around 5000 miles) if you plan on running a lot of south of the border diesel and/or possible adding a secondary filter inline before the injection pump. A lot of cummins people just added a CAT 2micron spin-on filter assembly after the stock filter. Should be pretty easy to do and im sure the aftermarket will catch on within the next year or so.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The stock is 3 micron on our diesels. I did the CAT 2 micron on my old Libby CRD. Not sure I needed it, but it was there so......................................... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thank you for your replay, do you know of any filter system attached to the frame of the truck that may pre filter the fuel prior to entering tne fuel tank? i have heard from people that contamination in some mexicans gas stations could be as much as 10mililiters per liter of fuel. It is quite too much. Must mexican rigs carrie as many 4 filters attached to the frame of their trucks...at this ratio I am contemplating to get a Piusi fuel transfer tank on the bed of the truck, you know like these service trucks carry on the back, do my own refueling,,, combersome however...but these kits have a 2 or three micron filters..... may be the solution....i don't know....

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thats a good idea with the additional tank in the bed, it would be a long long time before you had to fuel up which could come in handy. Only thing i could see going wrong is if you slipstreamed the extra tank into the stock tank, i dont know if the fuel would seep out of the capless filler nozzle or not. I have seen fuel tank "socks" online at a few places that get inserted down the filler neck, but once again i dont know how that would work with the capless design and those socks are only good for large particles of dirt and not down to the 3micron level.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Here is why I am buying the Caterpillar filter. This is a good lesson on why going cheap is very dangerous. Cut open the filter and compare features. Notice the CAT filter has more pleats offering more total surface area (when unraveled). It also has something that no other fuel filter has - fiberglass spiral roving that circles the pleats. This ensures the pleats don't "bunch up" under pressure while also increasing overall strength. Another unique feature that other brands to cheap on - use of metal top and bottom End Caps. The CAT filter uses high quality molded plastic - this 1) removes all metal filings and dust that results from use of metal and poor manufacturing process, and 2) the end caps are molded around the paper media pleats to ensure no dirty fuel can bypass the media. The paper media is high high quality, notice what this looks like AFTER use in someone's duramax.

If you buy a filter from any local auto shop, and cut it open, you will be shocked to see the short cuts taken. Modern fuel injectors need extremely clean fuel. One spec of dirt can ruin the injector. Imagine shooting a piece of sand through the injector at 29,000 PSI. I worry about my local fuel stations that don't cycle much fuel. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403912482.485305.jpg

I am hoping to find a spot to install this prior to the stock filter to prolong life of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oilbelcher, there is no doubt that Cat products is the way to go, I will be checking with the dealership to see where we can install the filter... thank you for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts