RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SFT's ECM tune will turn off the ECS system. This feature is not mentioned on their website but is a feature that is in demand
by off-roaders who either pull the F26 fuse or make a custom on/off system as I had done.

I doubt all owners with the SFT tune know about this feature so I made a brief instruction on how it works.
See the att. PDF file.

I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Are those instructions from jimmy because they are wrong? To turn off 4 high in stock trim just press and hold the traction control button it well pop a message on the evic after around 10 seconds saying esc off, it well stay off tell 40 mph. 4 low automatically disables esc, tcs, abs, etc.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are those instructions from jimmy because they are wrong?
If you read my post it says, " I made a brief instruction on how it works."
So tell me, why are they wrong? Be specific and include your source.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are those instructions from jimmy because they are wrong? To turn off 4 high in stock trim just press and hold the traction control button it well pop a message on the evic after around 10 seconds saying esc off, it well stay off tell 40 mph. 4 low automatically disables esc, tcs, abs, etc.
Not sure what your source is or what you are driving but my 2016 in stock mode performs exactly as I described. And my Owners manual says the same thing.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brokendownbutgood,

This is from my 2016 Owners Manual

All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:

ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.

ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.

This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:

ESC Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode.

JFJ Note: “ESC Off” switch is their term for the truck's Traction Control switch

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Y
Brokendownbutgood,

This is from my 2016 Owners Manual

All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:

ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.

ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.

This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:

ESC Full Off
This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode.

JFJ Note: “ESC Off” switch is their term for the truck's Traction Control switch
Your owners manual agrees with me esc and tcs are fully shut off automaticly in 4 low but to disable them in 4 high you press and hold the traction control button for 5 or more seconds. This is nothing jimmy does or changes.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Your owners manual agrees with me esc and tcs are fully shut off automaticly in 4 low but to disable them in 4 high you press and hold the traction control button for 5 or more seconds. This is nothing jimmy does or changes.
Edited:
I deleted what I said as I am finding some data that may agree with Brokendownbutgood's comments. The problem is I cannot validate what I said about my truck's OEM tune ESC functions.

1 - My owner's manual says for 2wd, 2 auto, 4 high:
"ESC Partial Off (TSC off)
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch." ETC and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated.

There is no mention of holding the switch for 5 seconds to enter ESC Off. Can someone verify if the 5 second hold works and the ESC light comes on with their OEM tune?

Then the question is does the ESC light mean that ESC is fully off or partially off? Big question.

2 - The owner manual does not agree nor in actual use does 4 low automatically go into ESC Full Off. You have to stop, be in neutral and press and hold the Traction Control button for 5 seconds.

If item 1 can be confirmed that the OEM tune operates as Brokendownbutgood says I owe him a big apology regardless of what the owner manual says. And I need to correct my data.

Thanks all

·
Registered
525 Posts
You cannot fully disable the traction control or stability control by pushing the button. I found this out the hard way and after many calls to FCA, an engineer confirmed that neither can be 100% disabled. I did the same thing John J. did and made a switch to disable the fuse.

Really cool that SFT included that in their tune.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lucky Dog,

Thanks for that.
Are you saying the FCA engineer is saying this part of the Owner Manual is not true? I'm not challenging you or him, I just find it hard to believe. It makes our switch even more necessary.

ESC Full Off

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just tried it on mine since I needed to check my po box. Went out to a dirt lot and put it in 4 auto and held the traction control button for 5 seconds esc disabled popped up. Then proceed to do a couple doughnuts to conform esc is off. Works just fine.
Thanks.
Since you joined this forum in 2016 I assume your truck is a 2016, the same as mine, and it is not tuned, correct?
I'm still looking for clarification if means partial or full off. Do you think doing donuts tests whether or not both directional control and stability control are turned off?

The reason I'm uncertain if the "ESC Off display" means full off is because I know the truck when in 4 low has to be stopped and in neutral to turn ESC full off. If all this is required to go to full off in 4 low how can it go to full off in 4 auto or 4 high in gear and moving?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Mine is a 2015 and is gde tuned both ecm and tcm. The reason I try doughnuts is it tests that both stability control and traction control is off. If only traction control is off it well brake the tires loose then stability control kicks in when it starts to slide. Switching to 4 low requires shifting mechanical inside the t case but just engaging 4 high or auto does not. Esc and tsc are just an electrical feature but they do use the brakes to function as well.

If jimmy can figure out how to fully disable esc in 2wd but keep traction control as is that would be great.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is a 2015 and is gde tuned both ecm and tcm. The reason I try doughnuts is it tests that both stability control and traction control is off. If only traction control is off it well brake the tires loose then stability control kicks in when it starts to slide. Switching to 4 low requires shifting mechanical inside the t case but just engaging 4 high or auto does not. Esc and tsc are just an electrical feature but they do use the brakes to function as well.

If jimmy can figure out how to fully disable esc in 2wd but keep traction control as is that would be great.
You have answered both my dilemmas. I thought the transfer case might have something to do with the 4 low requirements, you have confirmed that. And, apparently by your donut test, ESC Off display means Full Off.
I do owe you an apology and thanks for helping me getting it straight.

I still want to hear from non-tuned owner/s to verify that their non-tuned truck behaves the same as yours. Also from Lucky Dog regards the FCA engineer's statement.

As for Jimmy's tune, it looks like he has changed the 4 low ESC Full Off from a manual process to automatic.

Thanks again, I owe you one.

·
Vendor
1,137 Posts
LOL SKT is not changing ESC or TSC functions. Those are not controlled by the two modules he is trying to tune (ecm and tcm).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL SKT is not changing ESC or TSC functions. Those are not controlled by the two modules he is trying to tune (ecm and tcm).
LOL? Hmmn

How would you explain, "As for Jimmy's tune, it changed the 4 low ESC Full Off from a manual process to automatic."?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To users/owners of the SFT ECM tune.

I created this thread to explain an SFT tune feature.

GDE responded above with:
"LOL SKT is not . Those are not controlled by the two modules he is trying to tune (ecm and tcm)".

I responded asking GDE:
"How would you explain, "As for Jimmy's tune, it changed the 4 low ESC Full Off from a manual process to automatic."?

GDE chooses to not reply to my question.
So I contacted Jimmy (SFT) who said that yes, he does change the ESC and TSC functions.

Attached is my updated/corrected PDF, dated 12/10/2019, on how to manage the ESC & TSC functions with your SFT ECU tune. I have tested and verified all of the functions with my 2016 Ram 1500.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,137 Posts
I did not respond because you and Jimmy are not making sense. The ESC and TSC feature you list are stock features and ESC is off automatically in 4LOW. Please look at a wiring diagram of these vehicles and the CAN bus LIDs. ESC and TSC are controlled by the ABS module. Your information and sources are wrong. I am not sure what else to tell you, but you seem to be focused on a certain narrative.

·
Registered
600 Posts
John. I am more prone to believe in the GDE knowledge base because of the decades of programming done while part of the Mopar vehicles of years gone by. What is Jimmies background?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not respond because you and Jimmy are not making sense. The ESC and TSC feature you list are stock features and ESC is off automatically in 4LOW. Please look at a wiring diagram of these vehicles and the CAN bus LIDs. ESC and TSC are controlled by the ABS module. Your information and sources are wrong. I am not sure what else to tell you, but you seem to be focused on a certain narrative.
Here is my source, the Owner Manual and my stock tuned truck. The following quotes my owner manual and is exactly how my truck engaged with the OEM tune. You will notice it is a manual operation, definitely not automatic as you claim.

"This Is the ESC operating mode in 4WD LOW:
ESC Full Off This mode is intended for off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions. This mode is entered by pressing and holding the “ESC Off” switch for five seconds WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STOPPED and the engine is running. After five seconds, the “ESC Off Indicator Light” will illuminate and the “ESC Off” message will appear in the odometer. ESC and TCS except for the “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section are turned off until the vehicle reaches a speed of 40 mph (64 km/h). At 40 mph (64 km/h) the system returns to “Partial Off” mode."

With the SFT tune it is automatically engaging.

How is this, as you say, "not making sense"?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John. I am more prone to believe in the GDE knowledge base because of the decades of programming done while part of the Mopar vehicles of years gone by. What is Jimmies background?
Believe what you want. I am stating facts that GDE seems to ignore. Jimmy's background has nothing to do with this discussion, his tune speaks for itself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts