RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Look at this link, GDE is getting into the OBD2 business as well. It is truly the best way to tune a car/truck. Once GDE gets into it, the Old methods will go the way of the Dodo bird. And there will be other companies doing it as well.
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/green-diesel-engineering/63264-obd-flash-tool-engine-interest.html
I would not even think of using a flash tool and here is why.
GDE said The flash tool leaves a footprint via flash counter, this could be an issue with warranty if dealer checks it. That is a benefit for bench flashing ecms, not change in flash counter.
So using a flash tool could and most likely would vold your powertrain warranty. The dealer makes a whole lot more money replacing a engine or trans off of you then they do off of FCA! Nope I will just drive the 60 +/- miles to have them tune/update as needed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
GDE was looking at putting out a OBD flash capable tune with a handheld tuner, but have stated they are holding off on that until the AEM is out so they can see if it's worth their time. Their customer service is great, and the product they provide is worth the time and money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
gde was looking at putting out a obd flash capable tune with a handheld tuner, but have stated they are holding off on that until the aem is out so they can see if it's worth their time. Their customer service is great, and the product they provide is worth the time and money.
aem?

·
Banned
48 Posts
I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for. Here you've got actual software engineers that used to work for FCA, compared to someone who claims to be U.S. Combat Veteran Owned and Operated when they're not.

Take a look at the list of modifications to the ECM tune on each website and it's easy to see who has put in the work. Should your tune need troubleshooting, are you gonna turn to software engineers or the new kid on the block that think's it's cool to put the F bomb in his company's URL?
We are VERY much Combat owned and operated. Do your research and DO NOT lie. Thank you. Personally 14 years AD, 11 years in the sand box on/off. More #*#$(*& than anyone should be exposed to. But I'm happy people can share opinions like you just did. That's why I do what I do. Right or wrong, you CAN speak your mind. Thanks for letting me serve.

As for the FCA engineers claim? The other company hasn't heard of Winols. You know, the software Bosch used to write the EDC17C79. Boggles my mind. Especially when I see the other company's simple logic, "do not open/do not inject/do not regen/do not throw CEL if disconnected". Whereas at SFT we ACTUALLY go deep into the ECU and delete 8-bit data relevant to what's being deleted.

First people accused SFT of "stealing GDE tuning" because GDE started that rumor. It's been proven 100+ times over now that WAS A LIE. As for the other stuff..."stay tuned". Open your mind and recognize something great when you see it. Sure, be skeptical, "Trust but verify", right? Just don't believe what you "think" without a shred of evidence or even supporting documentation.

·
Banned
48 Posts
“software engineers or the new kid on the block that think's it's cool to put the F bomb in his company's url”

I was thinking the same thing. As a service member I understand the dark sense of humor and vulgarity of the veteran community (and participate in it heavily), However, it’s a business and not a bar, and seemed very unprofessional. Nevertheless I was curious as to what people have experienced with them. After reading these, I wholeheartedly intend to go with GDE after all of the reviews I’ve read, and as mentioned, I’d pay the extra money for good service.

Dave
Have you actually seen the reviews? Compared? We've tuned people who had GDE. They sold their GDE ECU/TCM device for SFT. Easy OBD2, flash to stock in less than 2 min, ECU/TCM tune is less than their ECU tune, all the extras are free. 24/7 support. Exhaust smells like crap with GDE's supertune and smokes like a chimney (SFT Stage 2 does none of that).

·
Banned
48 Posts
Agree.100% and as a combat Vet I will say advertising as 'Veteran Owned' is more than sufficient. Most of us NEVER talk about it...some things a man must take to his grave. If however, he is an authentic CV...seems odd to market oneself using an experience of such tragedy to so many civilians.

It is the guys running around telling war stories or claiming combat service that typically are in the 'Stolen Valor' crowd.....IDK...just MO...

OP...GDE w/o question...and for transparency it is my understanding they are a sponsor of this site.
Funny you should mention that stolen valor. Digg hard enough and you'll find the owner of SFT on Fox news "War Stories with Ollie North". Explaining some of the combat experiences. I really don't get this. MOST civilians claim to enjoy the ease knowing it's a Vet...most Vets (especially those who never saw war) think this is a gimmick or funny? Not sure why.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Yeah, everyone knows from my tag what my status is. But it's there because its what the kids call me. The stolen valor thing bugs me, but what bugs me more is the whole attempt at what may be affinity fraud. "Hey, you can trust me because I'm a vet just like you." Riiiiiight. We see this junk a lot in Utah, but mostly through church.

I'll go with GDE after the AEM dust has settled and their engineers have figured out what the new tune needs.

I don't mean to imply that this fella isn't honest, I just happen to live in a place where because of the nearly weekly burns we hear about when someone says, "I'm like you, trust me," everyone tends to run away first and ask questions later.
Seriously NEVER the intent "trust me I'm like you" bleeeh...that's BS. The Tunes speak for themselves, look around plenty compared. We already proved GDE lied about the "stealing tunes" BS. You ever question how suddenly SFT CAN actually tune via OBD2? Why the other monopolies aka companies aren't? Done the challenge, gave away free tunes to those with GDE to prove how different they are. Too easy and the truth always comes out.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Sft not only steals valor but uses others companies tunes to create theres I would absolutely avoid them.
Must be another GDE "whistle" blower lol. You know they lied and SFT proved it wrong by tuning GDE customers, for free. Night and day, they sold their GDE equiment, even made money off it. lol

As for stolen valor, research yourself, you might just show a little thanks for the sacrifice we've done (NOT AT ALL SAYING YOU SHOULD). But damn man, 14 years I've been at this and it's shit to hear "stolen valor" at all associated with us.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Same. Know your audience, and there's a place and time for everything.

As an Infantry vet I take his claims very seriously. Someone else posted his service history and claimed stolen valor. Not cool.
You should post a link to "Someone else posted his service history and claimed stolen valor" ...I need to see this. Since you're such a believer, be unbiased and research. You'll quickly learn the truth, promise.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Must be another GDE "whistle" blower lol. You know they lied and SFT proved it wrong by tuning GDE customers, for free. Night and day, they sold their GDE equiment, even made money off it. lol

As for stolen valor, research yourself, you might just show a little thanks for the sacrifice we've done (NOT AT ALL SAYING YOU SHOULD). But damn man, 14 years I've been at this and it's shit to hear "stolen valor" at all associated with us.
Sft has not proven anything yet but keep trying.

·
Vendor
1,129 Posts
We are VERY much Combat owned and operated. Do your research and DO NOT lie. Thank you. Personally 14 years AD, 11 years in the sand box on/off. More #*#$(*& than anyone should be exposed to. But I'm happy people can share opinions like you just did. That's why I do what I do. Right or wrong, you CAN speak your mind. Thanks for letting me serve.

As for the FCA engineers claim? The other company hasn't heard of Winols. You know, the software Bosch used to write the EDC17C79. Boggles my mind. Especially when I see the other company's simple logic, "do not open/do not inject/do not regen/do not throw CEL if disconnected". Whereas at SFT we ACTUALLY go deep into the ECU and delete 8-bit data relevant to what's being deleted.

First people accused SFT of "stealing GDE tuning" because GDE started that rumor. It's been proven 100+ times over now that WAS A Lthe applicationIE. As for the other stuff..."stay tuned". Open your mind and recognize something great when you see it. Sure, be skeptical, "Trust but verify", right? Just don't believe what you "think" without a shred of evidence or even supporting documentation.
Jimmy, are you constantly lying about GDE and our experience? WinOLS is a software tool to look at code. Bosch does not use WinOLS to write their software for the OEMs. That is funny. Bosch developed their software internally and sells it to other companies like FCA, GM and Ford, etc. We use several tools when developing tuning for the applications we work on. INCA is still our favorite. Map3D is very similar to WinOLS, heck you can even use notepad++. The software tools are technically irrelevant, it is how you set the maps that makes a difference. We prefer to test our changes in the lab with proper test equipment to verify cylinder pressure, temps, soot, and fuel economy. We also take trips to Davis Dam and Eisenhower pass to trailer testing using same criteria as the engineers for FCA. Cold weather testing is completed in Canada.

I find it difficult to understand how you can come up with such a great tune without any form of lab testing, equipment or data. Peak firing pressure is the most important limiting factor on this engine, when does this occur on your tune and what if the value? Without this type of information, it seems shady.

·
Registered
35 Posts
“software engineers or the new kid on the block that think's it's cool to put the F bomb in his company's url”

I was thinking the same thing. As a service member I understand the dark sense of humor and vulgarity of the veteran community (and participate in it heavily), However, it’s a business and not a bar, and seemed very unprofessional. Nevertheless I was curious as to what people have experienced with them. After reading these, I wholeheartedly intend to go with GDE after all of the reviews I’ve read, and as mentioned, I’d pay the extra money for good service.

Dave
Have you actually seen the reviews? Compared? We've tuned people who had GDE. They sold their GDE ECU/TCM device for SFT. Easy OBD2, flash to stock in less than 2 min, ECU/TCM tune is less than their ECU tune, all the extras are free. 24/7 support. Exhaust smells like crap with GDE's supertune and smokes like a chimney (SFT Stage 2 does none of that).
My GDE off road tuned truck with 218,000 miles is deleted and has never smoked.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
There is much information to be gained by reading these verbal confrontations. Makes it valuable for forum members, in my opinion. Getting a clean-running, reliable and hassle-free experience with the Ecodiesel seems to involve some kind of tune. So far GDE has been offering and supporting that. Consumers can benefit from this dialogue and maybe make decisions from reading this.

Keep it positive and civil. We may all be the better for it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I tuned mine Dec of 2017 with GDE hot tune. Been in Canada had few Canadian cheaper options too. But went with the reputation and experience of GDE with VM diesel. Not saying others aren't good. But after spending 56k on the truck didn't make sense to save few hundred dollars and experiment anything. Great tune.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
My GDE off road tuned truck with 218,000 miles is deleted and has never smoked.
I think Jimmy was referencing GDE's 'Super Tune' which they don't advertise and likely rarely sell. Not sure why he would reference it, but okay.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is the first review I’ve read comparing GDE and SFT tunes. Screenshot taken from Facebook Ecodiesel Performance Group, I cropped the screenshot to exclude identifying info of OP.

970D4818-7DCC-410D-B035-0C084CD9CC2C.jpeg

21 - 40 of 66 Posts