RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was just nuts. If it could go wrong with my truck it went wrong, at least it felt that way.

The day starts out with getting into the truck and it tells me I need to have the shifter serviced. Every 5 minutes, for the rest of the day the truck would chime and give me the message to service shifter. That alone would drive you nuts, but it doesn't stop there. Next the truck tells me I need to have the trucks emergency phone serviced and then proceeds to inform me of that not every 5 minutes but every 10-15. Then more to come, the park sensors decide to go crazy. Every time I hit the brakes to come to a stop the front sensors would go off then stop and tell me they need service. The back sensors would go off as though something was behind me every time is put the truck into reverse.

So I call a dealer to get the truck in to get the service that it is desperately requiring. Unfortunately they cannot get the truck in until next Friday the 27th. So they tell me that it will survive until then, so I set the appointment.

So the day continues and so do the trucks ailments. All of a sudden I get the check engine light flashing at me. I have an ODB connector and the torque app so I connect that to get the error code. The sensor for the cat and exhaust temps went bad. Call the dealer and they say that they will see if they can get me in sooner because I should not continue to drive the truck out of risk to plugging the DPF! They tell me it is ok to drive home, but keep my miles to a minimum until they can get me in.

To finish the day out I get in the truck ready to head home and the Bluetooth on the truck quits working. It started dialing people at random. Connecting and disconnecting from the phone. So I pull over and turn off the truck and restart it thinking it would reset the Bluetooth. Turn the truck on and it no longer shows a ram in radio display but is shows a giant SRT. Now the navigation doesn't work, the satellite radio quit working and all the controls for my heated seats and climate control are gone.

I a afraid to go anywhere near my truck tomorrow out of fear of it exploding!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sounds possessed. I sense a major computer malfunction. Hope the dealer has a loaner for you. :(

I had a car go wonky like that once and the dealer simply reloaded the car's software. Never had the problem again. Let's hope that works for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds possessed. I sense a major computer malfunction. Hope the dealer has a loaner for you. :(

I had a car go wonky like that once and the dealer simply reloaded the car's software. Never had the problem again. Let's hope that works for you.
Keeping my fingers crossed. I have left messages with three ram dealers to see who can get me in first.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Sounds like someone in China didn't quite assemble your computer properly! Sounds like what bigfoot said, a whole new software package or maybe even computer!

·
Registered
940 Posts
No Cntr/Alt/Delete? All I want to know is the exact sequence of things you did before all this happened. But seriously, I'd try a disconnect at the battery terminal. Let it sit off for a couple of minutes and see what happens when it comes back up. Can't hurt.

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
556 Posts
You mentioned that you have an ODB connector and Torque App. Were these connected when the problems started? Reason I ask - a poster on another board mentioned something similiar (RE: ODB connector). When he disconnected it, his electronics returned to normal - for everything. It was the connector he was using I believe - and not the application that was running - probably a short that was causing his electronics to go nuts.

Worth a shot anyway.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
What's really crazy is NONE of those problems could have happened just a few years ago. Here's a case where you engine, transmission and running gear is all in good shape. Those darn computer things are doing you wrong.

What a shame we have to endure all that stuff when a basic engine, transmission power train is all you really need to get from A to B.

Good luck with the thing. it can happen to most every vehicle made and operated today. I won't be around but say in 20 years will any of this stuff still be working and how ill a garage ever restore this stuff to a classic operating condition?

Where's my 1954 Plymouth convertible today?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Some say the last good car made was in the 50s. Modern vehicles are made to be recycled.

I missed the part about the ODB. That add-on could well be the problem.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's the first case of Ram ED early onset alzheimer's. I hope they provide a rental until it's fixed. It could almost be anything. A new computer, honked up data communication buss, or a systemic problem like poorly regulated power supply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So today was just nuts. If it could go wrong with my truck it went wrong, at least it felt that way.

The day starts out with getting into the truck and it tells me I need to have the shifter serviced. Every 5 minutes, for the rest of the day the truck would chime and give me the message to service shifter. That alone would drive you nuts, but it doesn't stop there. Next the truck tells me I need to have the trucks emergency phone serviced and then proceeds to inform me of that not every 5 minutes but every 10-15. Then more to come, the park sensors decide to go crazy. Every time I hit the brakes to come to a stop the front sensors would go off then stop and tell me they need service. The back sensors would go off as though something was behind me every time is put the truck into reverse.

So I call a dealer to get the truck in to get the service that it is desperately requiring. Unfortunately they cannot get the truck in until next Friday the 27th. So they tell me that it will survive until then, so I set the appointment.

So the day continues and so do the trucks ailments. All of a sudden I get the check engine light flashing at me. I have an ODB connector and the torque app so I connect that to get the error code. The sensor for the cat and exhaust temps went bad. Call the dealer and they say that they will see if they can get me in sooner because I should not continue to drive the truck out of risk to plugging the DPF! They tell me it is ok to drive home, but keep my miles to a minimum until they can get me in.

To finish the day out I get in the truck ready to head home and the Bluetooth on the truck quits working. It started dialing people at random. Connecting and disconnecting from the phone. So I pull over and turn off the truck and restart it thinking it would reset the Bluetooth. Turn the truck on and it no longer shows a ram in radio display but is shows a giant SRT. Now the navigation doesn't work, the satellite radio quit working and all the controls for my heated seats and climate control are gone.

I a afraid to go anywhere near my truck tomorrow out of fear of it exploding!!!!!
I would put money on the bet that its a simple electrical connection somewhere like a bad ground. I have see this happen before. All that stuff cannot possibly be going wrong. You will probably still need to take it into service, but crawl around that engine compartment a bit an look for a bad ground wire, and check your battery connections.

In the old days, if the the battery was poor, or a terminal connection was bad, it just caused you starting problem. Today however, if you have a bad connection anywhere, or a bad cell in the battery, it can disrupt the smooth sin wave of the current. Computers and electronics, cannot take dirty current. They do exactly what you describe. I once even saw all my gauges on my dash jump around and then go hard over in different directions. The car started and ran fine otherwise. I finally found that there was a single cell in the battery (tested with hydrometer) that was bad. I replaced the battery, and all was well.

I bet you have a lose ground wire somewhere, and the current is jumping all over the place and basically causing epilepsy in your truck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What's really crazy is NONE of those problems could have happened just a few years ago. Here's a case where you engine, transmission and running gear is all in good shape. Those darn computer things are doing you wrong.

What a shame we have to endure all that stuff when a basic engine, transmission power train is all you really need to get from A to B.

Good luck with the thing. it can happen to most every vehicle made and operated today. I won't be around but say in 20 years will any of this stuff still be working and how ill a garage ever restore this stuff to a classic operating condition?

Captain, I really enjoy your post and I know there is a great bit of sarcasm add but with out all these fancy computers and gizmos we wouldn't be getting 30mpg with 420ft torque. the main reason I buy anything new is the advance technology incorporated in them. If the Ram didn't have so much great advancements I would have kept my old Duramax that was perfectly fine or even a new Chevy with their lack of technology. I want touch screens, and automatic everything, hell if it would make me a cup of coffee and do a few other things I wouldn't need my wife.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ODB has been used in the past with no problems. So I don't believe that it is related to that. I think a loose ground might be the case. Nothing really out of the ordinary except a large amount of rain the day before. The problems occurred and ran in the order of the original post.
I am hoping they will give me a rental for the truck, but my issue is I use my truck for work. I am an in home dog trainer and I use my truck with the cap to haul my dogs with me. My dogs are an important part of what I do and an intricate part of my training. I don't think they will get me truck with a cap and most, if not all, rental cars will not allow dogs inside the vehicle. We'll see how this plays out over the next few days.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The ODB has been used in the past with no problems. So I don't believe that it is related to that. I think a loose ground might be the case. Nothing really out of the ordinary except a large amount of rain the day before. The problems occurred and ran in the order of the original post.
I am hoping they will give me a rental for the truck, but my issue is I use my truck for work. I am an in home dog trainer and I use my truck with the cap to haul my dogs with me. My dogs are an important part of what I do and an intricate part of my training. I don't think they will get me truck with a cap and most, if not all, rental cars will not allow dogs inside the vehicle. We'll see how this plays out over the next few days.
Let us know please.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Did you have any aftermarket accessories installed that required them to have power. One guy lost his "body computer" when a shop wired in folding side steps. Fried the computer somehow. Lots still worked on the truck, but he lost subsystems.
That's right it blew out his bcm (body control modual)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Let us know please.
2nd that. From what I understand, it is easy to check. Just take the ODB off, and see if the problems go away. I agree that ODB's work - but it is plugging into your electrical system - and the short could be in the device (as was the case in another similiar situation - will see if I can find the post).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ODB was only plugged in for a short period after I received the cel. There is nothing aftermarket installed on the truck. I will keep you all posted on what the dealer finds. I have been able to get an appointment set for Monday.

·
Registered
505 Posts

My first pickup was a 1949 Chevy, inline 6, four on the floor with a super low granny gear, vacuum wipers. I paid $125 for it in 1971. I loved it for its simplicity. That truck and this new ED of mine are light years apart. But I love all the bells and whistles. Too bad it didn't cost $125.

When technology runs amok it sure comes up with some wild symptoms. I know it's a PITA but the dealership will sort it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very annoying. Just called the dealer to make sure I could get a rental if the truck was in for more than a day. They told me that ram doesn't cover a rental vehicle unless I payed for an extended warranty. The service manager said he would do whatever he could do to help me out but if find it hard to believe that I pay 50k for a vehicle and something goes wrong with it within the first three months and they don't help with that. At least I won't have to pay for anything on the truck itself!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got off the phone with Ram customer care and they are going to make sure the dealer gives me a free rental while the truck is getting fixed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts