RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am by no means a mechanic and purchasing a 2014 ecodiesel probably confused me more than I ever have been with a truck/car. I cant seem to figure out what went on with my truck, but after speaking with a mechanic I may be on to something.

I would appreciate anybody that can give their input,

warning: very long post to show facts and findings:

I bought the 3.0 v6 2014 ecodiesel in May 2020 with 94,000 M. Truck was a beauty and my first diesel ever and it has been a great experience....until now!

I bought it deleted and to my understanding its a GDE delete which I guess is considered a partial delete.

Back in January of 2022 I was driving back from a trip to mexico when about halfway I stepped on the pedal to pass a car and my electronic throttle system light turned on and pushed the truck into limp mode. I drove it for about an hour in limp mode to El Paso, and was stuck for about 2 days. I eventually found a mobile diesel mechanic who was able to quickly diagnose it. Turns out it was the map/boost sensor that was full of soot. he cleaned it with brake fluid, and the truck started running again. During my 5 hour trip back from el paso to albuquerque, NM I noticed the truck kinda sound a bit more forced, but didnt think much of it, until I started noticing my mpg dropped on the screen. went from 19.8 to about 16.7 or so. I made it back and the truck was fine. In march the same thing happened to me, truck went into limp mode. I figured it was the same issue but thought maybe the sensor just needed replacing so I bought a brand new map sensor, installed it and had oreilys reset it. Truck ran fine for about 1 hour until I stepped on it it went back into limp mode. After doing youtube resarch I came to the conclusion that the egr cooler line may be clogged. I took it off and sure enough it was FULL OF SOOT! I thought I was a genius! I cleaned it out, put it back on and drove to oreilys to reset it. It still gave me the same problem after stepping on the pedal.

I decided to take it to a mechanic and after looking at it the mechanic diagnosed that it was my cool and hot intake lines that were leaking or something like that, which is why it was throwing it into limp mode. We ordered new intercooler kit and the problem had seemed to be fixed. this was in about march or may

Fast forward to June the dodge agency calls me and tells me they finally are ready for my truck so they can do the EGR recall. I took it in, told them it was deleted and if they were going to flash it? They said taking off the EGR shouldn't have anything to do with it. took the agency about 1 day to fix I got it back and within about a week I started noticing that everytime I turned my truck on it would BLOW and I mean Blow white smoke. It was like a cloud of smoke for about 20 seconds and then would disappear. I didn't think anything of it until It happened so frequently that I couldnt help but feel embarassed everytime I turned it on. Keep in mind it smelt super sweet. I took it back to the agency and they said it could be a craccked EGR cooler that sometimes they come defective and that they would replace it. They kept my truck for about a month as they said they were going to look into it to make sure it wasnt anything else. They determined my water pump had some coolant residue or something like that and thats possibly what was causing the white smoke sine the coolant would be leaking. They changed my water pump ($2k) and then said they changed the EGR cooler again. When I got the truck back I drove it for about 1-2 days!!!! After it went back to limp mode I decided to take it to the mechanic who had fixed the intercooler system, because he seemed to have known how to fix the problem before.

I took it in becuase it went onto limp mode and the check engine light came on which threw the error code of "fuel rail system" After leaving it with the mechanic for about a day he determined it was a bad head gasket. This was in Early August. It was supposed to be a 5 week job and ended up being 14 WEEKS!! Brings me back to todays date 11/21/2022. I got my truck back from him on or about 11/15/2022. I had the truck for 27 hours. Within those 27 hours I noticed they didnt recharge my AC, I heard a weird static noise when on the highway at high speeds which I figured maybe they left a fender loose and the air was making it ripple, and I got a check engine light on when I tried restarting it, so I took it to autozone and their error code was the power train system and the recommended fix was the water separator. they reset it and after that the check engine light didnt turn on anymore

I called the mechanic and told him all those three things and I said, "listen I'll run it another day to see if anything else pops up and I will take it to you tomorrow so you can fix those little details." Then the next day is when the truck broke down. I heard a knocking on the engine when I was on the freeway after driving it a total of about 40 miles in those 27 hours. I thought to myself " I'll check in on the guys at work and take it to the mechanic," Parked my truck, checked on the guys, came back, turned on the truck and the engine was still knocking. I put it in drive for about 10 seconds before it completely shut off on me again! I called the mechanic to tow me to his shop since Im under warranty. He called me back the same day saying that somebody was messing on me because there "seems" to be gas in my diesel engine. he said that check engine light of the water separator was the truck warning me of the change in temperrature. I track my miles through an app and I told him I was never near a gas station and didnt even drive the truck anywhere where it was left unattended for a long time. he said they replaced the fuel filter before giving me the truck back and when he went to take it off it smelt a lot like gas. I said I highly doubt anybody is looking to do me wrong and that I literally had my truck back for a day and he had it three months. He said whatever it was caused my piston to most likely melt and damage the engine but that we dont know until I give him permission to look at it. By this time I am frustrated so told him to not touch it but to please pull a fuel sample for me. I was standing there when he disconnected the fuel line and poured a full mason jar of a yellowy/green substance. Looks like diesel but to be fair it does have a hint of gas. Anyway I am currently waiting on lab results to determine what exactly this liquid is. Guys I paid $6k for this head gasket repair which doesnt even seem to have been the right fix. After getting a hold of another diesel mechanic who really seems to know his stuff he said that based on the video I sent him he said it sounds like the knocking is either a rod or a failed piston. And he said that even if somebody put gas into my engine that these newer diesels wouldnt mess up like that, but instead they would probably knock a bit and smoke a bit and the fuel system would completely burn up and quit running. Which I guess in hindsight is what happened, but I am not convinced that there is gas in my diesel tank. brings me back to todays convo with this new mechanic it gave me some huge guidance and I am reaching out to you guys to hear some feedback. I have two hunches, maybe 3

1. the agency flashed my system after installing the EGR recall therefore resetting my tune which could have activated the EGR again since I have the DGE delete and its only a partial delete, but doesnt remove the EGR part.
2. the mechanic who fixed my head gasket probably didnt fix the correct issue in the first place
3. just bad luck and somebody tampered with my truck?

I still dont know if a piston blew or maybe fuel lines are shot because I don't want the mechanic touching the truck until I get my fuel sample back and determine if there is any gas there and whether I am going after his insurance or using mine if somebody vandalized it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for reading this long post

Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
Sounds like the mechanic that performed the head gasket repair is squirming out of his warranty by claiming gas in the diesel.
Also, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Registered
Just a small educational thing: Depending on your tune, the EGR may be turned off. However, AFAIK there is no tune that eliminates the EGR cooler from the equation. You would have to physically remove it and block off the coolant passages. There are kits.

OTOH, EGR coolers have been known to fail and contaminate the vehicle's oil. That will also kill an engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the mechanic that performed the head gasket repair is squirming out of his warranty by claiming gas in the diesel.
Also, too many cooks spoil the broth.
Agree I don鈥檛 want to take it to a third mechanic but I don鈥檛 know if I trust the second mechanic. It seems to me that if a piston failed or the fuel system is contaminated the whole engine would be toast.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a small educational thing: Depending on your tune, the EGR may be turned off. However, AFAIK there is no tune that eliminates the EGR cooler from the equation. You would have to physically remove it and block off the coolant passages. There are kits.

OTOH, EGR coolers have been known to fail and contaminate the vehicle's oil. That will also kill an engine.
Thank you! So are you saying that if agency reflashed the truck that this wouldn鈥檛 have messed up the truck or anything like that? Is it more than likely a bad head gasket job?

Registered
I would suggest a small investment in a code reader. Even if you don't plan to do the repairs yourself, it will give you a general idea of where the problems are. A little knowledge is a lot of power- I hate to see someone getting fleeced.

These trucks are not simple, and it does take a competent mechanic to fix them. Engine knock is never good- before doing anything else, I would check the oil filter for metal shavings (indicates spun rod or main bearings). If you find shavings, then there is a good chance you'll need an engine, or a rebuild if your current engine is salvageable.

Hopefully someone on the board lives in your area and can recommend a good mechanic?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest a small investment in a code reader. Even if you don't plan to do the repairs yourself, it will give you a general idea of where the problems are. A little knowledge is a lot of power- I hate to see someone getting fleeced.

These trucks are not simple, and it does take a competent mechanic to fix them. Engine knock is never good- before doing anything else, I would check the oil filter for metal shavings (indicates spun rod or main bearings). If you find shavings, then there is a good chance you'll need an engine, or a rebuild if your current engine is salvageable.

Hopefully someone on the board lives in your area and can recommend a good mechanic?
thanks man! you are correct I should buy a scanner. For reference here are the links to the 3 videos I recorded of the truck:

on one was me cold starting it at 7am and you can see its blowing more white smoke than what you would think even for a cold start

the other one is when the knock first started while i was driving

the other one is when it got worse and right before it shut off on me

Registered
With that amount of smoke, i'm starting to think bad injector (which could be caused by contaminated fuel). I would still verify by checking the oil filter before going any further.

If that checks out, then I'd pull all the codes (active and pending) and start looking at fuel system back to front.

AlphaOBD is an invaluable app which will allow deep diagnostics on all the vehicle control systems (including the ECM). For $50 (+ the cost of a OBD Bluetooth connector), it is well worth the expense and a little effort to learn how to use. Again, you may not end up doing the repairs yourself, but at least you can be educated when you take it in. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH my, the first one with white smoke is bad, the second one with the knock is just waiting to grenade, I hope I'm wrong for your sake and wallet.
and thats after the new head gasket is installed. If vandalism, my insurance will cover it, if not fixed right, its gotta land on the mechanic I assume. thank you for your input sir!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With that amount of smoke, i'm starting to think bad injector (which could be caused by contaminated fuel). I would still verify by checking the oil filter before going any further.

If that checks out, then I'd pull all the codes (active and pending) and start looking at fuel system back to front.

AlphaOBD is an invaluable app which will allow deep diagnostics on all the vehicle control systems (including the ECM). For $50 (+ the cost of a OBD Bluetooth connector), it is well worth the expense and a little effort to learn how to use. Again, you may not end up doing the repairs yourself, but at least you can be educated when you take it in. Good luck!
man I hope nobody messed with my stuff, the odds are just so low. I had it for one day and I didnt leave it unattended. They had it for 3 months!!! Ok I will call mechanic and ask him to check oil filter. thank you for the heads up on the alfaOBD! I will order that right now. Thanks for your input im really leaning on people who know way more about these trucks than I do

Registered
Thank you! So are you saying that if agency reflashed the truck that this wouldn鈥檛 have messed up the truck or anything like that? Is it more than likely a bad head gasket job?
NO!!! I said no such thing. You can turn off the EGR with a tune because it is an electric "gate" that is controlled electronically. The EGR cooler is NOT controlled electronically and coolant flows through it with no way to control it electronically. Therefore it would have to be removed/blocked off to "turn it off."

I can't answer your questions about the reflash or head gasket.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NO!!! I said no such thing. You can turn off the EGR with a tune because it is an electric "gate" that is controlled electronically. The EGR cooler is NOT controlled electronically and coolant flows through it with no way to control it electronically. Therefore it would have to be removed/blocked off to "turn it off."

I can't answer your questions about the reflash or head gasket.
You鈥檙e confusing me because if you鈥檙e saying a tune can turn off an EGR because it鈥檚 a 鈥済ate鈥. So that鈥檚 why I鈥檓 saying is it a possibility that because I had a tune on it and myEGR was not removed but 鈥渢urned off鈥 is it a possibility that my tune was then overwritten if the agency decided to flash the computer back to factory specs, which would have then essentially overwritten my tune and then 鈥渢urned on鈥 my EGR then maybe leading to something else like a coolant leak or coolant going somewhere it wasn鈥檛 therefore maybe causing the head gasket issue or something. Am I making sense?

Registered
You鈥檙e confusing me because if you鈥檙e saying a tune can turn off an EGR because it鈥檚 a 鈥済ate鈥. So that鈥檚 why I鈥檓 saying is it a possibility that because I had a tune on it and myEGR was not removed but 鈥渢urned off鈥 is it a possibility that my tune was then overwritten if the agency decided to flash the computer back to factory specs, which would have then essentially overwritten my tune and then 鈥渢urned on鈥 my EGR then maybe leading to something else like a coolant leak or coolant going somewhere it wasn鈥檛 therefore maybe causing the head gasket issue or something. Am I making sense?
Yes, it's entirely possible if not highly likely that the dealership reflashed your truck which would effectively eliminate your tune if it was a MOPAR dealership. If that's the case, then your truck is no longer tuned. However, it would have nothing to do with the EGR cooler unless your truck is fully "deleted." Were it fully deleted, there would be multiple check engine codes popping up. So I don't think we have to worry about that. If this scenario is what is happening, then the most horrible thing that is happening is that your truck is now breathing soot from the exhaust. That's how "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" works.

Now, as for that causing a coolant leak? It's ALMOST like saying that the kitchen faucet leaks when you turn on the lights. Highly unlikely. BUT! The EGR cooler does circulate engine coolant "through" the EGR because it gets very hot since it is exhaust gases. So if your EGR has physically cracked or something, it's possible that the leak is there. It's much more likely that the EGR cooler failed than the EGR itself.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it's entirely possible if not highly likely that the dealership reflashed your truck which would effectively eliminate your tune if it was a MOPAR dealership. If that's the case, then your truck is no longer tuned. However, it would have nothing to do with the EGR cooler unless your truck is fully "deleted." Were it fully deleted, there would be multiple check engine codes popping up. So I don't think we have to worry about that. If this scenario is what is happening, then the most horrible thing that is happening is that your truck is now breathing soot from the exhaust. That's how "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" works.

Now, as for that causing a coolant leak? It's ALMOST like saying that the kitchen faucet leaks when you turn on the lights. Highly unlikely. BUT! The EGR cooler does circulate engine coolant "through" the EGR because it gets very hot since it is exhaust gases. So if your EGR has physically cracked or something, it's possible that the leak is there. It's much more likely that the EGR cooler failed than the EGR itself.
That makes way more sense! Thank you for breaking it down for me lol! I鈥檓 thinking if it gets fixed just taking out the EGR completely! Thank you sir!

Registered
That makes way more sense! Thank you for breaking it down for me lol! I鈥檓 thinking if it gets fixed just taking out the EGR completely! Thank you sir!
You're welcome. Now, if you remove the EGR and cooler you will DEFINITELY need a tune. And since the EPA crackdown, your only real option is to import that tune from somewhere other than the USA. The EOC/MRTuning seems to be the most popular. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DON'T SPEND A MFING PENNY WITH SOFA KING TUNED OR RECKLESS.

Registered
2018 SLT+ Crewcab Ecodiesel
Check to see if your coolant level in the tank going down. If it is then likely the EGR cooler is cracked and leaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts