RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Just a small educational thing: Depending on your tune, the EGR may be turned off. However, AFAIK there is no tune that eliminates the EGR cooler from the equation. You would have to physically remove it and block off the coolant passages. There are kits.

OTOH, EGR coolers have been known to fail and contaminate the vehicle's oil. That will also kill an engine.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Thank you! So are you saying that if agency reflashed the truck that this wouldn’t have messed up the truck or anything like that? Is it more than likely a bad head gasket job?
NO!!! I said no such thing. You can turn off the EGR with a tune because it is an electric "gate" that is controlled electronically. The EGR cooler is NOT controlled electronically and coolant flows through it with no way to control it electronically. Therefore it would have to be removed/blocked off to "turn it off."

I can't answer your questions about the reflash or head gasket.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
You’re confusing me because if you’re saying a tune can turn off an EGR because it’s a “gate”. So that’s why I’m saying is it a possibility that because I had a tune on it and myEGR was not removed but “turned off” is it a possibility that my tune was then overwritten if the agency decided to flash the computer back to factory specs, which would have then essentially overwritten my tune and then “turned on” my EGR then maybe leading to something else like a coolant leak or coolant going somewhere it wasn’t therefore maybe causing the head gasket issue or something. Am I making sense?
Yes, it's entirely possible if not highly likely that the dealership reflashed your truck which would effectively eliminate your tune if it was a MOPAR dealership. If that's the case, then your truck is no longer tuned. However, it would have nothing to do with the EGR cooler unless your truck is fully "deleted." Were it fully deleted, there would be multiple check engine codes popping up. So I don't think we have to worry about that. If this scenario is what is happening, then the most horrible thing that is happening is that your truck is now breathing soot from the exhaust. That's how "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" works.

Now, as for that causing a coolant leak? It's ALMOST like saying that the kitchen faucet leaks when you turn on the lights. Highly unlikely. BUT! The EGR cooler does circulate engine coolant "through" the EGR because it gets very hot since it is exhaust gases. So if your EGR has physically cracked or something, it's possible that the leak is there. It's much more likely that the EGR cooler failed than the EGR itself.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
That makes way more sense! Thank you for breaking it down for me lol! I’m thinking if it gets fixed just taking out the EGR completely! Thank you sir!
You're welcome. Now, if you remove the EGR and cooler you will DEFINITELY need a tune. And since the EPA crackdown, your only real option is to import that tune from somewhere other than the USA. The EOC/MRTuning seems to be the most popular. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DON'T SPEND A MFING PENNY WITH SOFA KING TUNED OR RECKLESS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts