RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my paperwork in the mail for my extended warranty and my Service Oil changes. Apparently, they use Rotella T6 Full Synthetic in the Eco Dee. I got a page that said go sign up and I have 6300 and some miles already for my extended warranty with this program once I register. They give you 60 days from time of purchase to go register and enter your info to get your "reward miles".

https://www.mymilesmatter.com/

You also can get point anytime you buy products by entering the 12 digit code on found on the cap of the bottle or the receipt.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's great new's that there is an affordable oil that can be put in the eco, I didn't think the rotella was rated for our motor ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great to hear! The Rotella is much easier to get around here and cheaper... thanks for sharing.

I checked the Rotella website and they don't list the spec the required for the ED but they do say it's low ash and safe for DEF systems... here a quote for their website "Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies." If the dealers are putting it in, it must meet the requirements for warranty, no?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
That's great new's that there is an affordable oil that can be put in the eco, I didn't think the rotella was rated for our motor ?
I went to the Shell site and looked up the Rotella T6 spec and data sheet. I don't think it meets the requirements for the Ecodiesel. It is a 5w40 not a 5w30 as required. Additionally, it doesn't list the Chrysler spec MS11106 nor the similar, but not equal, Mercedes 229.51 spec. I also do not think it is truly a low SAPS oil. I think it is what is called a mid SAPS oil. It says reduced SAPS but not low SAPS. You can see its data sheet at http://s02.static-shell.com/content...rotella/downloads/pdf/rotella-t6-brochure.pdf

The Owners manual disc diesel supplement says exactly the following reference engine oil specification. Only use ACEA C3 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.

The recommended "Pennzoil Ultra Euro L SAE 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications: ACEA A3/B3/B4, ACEA C2 & C3,BMW LL-04, MB approval 229.51, VW 504 00/507 00, Chrysler MS-11106"

As time goes by we will have more alternatives for oil and the oil filter.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There's discussion at bitog re. Rotella T5 and T6. Based on keeping tabs on those discussions, T5 and T6 look like a good fit. Bitog=bobistheoilguy.com

Re. xW30 vs. xW40. That's a non-issue. American market cars always have thin oils speced because of CAFE standards. I'd go a grade thicker on all Summer oil choices. Besides, our oil gets pretty hot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just called the local dodge dealer where I'll get my oil changes done and he wan't sure of the brand but he did say it was a specific oil type for the Eco Diesel, dah…..I'll drop by there one day next week and see what they put in these. Seems weird they would partner with Shell for the service program and not use Shell oil? I'll try and scan the letter I got tomorrow and post it up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Napa sells Lubro molly 5w30 with the acea c3 specs part number LM2039 for the 5liter jugs and part number LM2038 for the 1liter bottles

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
There's discussion at bitog re. Rotella T5 and T6. Based on keeping tabs on those discussions, T5 and T6 look like a good fit. Bitog=bobistheoilguy.com

Re. xW30 vs. xW40. That's a non-issue. American market cars always have thin oils speced because of CAFE standards. I'd go a grade thicker on all Summer oil choices. Besides, our oil gets pretty hot.
Yes I have been through all those posts and see a lot of opinions. I am sure that Rotella is a very fine oil from a lubrication point of view. I also agree that in the 'old days' heavier (greater viscosity) was almost always better when the engine was hot. Things are somewhat different nowadays with much smaller tolerances and the days of old soft bearings are gone and the stability of modern synthetics is also different. Anyhow, what I didn't see in Bobs is a reason why the Rotella T5 or T6 is better than the Pennzoil Euro L or Mobil ESP 5w-30s other than cost and personal preference.

For now, I will stick with the Chrysler/Fiats engineers recommendations and use the Mobil 1 or Pennzoil. What I see in Bobs is that people that seem knowledgeable believe the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 has better specs than the Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 so I will look for that here.

All the best,

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes I have been through all those posts and see a lot of opinions. I am sure that Rotella is a very fine oil from a lubrication point of view. I also agree that in the 'old days' heavier (greater viscosity) was almost always better when the engine was hot. Things are somewhat different nowadays with much smaller tolerances and the days of old soft bearings are gone and the stability of modern synthetics is also different. Anyhow, what I didn't see in Bobs is a reason why the Rotella T5 or T6 is better than the Pennzoil Euro L or Mobil ESP 5w-30s other than cost and personal preference.

For now, I will stick with the Chrysler/Fiats engineers recommendations and use the Mobil 1 or Pennzoil. What I see in Bobs is that people that seem knowledgeable believe the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 has better specs than the Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 so I will look for that here.
I didn't say Rotella T5 or T6 were better. They are certainly cheaper tho. If some consensus emerges that their SAP content is low enough, a person would save a bundle going with them. Inevitably "better" is going to be in the eye of the beholder. If an oil has better HTHS #'s, but worse SAPs #'s, does one call it better or worse? There is no right answer, it depends on the variables.

Yes, many modern engines have tighter bearing tolerances then older engines, and yes bearings now are often better. Teflon coated crank and rod bearings, for example. Oil technology is also pretty different now. We've lost anti-wear ingredients, but gained HTHS #'s.

The higher visc preference isn't about old school, it's about CAFE. US automakers are desperate for high fleet mpg averages so tend to spec oils a little on the light side. It's common for US mfr cars to spec thicker oils in overseas markets.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You do realize that Royal Dutch Shell owns Pennzoil? I think it is a non-issue as they are probably the same oil quality. IMHO Shell Rotella T6 will work just fine.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I don't think we have any basic disagreement. I will spend a bit of time and see if I can find anything online that says what oil the VM Motori engine requires in its European service. I agree with the Cafe comments you make ref economy. For the ECOdiesel everything has been done to save fuel by the teaspoonful. That said I believe they must have data to indicate that the 5w/30 synthetic has the necessary viscosity for this engine's design. I do note that it has very low oil pressure (22-23 psi at 55 mph in eighth gear, about 1350-1400 rpm, at a 206-210 deg F oil temp) compared to other engines I am familiar with. My boat has a pair of VOLVO D3 220 hp 5 cylinder inline diesels with a 4200 max RPM first available in 2010 so a reasonably modern design and they have much higher oil pressure. I presume they have designed the pumps on our engines to have enough oil pressure but not too much so as not to waste energy.

I do believe the higher viscosity is somewhat about old bearing design since clearances increased significantly over the life of the engine and as clearances went up oil leakage went up and higher viscosity leaked less and therefore helped the oil pressure stay up.

Ref the better issue, for myself, I will need a good reason to step outside the manufacturer's recommendation while the engine is in warranty. If there is a problem, I do not want to fight the battle of the significance of not following their requirements. A few bucks a quart isn't that reason yet.

All the best,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow! I'd like to see a picture of those two Volvo diesels. They make some very good diesels, but I had no idea they made marine diesels. Nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As long as you're meeting the ACEA C3, you should be good to go even if it doesn't meet the Chrysler standard.

Just an FYI, Havoline C3 Full Synthetic 5w-30 meets the ACEA C3 standards as well.
http://www.caltex.com.au/FPL PDS/Havoline Fully Synthetic C3 5W-30.pdf

Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 C3 also meets the ACEA C3 standard.
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5C3FD440F0844E5580257C70003D221B/$File/BPXE-9FWEZX.pdf

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As long as you're meeting the ACEA C3, you should be good to go even if it doesn't meet the Chrysler standard.

Just an FYI, Havoline C3 Full Synthetic 5w-30 meets the ACEA C3 standards as well.
http://www.caltex.com.au/FPL PDS/Havoline Fully Synthetic C3 5W-30.pdf

Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 C3 also meets the ACEA C3 standard.
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5C3FD440F0844E5580257C70003D221B/$File/BPXE-9FWEZX.pdf
Napa sells Lubro molly 5w30 with the acea c3 specs part number LM2039 for the 5liter jugs and part number LM2038 for the 1liter bottles
Only use ACEA C3 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil.

That's right from the owner's manual. No MS-11106, not the correct oil. Nothing vague about it.

Reactions: Top
1 - 16 of 16 Posts