RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you with the air suspension and height challenged people that ride in them (say 5'5 and under) - when it's the entry/exit mode, does that give enough room for them to get in/out without much fuss, or would you still recommend getting side steps or nerf bars?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback! Was going to order a set, but I think I'll hold off for just a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Truck looks better without them, they are useful though....makes the truck look higher

·
Registered
281 Posts
may be my settings, but the entry/exit mode doesn't activate quickly enough when i park to be of any use. after parked for a while & re-entering, the height has lowered but i would still find it a little awkward to get in & out without the steps.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
may be my settings, but the entry/exit mode doesn't activate quickly enough when i park to be of any use. after parked for a while & re-entering, the height has lowered but i would still find it a little awkward to get in & out without the steps.
Can't you hit the button while you are letting your turbo cool. Can't take a minute or 2 to go into park mode.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yea I think the entry exit park mode is a bit of a joke, far too slow to be constantly useful, right? I never realized how slow it was until I watched a extensive review here on the forum. Don't get why it takes so long just to dump air but I'm sure there's a reason.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have timed lowering at a hair over 15 s. If you are in a hurry and can't wait 15 s to let the engine cool down, make out with the wife, etc., then simply get in the habit of starting the cycle as you approach the parking spot. It works while the truck is in motion so long as the speed is low.

We don't like side steps because they are heavy, collect debris, and get in the way of a direct step up/down. On the plus side, they might make it easier for kids and for washing the front window. Go to a dealer and try them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
First-It doesn't dump air, it is a closed nitrogen charged system so it has to move niteogen across to maintain spring rate since there are no springs, just the bags.

Second-The system allows for lowering at low speed so unless you are drifting into your parking place you could be lowering on the move. If you push down when you are under 33 mph it will begin to lower once you drop below 15 mph. Should be plenty of time to select the lowering when stopping if you want to jump out right away, I don't usually jump out right after I park so I thought it lowered fine for me and it should minimize the wear of the side of the side from sliding out and make loading/unloading easier.

Page 451 and 461 of the owner's manual is air suspension information

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The system allows for lowering at low speed so unless you are drifting into your parking place you could be lowering on the move. If you push down when you are under 33 mph it will begin to lower once you drop below 15 mph.
And that right there just answered my next question!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found another great use for the entry/exit mode the other day when parking in San Francisco. Was worried about clearance issues in parking garage with a low ceiling. Put it in entry exit mode as I was pulling into the garage, and it stayed in that mode until I got back out on the street and above 15mph. The lower ride height made sure there was plenty of room between the roof and the ceiling pillars. All those scrape marks on the ceiling had me very nervous...

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can hit the entry/exit button while you are still moving so that by the time you park and shut the engine off, it has lowered all the way down. Just don't do it a mile in advance, hit the button while you are looking for a parking space and that should give it enough time to get down. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went a couple of weeks without steps and couldn't stand it. I got the 5 in. Raptor wheel to wheel for 6'4 bed now when washing the back window can be wiped off, just really nice even with air suspension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts