RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an 2015 Ram ED Laramie with 106K on it. The dealer is asking 22,900. Been doing a lot of reading before buying. Truck will sit often. I drive 55 miles to work one way so ill drive the car most days to keep miles off the truck as i put 42k on the car last year. Will be used as the family vehicle for camping and hunting and that sort of thing. Will haul small aluminum trailer and an ice castle when i buy one. My question is, is it worth it to buy a used ED. The fuel mileage is attractive and ive never owned a diesel but have wanted one. Sorry if this gets asked alot

·
Registered
198 Posts
Honestly if it's not going to get driven a lot I'd recommend a gas engine. The lower fuel mileage wouldn't be a big deal since it's not your daily driver.

Basically I'd trust a 100k mile Pentastar first, then a Hemi, then the Ecodiesel for 2015-2019 models.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking at buying an 2015 Ram ED Laramie with 106K on it. The dealer is asking 22,900. Been doing a lot of reading before buying. Truck will sit often. I drive 55 miles to work one way so ill drive the car most days to keep miles off the truck as i put 42k on the car last year. Will be used as the family vehicle for camping and hunting and that sort of thing. Will haul small aluminum trailer and an ice castle when i buy one. My question is, is it worth it to buy a used ED. The fuel mileage is attractive and ive never owned a diesel but have wanted one. Sorry if this gets asked alot
I have to agree, the fuel mileage is appealing, here in west Texas I spend about 55 dollars to fill my truck up from empty, and the hemi I spend about 40-45 to fill it up but go about half the distance..... if you’re doing cross country trips I’d highly recommend the ecodiesel.... don’t get a high mileage one though. Anything over 80,000 miles on these engines is a huge gamble, I bought mine with no where near the knowledge I have now at 96,000 miles, and I regret it everyday it sits at the shop and I have to drive this hemi they gave me as a rental.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,071 Posts
That is about when I would be long past trading in.

Go new, or near new, and go for the pentastar, make the payments.

I got the eco because we tow quite a bit, the extra range is huge for me at 14.5 mpg all loaded up. The other day, in 4x4 with winter fuel, drove 100 miles on the hwy, 30 mpg, I'll grant you they do get good mileage. At least half the miles on my 2017 are towing the Rv. Towing is good for these engines, they like to work. But at 43,xxx miles, we got a ways to go.

Without any history on the vehicle, and over 100,000 miles and no warranty, I would pass.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
At least, have them pull out the "diffuser tube"and have a look. if it's clean, it may have been tuned early on, Look at the service history as well. If it has been tuned for it's life and you said that you were going to drive it 42,000 miles every year as a daily driver, hmmm, maybe.Does your daily driver get 30 mpg? Mine has 102,000 mi and has been tuned almost since new, just deleted it, diffuser tube was still clean, no soot getting into motor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Search this forum for examples of ecodiesel problems

EGR

Tone Wheel-Reluctor Wheel

Main Bearings

Fuel Pump spewing metal into system

For the use you describe go gas, this particular truck is a ticking time bomb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts