RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

New Ecodiesel or Babypowerstroke or HEMI

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about fuel economy vs longevity. I do not have that much confidence with engines that have problems. I love my 2015 eco diesel Outdoorsman. black ext and tan mossy oak interior. It is the best of both worlds. but is it going to be good over time? I have been researching that a 5.7L HEMI is just a little cheaper if you don't tow a lot and just commute. Also, My Diesel mechanic says only get a Cummins. So do I get a new Eco Diesel? Do I get a new ram with 5.7 hemi? or do I maybe try the new Ford baby Powerstroke? I am not married to a brand just luxury, price and reliability.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I drove the F150 Powerstroke, worse mpgs than my 2017 hemi with 3:21's! My hemi averages about 23 mpgs, only got 21 mpg with the Ford. Of all the trucks that I've owned, I like my Ecodiesel the best. My brother, who drives a F250 Powerstroke, told me about a friend of his who had an EGR cooler fail on his Ecodiesel and FCA would not warrantee it. Should mine fail, I guess I'm removing and blocking it off. For you, I think you should try out a hemi with 3:21's and no E=Torque. My Ecodiesel has been trouble free for 44,000 miles, the hemi company truck has 73,000 trouble free miles. Both have been great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the 2500 had the four corner air suspension and rode like my 1500 Laramie Longhorn ED, I would jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Should be a fun poll. Guessing the Ecodiesel will win as this is an Ecodiesel forum.

What you select should be based on your priorities. If you tow, add a Cummins or the other "big boys" as a possible choice. Of course you will pay with lower fuel mileage, higher cost, expensive registration and dealing with a larger bulk of a vehicle. Add on the unknown like the GM 3.0 in-line diesel. Definitely something to consider if we had any kind of track record. Of course, there is NO track record for the 2020 Ecodiesel. Anyone know if it still uses that glued-on injector timing device?

To even consider a gas engine means you care little for the sound, feel and pace of a diesel during operation. No reasonable ability to hold extra fuel safety and hideous fuel mileage when towing with lower fuel mileage when not. Only thing is you do not have to be smart enough to learn of and move on tuning methods that allow modern diesels to be way more trouble-free. Lots of people are slow learners. The gassers work well for the masses.

Hope people participate in your poll.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,048 Posts
I say better to stick with the devil you know.

Just my take as a 2015 ecodiesel owner, but I don't think I could sell or trade mine without loosing a significant amount on it. The discounts to later models severely undercut the resale value of the earlier models. Mine is just over 68,000 miles and has been absolutely flawless (knock on wood) in every way and has been one of the absolute best vehicles I have ever owned. If I was to sell it, it would be due to the fear of what could be. I might drive it 300k miles and never have a problem and it might puke tomorrow.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,048 Posts
Should be a fun poll. Guessing the Ecodiesel will win as this is an Ecodiesel forum.

What you select should be based on your priorities. If you tow, add a Cummins or the other "big boys" as a possible choice. Of course you will pay with lower fuel mileage, higher cost, expensive registration and dealing with a larger bulk of a vehicle. Add on the unknown like the GM 3.0 in-line diesel. Definitely something to consider if we had any kind of track record. Of course, there is NO track record for the 2020 Ecodiesel. Anyone know if it still uses that glued-on injector timing device?

To even consider a gas engine means you care little for the sound, feel and pace of a diesel during operation. No reasonable ability to hold extra fuel safety and hideous fuel mileage when towing with lower fuel mileage when not. Only thing is you do not have to be smart enough to learn of and move on tuning methods that allow modern diesels to be way more trouble-free. Lots of people are slow learners. The gassers work well for the masses.

Hope people participate in your poll.
To be fair, it isn't like diesel powered vehicles are a gift from God. Diesel cost more than gas, Maintenance is more on diesels, much less chance of high dollar fuel system problems with gas etc. Also everything to do with fuel mileage is how you drive it, plenty of people with diesels get crap mileage too. Many on this forum barely eek out 20 mpg or a hair more.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
I can’t intelligently answer your question. You have not told us how you use your truck, what you use it for, what is most important to you, what you like the most. All of which suggests to me it’s just a commuter car to you but that you would rather be seen in a truck. In which case I would suggest the Pentastar but again I don’t know because you didn’t give us anything to base any sage advice on. Give us something to go on and I will vote in your poll.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Keep what you have for a while and see how the new Eco pans out. It may not be as perfect as we all hope - at least not day 1.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Diesel here in south Florida - $2.59 a gallon. Used to be cheaper than gas. Now about the same.

People who made their area what it is also made those huge taxes they pay. Hope those people do NOT move away from their hell hole, come to Florida and make it like what they left. If the cost of diesel is a major factor, buy a gasser. It would just be another example of making the bed you sleep in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live on the Oregon Coast - diesel today $ 2.49 a gallon - due to a diesel war in Lincoln City - hope it lasts !

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Since I bought my Ecodiesel, diesel at the pump has slowly come down very close to regular gas price. As my 2005 hemi was tuned for 93 octane and got 16 mpg on a good day, my Ecodiesel has saved me a lot of $$$. Still the first gen 5.7 hemis were easy to work on, I had headers, a hot race cam from Inertia, Vararam, then a 3000 rpm stall converter and transmission was tuned for drag racing. 6,000 lb Ram ran 14.2 seconds in the quarter mile. I do miss her sometimes! Also, it was super reliable for 276,000 miles. I still see it once in a while, new owner's other vehicle is a Hellcat. I would be a happy camper, if my Ecodiesel is as reliable!

Reactions: TwoBobs

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,344 Posts
Diesel here in south Florida - $2.59 a gallon. Used to be cheaper than gas. Now about the same.

People who made their area what it is also made those huge taxes they pay. Hope those people do NOT move away from their hell hole, come to Florida and make it like what they left. If the cost of diesel is a major factor, buy a gasser. It would just be another example of making the bed you sleep in.
Since we came back from our x-country trip down south, I was pleasantly surprised to see diesel cheaper than gasoline up here in Alaska. By a fair margin too, 20-30 cents less than gas difference. Today diesel is running about $2.889/gallon.

But historically gas is cheaper.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,048 Posts
Im a youngster at 33 compared to many, but in my driving history in Texas I remember as a child diesel was cheaper always, and then seems like about the time the diesel trucks started kicking off more say in the late 1990's diesel jumped up over regular. Since then I only recall 2 brief stints where diesel has been less than or same price as gas. Once in mid 2000's when we bought our first diesel and the second time was when I bought my ecodiesel in early 2016. I figured it was temporary and I feel like I was right. Today I found gas for 2.10 a gal without much trouble and the cheapest I can find diesel is $2.40.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Until the end of the month, FCA is throwing 2019 1500's out the door with 20% off MSRP for existing 1500s on dealer lots. Add that to a high volume Ram dealer's already substantial discount and the above decision is much easier for the cost conscious. One dealer quoted a 2019 Laramie Hemi 4x4 with $55k MSRP at $37k (not including taxes, license) for almost 33% savings off MSRP. Good luck getting anywhere close to that from Ford.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Until the end of the month, FCA is throwing 2019 1500's out the door with 20% off MSRP for existing 1500s on dealer lots. Add that to a high volume Ram dealer's already substantial discount and the above decision is much easier for the cost conscious. One dealer quoted a 2019 Laramie Hemi 4x4 with $55k MSRP at $37k (not including taxes, license) for almost 33% savings off MSRP. Good luck getting anywhere close to that from Ford.
I forgot to add that's the 2019 new body.

181 Posts
I guess it depends on what you really want to use it for. Do you tow a lot or do you just drive around. Even though the hemi has more power, I personally I would go with the eco diesel because it has good towing capabilities but overall good fuel economy and it's just a good all rounder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts