RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother inlaw just bought a 2010 Tundra (he had a 2003 Cummins and ruined it by pumping gas into it by mistake and never it ran the same afterwards. The fuel system was trashed and he bad mouths them because of his error). I want to take him out and show him my average MPG's 24.7 and preface it with I want to show you something that you will never see in that Tundra. I think that this could make for good Easter dinner conversation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My brother inlaw just bought a 2010 Tundra (he had a 2003 Cummins and ruined it by pumping gas into it by mistake and never it ran the same afterwards. The fuel system was trashed and he bad mouths them because of his error). I want to take him out and show him my average MPG's 24.7 and preface it with I want to show you something that you will never see in that Tundra. I think that this could make for good Easter dinner conversation.
Lmfao!!!

Wow that would really stir the pot. How the hell do you put gas in your own cummins diesel truck!?!?!?!? Jesus.

I think you should just show him your fuel mileage and see what his impressions are. He may come up with a hundred excuses that you can trash around. I guarantee you he will say that the digital readout is wrong. So maybe you should make a pre video for him....fill your truck full and drive 100 km. After the 100km, Refill your tank and see how much fuel you actually used and than show him that video. That will add salt to the wound. He's already going to be pissed about the interior quality. The Tundra is just a Camry on steroids.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I should have said that he did not pump the diesel, he was bullshitting with the gas attendant at the Kwik-fil and neither of them caught that they were putting gas into the truck. He thinks that Toyota is the best thing ever. My dad and I (we have had 9 diesels since 1990) are going to sit back and enjoy this one as my sister is a miser and she will be just complaining up a storm when they hook up their travel trailer (7000lbs) to this thing and can't pass a gas station.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You must do this! Wish I could be a fly on the wall at your house. Should be great!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Lmfao!!!

Wow that would really stir the pot. How the hell do you put gas in your own cummins diesel truck!?!?!?!? Jesus.

It happens more than you would think. I've heard that same story at least a dozen times... and I know my wife's dad did the same on a long trip across the USA, towing a 5th wheel with a Duramax. Lucky, he caught it before restarting the truck. They were able to drain the tank, and refill with diesel before any damage was done.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
I have a brother-in-law that's a doctor at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He buys Jap cars, has no sense of history and pride. Don't bother.

Only way you could impress him is with a hammer upside the head.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kwik-fil? That was his first mistake, those kinds of joints have crappy fuel as it is, I wouldn't buy gas for the lawn mower there, let alone fuel for a Cummins.

I’ve heard too many horror stories like this so I always check what I’m pumping.

Tundra? I wouldn’t say those are bad trucks, but they are getting dated and are thirsty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It happens more than you would think. I've heard that same story at least a dozen times... and I know my wife's dad did the same on a long trip across the USA, towing a 5th wheel with a Duramax. Lucky, he caught it before restarting the truck. They were able to drain the tank, and refill with diesel before any damage was done.
I knew a guy that pumped (filled it up) diesel into his Honda CBR 600 motorcycle.... top that one!!! :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we were outside looking at the trucks and when he said his truck has alot of power I said sure it does with that 4.30 rear end (got the deer in a head light look as he had no clue what I was talking about). This is why you are going to get 14mpg and when you hook into your camper you are going to get 6-8mpg (tons of hills around here). We were standing with a cousin and he has a 2012 hemi and he asked me what mine says the miles left on a tank full and I told him 560-570 something like that and he said holy shit as his hemi says 325 and I need one of these. Then I pointed out that it was reading that I had 335 left on the tank and that I have already gone 331 miles and I was not quite to half a tank left yet. They were in awe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
...He buys Jap cars, has no sense of history and pride. ....
Aren't you driving a truck with an Italian engine? Didn't we go to war with Italy?

Toyota Tundra has 75% of parts sourced from US/Canada. Ram has 70% US/Canada.

It's the new world economy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wish I could have been there for that. Love how he blames Ram for his troubles after HE puts gas in a diesel tank.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is amazing fuel range, economy, etc. I used to be able to squeeze right around 400 miles out of a topped off tank with my 04 Ram/Hemi engine (highway driving). Now i never fill it up unless on a long hunting trip. I am selling my old truck after I get my new ED. She has been a good truck but I am ready to divorce the old gas guzzler.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Aren't you driving a truck with an Italian engine? Didn't we go to war with Italy?

Toyota Tundra has 75% of parts sourced from US/Canada. Ram has 70% US/Canada.

It's the new world economy!
Even better the trans is German.

Reactions: Tupelo

·
Registered
939 Posts
I knew a guy that pumped (filled it up) diesel into his Honda CBR 600 motorcycle.... top that one!!! :cool:
I can do that. Had a buddy that is normally very intelligent fill his V Star 1100 with diesel at a station 200 miles from no where. Luck he was smart enough to know how to drain it himself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts