RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
I tow 7400-7800lbs once/month 8-16hrs roundtrip. I've several long threads in this towing subforum. Coil springs w/ Airlift1000 bags. 3.55 rear end. The truck really does well. Previous tow vehicle was a 2000 F-250 diesel. The F-250 got almost as good mpg towing, but hopeless mpg in DD mode. The F-250 was very loud and it's tight suspension pounded the crap out of me. It was pretty unpleasant to drive. The Ram is like towing in a big luxurious sedan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice. Do you have air suspension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not I sure dont, not yet anyway. With a 5" lift hitch the truck and trailer are almost completely straight. I still have a few inches before it hits the snubbers and the bed/back seat is empty. Lowering the trailer onto the truck does lower it like 4". With airbags I would prob have a slightly better ride I think But I would have to go back out hitch shopping to keep the trailer straight. I might need to go this route if I want to go on a real big trip and carry lots of stuff.

Matthew

·
Registered
174 Posts
image.jpg

I feel out classed by all of the fancy campers and toy haulers!!! This is what I tow, wood. I burn a lot, but I gather anything and everything I can. This is roughly 3-4k lbs and I got about 16mpg with it. Truck did well, now if it was only as easy to get the wood on and off the trailer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Going snowmobiling on the way to Wyoming.
Kudos to you fellows setting parameters for the true capabilities of these trucks. I admire the "let's put it on the ground & see what it'll do" attitude rather than being bound by "paper limitations". I see probably a crew of 4 adults, snow machine in the bed & 24'(?) cargo trailer. Tell us about the weights; snow machine, trailer & tongue weight. Looks like the air suspension is doing a good job keeping it all leveled out. Thanx for the pic.

41 - 60 of 1004 Posts