RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1176 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
We ordered ours with the solar package. So far, everything has worked well.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
833 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
Very cool. I had never seen a weight safe hitch designed to work with a WDH. CAT scales round to the nearest 20lb increment but I bet short of that they give you the same tongue weight numbers. I want to put one on a cat scale and see how it does. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
Still haven't been able to visit a CAT scale (closest one is a good 1.5hr drive) however my local landfill let me use their scale to get an idea of weights. Not entirely sure what the exact pin weight is as there was clearly something altering the weights in the aspect. I'm thinking possible the angle of the 5th wheel on the truck when we tried to get just the weight of the truck with both trailers attached as there's a bit of a ramp to get on the scale. May lower my hitch one more notch to get it as close to level as possible, while still maintaining plenty of bed clearance for the off-road camping we do.

2910kg - just truck weight with trailers

3370kg - total weight of both trailers, but not truck

2900kg - unhitched both trailers, just truck

Scale operator estimated most likely around 1000lbs of pin weight. According to the scale there was only a 10kg difference of truck weight being hitched up and unhitched, which we all know is not accurate. Again, I think possibly the angle of the 5th wheel on the truck when we tried to get the weight of the truck with both trailers hooked up.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
Rear axle on the 5th wheel? No easy way of determining exact weights on axles without visiting the CAT scale. I'm quite certain I'm within all axle weights but I do plan on visiting the CAT scale eventually. As I mentioned there isn't one anywhere near me unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Rear axle on the 5th wheel? No easy way of determining exact weights on axles without visiting the CAT scale. I'm quite certain I'm within all axle weights but I do plan on visiting the CAT scale eventually. As I mentioned there isn't one anywhere near me unfortunately.
No, rear axle on the truck. It's rated at 3900#, and with the sag it looks like you might be way over. It's a critical measurement.

·
Registered
341 Posts
No, rear axle on the truck. It's rated at 3900#, and with the sag it looks like you might be way over. It's a critical measurement.
Dry pin weight of this unit is 500lbs less than the last 5th wheel (27ft Okanagan). I will definitely be checking it but I'm quite confident I'm close to the axle rating of the truck but not over. The beauty of the 5th wheel is the automatic weight transfer you get to the front axle without the need for equalizer bars.

The sag is normal as its just starting to rest on the timbren bumpstops. Without anything on the truck it sits perfectly level with the bilstein 5100s at the 2nd setting if I remember correctly (definitely not the highest lift setting).

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
Bounty is trying ot help bring awareness and thought. The load bearing point is over the rear axle not in front of it. At least on mine and all of them that I have seen. (still far better than at the rear of the truck) Its obvious its not distributing the weight between drive & steer axle as the rear is on the bump stop and nose in the air. The worst part is not the rear sag but the front rise. Think tetter totter with the drive axle being the fulcrum. This brings on a host of ill effects. Raised center of gravity for roll over, less stopping ability less turning traction often squirrely quirky handling. Put that with say wet roads some wind & stupid drivers and it can become a recipe.

Axle to frame air bags would help and work better than Timbren bump stops again for a host of reasons. He should scale this and ideally redistribute some weight where possible. I'm not saying its a dangerous white knuckle ride but he will want to check it out and improve it where he can. I know a former transporter who took an enclosed trailer 3000 miles with his ED before scaling it and delivering it. His rear axle weight was 4,700! He knew it drove and handled poorly but he did not know he was flirting with disaster from an axle failure.

Reactions: Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Bounty is trying ot help bring awareness and thought. The load bearing point is over the rear axle not in front of it.
Yes. 5th wheel isn't the holy grail everyone thinks it is, especially in such a short bed as the 5'7" on a half-ton platform.

@rustydusty1717 no weight is transferred to the front axle. The tongue weight is just moved slightly forward from a bumper-pull trailer. I'd argue a good WDH on a bumper pull still transfers weight to the front axle better than your setup.

I think the 5th wheel shines when it comes to controlling sway. It only helps weight transfer with the longer beds when you can get pin weight in front of the rear axle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bounty is trying ot help bring awareness and thought. The load bearing point is over the rear axle not in front of it. At least on mine and all of them that I have seen. (still far better than at the rear of the truck) Its obvious its not distributing the weight between drive & steer axle as the rear is on the bump stop and nose in the air. The worst part is not the rear sag but the front rise. Think tetter totter with the drive axle being the fulcrum. This brings on a host of ill effects. Raised center of gravity for roll over, less stopping ability less turning traction often squirrely quirky handling. Put that with say wet roads some wind & stupid drivers and it can become a recipe.

Axle to frame air bags would help and work better than Timbren bump stops again for a host of reasons. He should scale this and ideally redistribute some weight where possible. I'm not saying its a dangerous white knuckle ride but he will want to check it out and improve it where he can. I know a former transporter who took an enclosed trailer 3000 miles with his ED before scaling it and delivering it. His rear axle weight was 4,700! He knew it drove and handled poorly but he did not know he was flirting with disaster from an axle failure.
Nose of the truck is not high, that's where it sits completely empty. The rear is sagging 2" from empty due to the timbrens. I agree bags would be better but timbrens are a happy medium for me giving me the nice soft ride when unloaded (unless hitting a large pot hole or other bump) while giving me support while towing. Pin weight of this 5'er is only 500lbs empty. You will get a small amount of weight transfer to your steer axle but it isn't life changing. I would tow with a 5'er over a bumper pull any day of the week. There's a reason they don't allow pulling a 2nd trailer behind a bumper pull and it all comes down to safety.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I would tow with a 5'er over a bumper pull any day of the week. There's a reason they don't allow pulling a 2nd trailer behind a bumper pull and it all comes down to safety.
Yes, the difference is sway control. That's it.

If 500 lbs is sagging that truck that much, I'd question your choice of rear springs. Sumtingwong.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, the difference is sway control. That's it.

If 500 lbs is sagging that truck that much, I'd question your choice of rear springs. Sumtingwong.
Do you not know how timbrens work? They provide 1.5" of "factory suspension" before it sits on the timbrens providing a similar support as bags. Not as supportive as a full on airbag but again, happy medium giving a factory ride when unloaded and additional support for loaded. With the bilstein 5100's on the front on the 2nd setting the truck sits perfectly level, no front end rake/nosediving.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Do you not know how timbrens work?
Sure I do, they're bumpstops.

I just don't think your setup is as ideal as you think. That's still an awful lot of rear sag for '500 lbs of pin weight'. Having a lift in the front can serve to further unload the front axle when the rear suspension is as compressed as in your pic.

End all debate and go determine truck axle weights with the camper hooked up.

We're just here trying to help owners pull safely and make it a more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sure I do, they're bumpstops.

I just don't think your setup is as ideal as you think. That's still an awful lot of rear sag for '500 lbs of pin weight'. Having a lift in the front can serve to further unload the front axle when the rear suspension is as compressed as in your pic.

End all debate and go determine truck axle weights with the camper hooked up.

We're just here trying to help owners pull safely and make it a more enjoyable experience.
Absolutely still planning on visiting the CAT scale to get a more accurate idea on numbers. 500lbs of pin weight dry. Why would I load up and get an idea on weights with the thing dry? It was full of water, propane, clothes, griddle, hoses, extensions cables, tarps, etc etc. I'm guessing I'm around the 1000lbs of pin weight fully loaded. At 105km/h it pulled perfectly straight even with the slight cross wind on my way to the landfill.

·
Super Moderator
4,083 Posts
Yes the purposes here are not to offend create debate or arguments only to share info and make for safe towing. Naturally exchange is required .

rustydusty I see. I wasn't thinking of the 5100 setup for level ride height when I was looking at the picture. So the pic may be a little deceiving. That said as mentioned the 5100's set up for level ride height further unloads the front suspension when towing transfering that weight to the drive axle. You might take a front wheel well measurement unloaded and then again with the loaded trailer. I do this to get my setup in the ballpark before I take it to a Cat scale. It may be different with the 5100 setup as it is, but with stock setting shocks anything with more than 1/2" of rise represents a lot of steer axle unload.

I don't think BH was saying to get your scale slips with the trailer dry. Get one of just your truck and then one of your truck and loaded trailer. We had another guy in the past with a 5er that towed a boat behind it. Very nice setup. I think his CVW was 17,100 or 17,300. I believe tuned with brake, TBC, and air bags. Think he even took it over passes to get to a lake. No doubt a work out for the truck.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes the purposes here are not to offend create debate or arguments only to share info and make for safe towing. Naturally exchange is required .

rustydusty I see. I wasn't thinking of the 5100 setup for level ride height when I was looking at the picture. So the pic may be a little deceiving. That said as mentioned the 5100's set up for level ride height further unloads the front suspension when towing transfering that weight to the drive axle. You might take a front wheel well measurement unloaded and then again with the loaded trailer. I do this to get my setup in the ballpark before I take it to a Cat scale. It may be different with the 5100 setup as it is, but with stock setting shocks anything with more than 1/2" of rise represents a lot of steer axle unload.

I don't think BH was saying to get your scale slips with the trailer dry. Get one of just your truck and then one of your truck and loaded trailer. We had another guy in the past with a 5er that towed a boat behind it. Very nice setup. I think his CVW was 17,100 or 17,300. I believe tuned with brake, TBC, and air bags. Think he even took it over passes to get to a lake. No doubt a work out for the truck.
I agree completely. I'm also interested to see how much weight the hitch of the 2nd trailer is putting on the back of the 5er which should be relieving some of the pin weight on the truck. I don't anticipate pin weight to be a problem whatsoever as this 5er is 4FT shorter and lighter in all aspects from the previous one that I pulled through the mountains of western Canada no problems. Still be nice to know where the weights are for each axle for a conversation piece around the fire.

1121 - 1140 of 1176 Posts