RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Eco. My truck sometimes shutters when shifting, mostly from 2nd to 3rd gear, but occasionally other times as well and seems like it is getting more frequent. The dealer has tried to replicate the problem multiple times but was never able to do so. The last time I took it in I emailed the service advisor a few videos that I had taken while driving when it happened. They kept it overnight and said that it was just boost escaping the turbo? That seem right? My warranty is going to run out soon and I'm worried right after it does, I will have a major issue to deal with.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Smells fishy to me. If boost is escaping the turbo, I would hope that it was passing through a blow-off valve, which should be limited to a slight whistling sound at best. If it is "escaping" some other way, somehow I don't think that is normal. Granted, I cannot see "loose boost" causing the type of shuddering you describe. Seems more likely to be driveline related, maybe abnormal clutch pack slippage in the transmission during that particular shift? Checking trans fluid isn't the easiest thing to do, or I would suggest you check that. Low fluid could cause transmission anomalies that could mimic this symptom.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,677 Posts
There is no blow-off valve valve in the EcoD turbo. VGT are somewhat notorious for "turbo farts", they usually happen when on heavy then off completely. The boost pressure is releaved through the impeller/guide vane, almost sounds like a fart.
If it's just a sound that's probably something caused by driving style, if you can feel the engine stuttering then that's something mechanical.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
73 Posts
I've got a brand new engine installed, new turbo, everything. It does same exact turbo bark as yours. Mine does it only when I'm hard on throttle and then release off, but it sounds exactly the same.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I tried uploading videos but couldn't get it to work. Here is a link Truck
Hi: Howardzg... IMHO it sounds like your truck is sighing after the load is off. What happens if you hold the tranny in low gear and prevent it from shifting? If it makes the noise all the time that might help the "Stealership" figure it out!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Howardzg,
I have a 2016 and have never heard that sound. Doubtful it's a normal turbo sound, especially at the modest rpm's. Set up a meeting with the service advisor and the service manager to review your videos. If they still think it's nothing, get them to put it in writing, with your description and their conclusion. At least then, you'd have a chance later when it's past warranty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
After seeing the video, that is definitely turbo bark. However, you shouldn't be getting turbo bark during a normal 2-3 shift. I also have a 2015 and can cause mine to bark if I'm hard on the throttle and then quickly off the throttle completely (like @Crash68 said), but it doesn't (and shouldn't) happen during normal driving.

It is not "boost escaping the turbo" as the dealer says.

Turbo bark, also called compressor surge, is caused when the boost created by the turbo exceeds the airflow requirement of the engine. for example when RPM decreases rapidly and the turbo continues to produce boost (like when you're hard on the throttle and then quickly let off :) ). because the engine doesn't use all the air provided, the air has nowhere to go and causes pressure fluctuations in the charge air piping and intake. This is the same phenomenon that causes water hammer in poorly assembled plumbing. When these fluctuations hit the compressor wheel (the part of the turbo that creates boost) they cause the noise known as turbo bark. It is effectively the air having nowhere to go but backward through the turbo, and the compressor wheel fighting against it to push it back into the intake. As you can imagine, these pressure fluctuations pushing back against the compressor wheel put a lot of load on it and the bearings, and can cause premature bearing wear and failure.

As @v8318cid said, a blow off valve can relieve this pressure and eliminate turbo bark, but as @Crash68 said, the EcoD doesn't have a blow off valve. The turbo vanes should be adjusting to reduce the affect the exhaust has on the turbine wheel (the part spun by the exhaust), thereby slowing the compressor wheel and reducing boost.

If you are experiencing turbo bark on an EcoD with all OE equipment, something is wrong. it could be the turbo itself, the vanes or their actuator, throttle body, any number of sensors that are not reading properly and causing excessive boost, etc.

It is possible that aftermarket equipment such as a tune could cause turbo bark. While a cold air intake or new charge air piping or an intercooler likely won't cause turbo bark, they may make it more noticeable.

Reactions: KRom
1 - 9 of 9 Posts