RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Sorry for the long post, but I've searched everywhere and found a few with similar issues, but no resolution... and I miss driving my truck! Forgive me if this has been covered/resolved and buried in the forum somewhere.

I bought my 14' ED a few years ago with 50k miles it and put on another 50k miles thanks to a long work commute and a few road trips over the years. The truck as been awesome for the most part, I change the oil and filter every 10k miles, and fuel filter every 20k using Mopar filters and now updated oil. last year the truck shut off on me while idling in traffic with CEL code P0087 (Fuel Rail Press. Too Low), started back up with no issue and I was able to get home. Since the oil/filter and fuel filter change were due, I changed both, primed the fuel pump (key on, let pump run/ key off, repeat x6) as usual and the truck was fine. No issues at all through 2 oil changes and 1 fuel filter change. Changed the oil and fuel filter about 4k miles ago and last week it shut off at idle again with CEL/code P016F. Thinking it was a faulty filter somehow (Mopar), changed it again, primed, and was good to go... until a week later, the truck shut off again while idling with CEL on and P016F code. So I tried something- I started it in my driveway, let it idle for a few minutes and it shut off with the same code. I primed the fuel pump 6 times, started it again, and let it idle for about 15 mins with no issue. Started to drive it to work the next day, and shut off again as I was idling down my driveway. Parked it and have been driving my car since. I hate dealers and mechanics- been lied to too many times so I'm hoping to either fix this myself (prior aircraft mechanic/ now drive-way mechanic), or at least learn as much as I can about it if I have to take it somewhere. (not all chicks are clueless when it comes to car/truck maintenance!)

In short:
- Truck: 14' ED with ~104k miles currently (all highway) w/ GDE Hot Tune since 50k mi
- Problem: Shuts off at idle but runs fine at 1000+RPM (first code- P0087, then code P016F, but not both at same time)
- Tried: Changed fuel filter multiple times (w/ Mopar)
- Fuel level rarely low enough for low fuel light / only fuel up at 2 local locations. Filled tank up to full, still shut-off at idle with P016F code.
- Thoughts: After a ton a research, I'm thinking it may be the HPFP failing, but would that only be an issue at idle? If I stop and keep it revved to 1000 RPM, its fine...let it idle normal (850-ish?), it shuts down with code...

Any info or suggestions appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,782 Posts
I wonder if there something restricting the in tank lift pump, could act like a plugged fuel filter. I would imagine there is a way to check the pressure coming out of that pump.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm having the same problem, Code P016F.
Any resolution?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was going to change the fuel filter until I reread the OP's post and saw that changing the fuel filter didn't solve the problem.
Guess I'll have to take it to the dealer, (Ugh!).

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Please post back with what they find. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine went belly up Tuesday. P0087 and p016f. Asked on the eco diesel Facebook page and everyone swears it’s the fuel filter or the big electric plug under the cab. Did both and it was still hard to start but it ran. I drove mine 1000ft it hunched 3 times and is sitting in a drive way I had to push it to. I’m seeing people say everything from injector, to fuel leak on the fuel rails, the plug for the rail pressure sensor, to even wiggling wires under the hood as a temporary fix. I’m at a loss myself but I’m wanting to say it’s the fuel rail pressure sensor on mine. I don’t want to swear to that but that’s where my thought process is going. Either way parts prices on this eco are much nicer then my Cummins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**UPDATE**

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been having issues trying to log in on here. Anyways, heres whats going on with my truck now-

After going through 3 fuel filters thinking they were the issue, I tried a fuel additive- Hot Shot's Secret P040432Z Diesel Extreme Clean and Boost. I added it to a full tank per the instructions for the best clean and the truck ran amazing! felt better, maybe a little increase in power, no low fuel pressure issues. I thought that was it, the additive must have cleaned whatever was causing the issue. However, 1/2-3/4 into the next tank, it started it again. I remote started my truck as I usually do in the morning, and when I walked out after about 10 mins it shut off because of low fuel press. Started up fine and it happened again that day while idling in traffic. I put some additive in, and it ran fine...? if I don't use the additive, I get the low fuel press. shut-off (still only at idle), and when I add it- truck runs great. Im wondering if the GDE Hot Tune has anything to do with it since I'm sure the fuel parameters were adjusted.... but I ran the tune for over a year with no issue. I did get the updated tune when that was available... and this started after I swapped the new one in (not right after). Any ideas? thoughts? anything..?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine did this just last week. I started the truck remotely, only to walk out to it a few minutes later and it was off. When I started it, I got the CEL. I took it to the nearest auto parts store to check the code. P0087. The truck however, ran fine. Checking the fuel level, I was at about a ¼ tank, so I went to the nearest Shell station and filled up. I drove it home later that day, and the next morning it was gone. I started to think about where I had filled up prior, and a few days earlier I had stopped at a different fuel station in a part of town (inner city area) that probably isn’t frequented by many diesel vehicles. I put in five gallons to get me by and left. Maybe I got some bad diesel. Not sure. So far it hasn’t died on me while driving, but I have noticed some minor shuddering/vibration at idle.

I am also approaching the change interval for the fuel filter, so it’s also likely to be a contributor.

Haven’t gotten the P016f yet.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
other threads have mentioned not to let the tank go below 1/4 , because the HPFP makes fuel very warm , and the unused fuel
goes back to the fuel tank , the lift pump in the tank is cooled by fuel itself , and when running low often the cooling could be less than desired ,
and in time the lift pump in the tank could suffer loss of seal and at low level there is lower pressure from lift pump going to the rest of the fuel system
soon as the lift pump is submerged again with more fuel in the tank it would be all right .
I have no link to those threads but they are in this site here , I've read them .
Is this what you guys are experiencing , mostly at low level , and was truck run mostly low for months over and over ????.

·
Registered
114 Posts
other threads have mentioned not to let the tank go below 1/4 , because the HPFP makes fuel very warm , and the unused fuel
goes back to the fuel tank , the lift pump in the tank is cooled by fuel itself , and when running low often the cooling could be less than desired ,
and in time the lift pump in the tank could suffer loss of seal and at low level there is lower pressure from lift pump going to the rest of the fuel system
soon as the lift pump is submerged again with more fuel in the tank it would be all right .
I have no link to those threads but they are in this site here , I've read them .
Is this what you guys are experiencing , mostly at low level , and was truck run mostly low for months over and over ????.
Very useful info. Thank you for posting that.

I typically do not let my fuel level get below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for that info, after this happened the last time and I took it back to the dealer without any luck getting a diagnosis I tried to remove all possible variables; changed the fuel filter, filled up at a different station, did an oil change, and filled up with DEF. That was a couple of weeks ago now but *knock on wood* it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The fuller the tank is the less work the fuel pump inthe tank has to do. The lower the battery voltage the slower the lift pump will run and the less it will pump. The more plugged the filter the more work the pump has to do. The colder the fuel is the harder it pumps through the filters and lines. SO, I am wondering if there is a combo of things that canhappen with a lift pump that is on its way out and is binding slightly so it turns a bit slower, coupled with a nearly empty tank, or a slightly bad battery so at idle when the alternator isn't putting out so much with headlights or AC or heater fan and mirros and window defrosters on voltage is a bit low and the pump cannot do its job but once theRPMS are up the alternator brings the voltage up and it is OK.

Seems like there might be a combo of things that could be happening and might explain the various symptoms you folks are having.

EDIT when I say pump less above I mean both volume and pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All great info! I looking into that before, so I understand how running the fuel level down low often could cause damage to the pump, that was actually my first though after reading about it. I hardly let my tank get below 1/4 before refueling (of course there have been times in the past where I've been lower than I'd like). Whats throwing me off is the fact that the diesel fuel additive fixes the issue. Its been consistent for months (as I try to figure this out). I'll add the Hot Shots additive to a full tank and it runs/idles great until about 1/2 through a second tank. So I'll add the more additive for the "new" fuel...truck runs fine again. As far as I know, fuel additive shouldn't affect the operation of the pump at all. My theory is that it has something to do with the tune... like how a gas car/truck that requires premium doesn't run right on lower quality gas. I'm going to write to GDE and pretty much copy/past what I wrote here. Maybe theres a glitch in my upgraded hot tune that I got from them. I did a little research on tuning- I have a lifted Jeep TJ that was subject #1 in "Operation Turbo TJ" many years ago. Poor thing never has been tuned right, so I started learning about the tuning process. I'll update with the response I get from GDE.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll throw out another option to what may be happening based on my HPFP failure and subsequent deep dive into this subject..
I dont know what is in that fuel additive your using but if there is a lubricity additive then it could be a wear/tolerance issue with your HPFP. The US diesel fuel has a lower lubricity rating than those across the pond and if your components are slightly out of tolerance it may be increasing wear and decreasing efficiency of the pump and therefore throwing the code when it's not generating the pressure it should be. The additive may be making the fuel just slippery enough to make the issue not show up. I don't know how much or any warranty you have left on your truck but be advised that if the HPFP goes it will be an $8K+ bill.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
LinzD083 , the fuel lower than 1/4 is said to be hard on the " lift pump " located Inside your fuel tank
because that pump is cooled by the fuel itself , does not have the bad effect on the HPFP .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts