RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone crawl under your truck yet and notice the unprotected plastic tanks and that they hang below the frame? Wish the protection package included skid plates under these. I'll be considering aftermarket or custom aluminum skid plates.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts

First I thought you were nuts. Now I think it's me.

From the front the skid plates are ferrous metal until you get to the one under the DEF tank. I hung a magnetic flashlight on a bracket under the main fuel tank. That big skid plate under the tank in front of the flashlight is the DEF tank. That skid plate is a thick, non-metal plate.

Now back under the tank is ...well nothing. I hung that flashlight to show where the tank is. It's magnetically attached to a bracket the tank is hung on. That's metal yet the tank, from what I can tell, is ALSO METAL. It's just not magnetic.

The DEF tank is obviously plastic. The fuel tank looks to be made of some thick material at the bottom. It seems there's a weld about 2/3rds the way up the tank and the top is a thinner material. Whatever it is, it's NOT magnetic.

So the answer about a skid plate under the fuel tank is ...???

There are skid plates under everything in front of that fuel tank. Some are magnetic steel, some are something else. They ARE skid plates. The tank itself may be made out of some heavy material on the bottom part. Maybe the tank is a liner inside that? I saw no drain plug. Maybe it's just a heavy bottom but that should have some kind of drain.

Drank and ate too much. Grandkids and relatives just left. I was happy until now. Think I'll go for a motorcycle ride I don't know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have inspected a little closer. I only crawled under at the dealership. Maybe it is stout enough even though I don't see a bolt on skid plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts