RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got the recall done, and honestly I am absolutely disgusted with how the truck runs now...

I have a 2016 outdoorsman I believe, and I have already read quite a bit on this site but I'm still not quite sure of a couple of things so I needed to ask ::

What all do I need to order from GDE in order to get my truck back up in performing from what everyone says better than it did when I bought it...

Do I need to order the engine and transmission tuning in order to get the best out of the truck?

Or do I simply need to order a new ECU and send my old one back?

Any advice is welcomed :: I got the truck for long distance travel and now I'm getting atrocious fuel mileage and I can tell the truck isn't shifting right

Thank you in advance
Kahl

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Welcome - First Post!

Follow the information above. You will do more than get back to normal. Your new normal with GDE is a much higher level of satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Welcome Kahl ,
first thing you will need to do is take a picture of the injector code sticker on front of your engine , on HPFP cover.
note your truck's Vin number ,
make sure you know the rear axle ratio of your truck , 3.55 or 3.92 , only 2 possible options on Ecos.

using link in post # 2 , click " engine Tune " tab at top .
then click the Ram 1500 box at left .
on right side you use the dropdown boxes to put in right info ,
if you don't have a monitor to already see the soot % level , you may be interested in the regen message option ,
if you pull trailers in hilly terrain ; the enginebrake option is for you .
..in the Mail in ECM box , you will pay $500 , if you return your stock ECM , pick "" ECM exchange return on ECM refund ""
==>the extra $500 will be refunded to you when GDE receives your stock ECM in the box they will provide for you .
if you change your mind , and decide to keep stock ecm for dealer visits , GDE will keep the $500
if you were to decide to keep the stock ECM it would be cheaper to buy a used stock ECM at +/- $250 to $300 and
send that module in to GDE to have Hot tune applied to it .
the high idle option ,,, well witout that option , the hot tune retains the high idle already in the stock tune at 1400 RPM when cold ,and on "Park"
good enough for me , the option takes you to 1650 RPM when cold ,and on "Park" .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You shouldn't have any issues ordering your GDE tune unless you live in CA.

I have seen GDE post that if you order the engine tune first and drive it a bit you will appreciate the transmission tune even more because then you'll see the difference that each makes.
I don't know about GDE but I often recommend that to new GDE customers. I kind of wish I had driven my truck a little longer while stock when new to have a baseline before installing the Hot Tune. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Bounty Hunter;981672... I kind of wish I had driven my truck a little longer while stock when new to have a baseline before installing the Hot Tune. Oh well.[/QUOTE said:
Easily experienced , place one of those between your foot and accelerator and go for a ride ,
close to the slow reaction with stock tune ,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Welcome. See posts above. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Get the GDE tune. Unbelievable day and night difference in my truck at least. Put mine on this afternoon and my only complaint is I should have done it sooner.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Just as it is never too late to stop smoking GRIFF4 ,
it is never too late to help your engine from choking on its own soot recirculated by the EGR
that's over once the Hot tune is in ,
the good behavior compared to post AEM misery is a bonus .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just as it is never too late to stop smoking GRIFF4 ,
it is never too late to help your engine from choking on its own soot recirculated by the EGR
that's over once the Hot tune is in ,
the good behavior compared to post AEM misery is a bonus .
Kazimodo definitely lol. I am not impressed to easily but man is that tune worth every cent. Maybe it was driving it to long after AEM update that made it seem such a massive difference. It sure seems to drive better then before the AEM update also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Living in Northern Virginia, I have to pass bi annual smog check. Wondering if this will be an issue when they stick that probe up the tailpipe... if I have the GDE tune? KB

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
Living in Northern Virginia, I have to pass bi annual smog check. Wondering if this will be an issue when they stick that probe up the tailpipe... if I have the GDE tune? KB
Virginia does not stick a probe in the tailpipe unless the vehicle is older than 1980 model. They hook up to the OBD connector just like the dealer does when you visit. As long as the on board diagnostic systems state ready with no errors or codes all is good. You can also drive through one of the emission monitors located throughout the counties where testing is required and pass without visiting a testing facility. Luckily I don’t live in one of the counties that test but I do drive by the testing equipment fairly often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts