RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I changed for the first time the fuel filter on my 2018 1500 Ecodiesel. I was shocked when I removed the filter cap and imprinted on the filter was MADE IN CHINA!
Yes I purchased this truck brand new and its supposedly OEM fuel filter looked identical to the iFJF brand that I purchased as a replacement. Looks like even RAM is installing OEM knockoffs?
As a final note, the fuel that remained in the filter cap was cloudy and dirty looking. I was shocked just how contaminated the fuel looked. BTW; I do have 23K miles on the truck....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
There are other parts on your truck that are made in China as well. I've used made in Korea K&N oil filters and Napa Gold oil and fuel filters for 100,000 miles, btw. Like you, I try not to support the "Chicoms". Would be nice to keep our money in North America, though.

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes it did, not a genuine marked MOPAR!
Looks like RAM is cutting corners to same a dollar?
This is NOT news. Many of the parts that are installed on North American vehicles are made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, Canada, EU, etc, etc. It's called global trade and it's been going on since before Marco Polo traveled the Silk Road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is NOT news. Many of the parts that are installed on North American vehicles are made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, Canada, EU, etc, etc. It's called global trade and it's been going on since before Marco Polo traveled the Silk Road.
This is fine, but RAM should not push (demand) MOPAR parts when they use Chinese knockoffs......
All I'm saying!

·
Registered
989 Posts
This is fine, but RAM should not push (demand) MOPAR parts when they use Chinese knockoffs......
All I'm saying!
The new parts in your truck are NOT Chinese "knock-offs". They are parts made somewhere other than in the USA, for FCA, to FCA spec's. If you are concerned about their legitimacy, take the old part to your dealer and ask them about it.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,318 Posts
Did anyone actually think that RAM made some special oil filter somwhere? They dont have special oil either. Folks who didnt know this have their heads in the sand.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The new parts in your truck are NOT Chinese "knock-offs". They are parts made somewhere other than in the USA, for FCA, to FCA spec's. If you are concerned about their legitimacy, take the old part to your dealer and ask them about it.
You beat me to it ! Per FCA Spec. Just B/C they were made in China Does not mean they are cheaply made

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
I was referring to the fuel filter, and that was the determining factor for me. Y ou can believe and do what you want, I've been a mechanic for almost 50 and do have a little knowledge.
Fuel filter spec is 3 microns and ecoguard filters are built to the same standard but yes the wix filter does not have the water separator design built in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fuel filter spec is 3 microns and ecoguard filters are built to the same standard but yes the wix filter does not have the water separator design built in.
And the majority of the aftermarket filters are of lesser quality, I had always been a strong proponent of WIX , NAPA GOLD & CARQUEST GOLD LINE, BUT I couldn't use them on the 6 liter Fords I had in my fleet. I wasn't aware that the ECOGUARD FILTERS met the OEM spec, I'll have to check it out.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Yes it did, not a genuine marked MOPAR!
Looks like RAM is cutting corners to same a dollar?
Right, .0000000001of a penny saved by not labeling a perfectly acceptable part made by a computer run cnc machine in china instead of the US, with parts sourced from 15 different countries.

I'm driving an 18 volvo s90 T8 made in china, it's fantastic, 98mpg for the last 7 days, 403hp, 0-60 in 4.5, .91 on the skidpad and it's a luxury car, I'm hoping Fiat get's bought by NIO or some other chinese company and starts making viable products.

Reactions: WayneB

·
Registered
852 Posts
Right, .0000000001of a penny saved by not labeling a perfectly acceptable part made by a computer run cnc machine in china instead of the US, with parts sourced from 15 different countries.

I'm driving an 18 volvo s90 T8 made in china, it's fantastic, 98mpg for the last 7 days, 403hp, 0-60 in 4.5, .91 on the skidpad and it's a luxury car, I'm hoping Fiat get's bought by NIO or some other chinese company and starts making viable products.
It's not only built in China, Volvo Cars Group has been Chicom owned since 2010 by way of Ford. Volvo's reliability has been nothing to get excited about and I suspect that won't change anytime soon. I wouldn't wish a Chicom buyout for any company.

I like Volvo's plan for new model designs to be all electric by 2021. We'll see if that comes to pass.

Hybrids do exceptionally well for short hops. Medium distance trips and/or highwy use and fuel economy comes down to earth.

·
Administrator
10,002 Posts
It's not only built in China, Volvo has been Chicom owned since 2010. Volvo's reliability has been nothing to get excited about and I suspect that won't change anytime soon. I wouldn't wish a Chicom buyout for any company.

I like Volvo's plan for new model designs to be all electric by 2021. We'll see if that comes to pass.

Hybrids do exceptionally well for short hops. Medium distance trips and/or highwy use and fuel economy comes down to earth.
Not to mention the cost of electricity and the fossil fuel used to generate. :) :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today I changed for the first time the fuel filter on my 2018 1500 Ecodiesel. I was shocked when I removed the filter cap and imprinted on the filter was MADE IN CHINA!
Yes I purchased this truck brand new and its supposedly OEM fuel filter looked identical to the iFJF brand that I purchased as a replacement. Looks like even RAM is installing OEM knockoffs?
As a final note, the fuel that remained in the filter cap was cloudy and dirty looking. I was shocked just how contaminated the fuel looked. BTW; I do have 23K miles on the truck....
is there any problem when some parts are made from them? oh sorry for the silly question. but mine has too.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
is there any problem when some parts are made from them? oh sorry for the silly question. but mine has too.
Most of the truck components come from manufacturers all over the world, Ram is italian and french owned now! Its no different than buying any other foreign car assembled in the states except it used to be an american company. As long as the parts are quality made which is what FCA speced and regulated you should be fine, Actually if your really savy you can find those very same parts for about a quarter of the cost since fca has a hefty markup. The hard part is knowing who FCA buys the parts from for that part.

The same thing happened to Ford and I found that out with my Exs ford escape I got the parts I needed from the former ford american manufacturer who was no longer sanctioned by ford since ford went to china as the supplier. I also saved about 65%,
Also with GM with AC DELCO years ago. GM sold Delpi thermal systems (local to me) on paper so they could buy more foriegn parts for less even while they still owned them and at that time companies like Honda were buying Dephis radiators for US made vehicles while GM bought chinese radiators. The whole time all the paychecks at Delphi still came from GM. This was supposedly done as part of the trade agreement.. Point is parts are now contracted to manufacturers all over the world. Many of your old school well known american aftermarket performance parts companies are now also foreign made and sold under these names thanks to companies like honeywell who buy them out, close them down and sell santioned knockoffs under the name for marketing reasons. Last I checked, the most american made truck with the most american made parts was the Honda Ridgeline... how ironic is that!

I used to own an air cooled vw kit car and I bought four matching autolite spark plugs.... They all seemed to look a bit different and quality was all over the place, on closer look the four spark plugs were made in 3 different countries! (Honeywell bought autolite and now contracts the stuff out to multiple random manufacturers). They also own Fram so beware

some companies are more decietful and use loopholes to state made in america. I have a friend who installed power cords on chinese made pumps, they then package them up and print "made in america with US and foriegn compnents"... He works for an old american pump company who likely sells these pumps for 5 times what they buy them for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts